Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Higher Level Paper 2

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

I found paper one to be OK, nothing too great. I did text 1 question B and text 2 question A. The question A selection seemed to be the hardest part - the ideal would be to do text 1, Q a and b. Didn't fail, but definetly didn't get over a C. Composition choices were ok, but again mine was a bit ****. Did the social rejection one, lots of rhetoric. Don't think it was very cohesive though, lots of jumping from point to point.

Paper 2 - another fcuk up. The Silas Marner question should have been gorgeous (love). But I fecked it all up. Rambled on telling the story for too long, didn't get a chance to elaborate on the "love and happiness" thing. My ending paragraph was the most unbelievably crap ending ever. My comparative was also of a high quality of ****. Totally lacked cohesion and my comparisons were weak. More like after-thoughts than the basis of my answer. Crap. Unseen poetry was ok. I think. Could somebody post their interpretation of the poem and the general gist of their answer (question 2 preferably)?.
    Poetry was unbelievably bad. I was 100% sure last night that Dickinson would come up, didn't both reading anybody elses. Then I go into the exam and nearly feel like crying when I don't see any dickinson. Did Hopkins in the end, couldn't even remember the names of the poems. Got ONE feckin quote in "the world is charged with the grandeur of God". And thats only because it was in the feckin title. Used instress/inscape alot though, which apparently is a good thing. Overall, have a general feeling of being screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

For Text 2 question B was it necessary to write it in a special format? It said 'write the text of his report' so I just wrote it in a normal essay format. When I left the exam centre a guy told me I could lose marks immediately for not using the report format, that true? :mad:

Anyway for the rest of the paper I'm sure I did fairly well, wrote a decent essay on childhood memories and my comprehension was grand I thought.

Paper 2 was just lashing down everything I knew, nothing I didn't know came up so I was flyin. The Plath question was so easy. Overall I think I did alright but its English so you never really know.

Originally posted by Healio
    four page literary genre, three page kavanagh, three page macbeth, and a two page mahon just in case.

Just as a matter of interest, how many words do you have on a line, on average?

Originally posted by Swifty
    For Text 2 question B was it necessary to write it in a special format? It said 'write the text of his report' so I just wrote it in a normal essay format. When I left the exam centre a guy told me I could lose marks immediately for not using the report format, that true? :mad:

That's the only thing that stopped me from doing that question, which was grand if it wasn't for the format question. I was going to do the standard report fromat from business, but thought I'd be better off just not doing it just in case. I'd say that format might have been important, although it was a bit ambiguous, especially when it's a question B...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

from what i remember of the poem...

2 (i): I choose the line that went something like "and hear the singing from their horse throats/tear-clogged thorats"

I choose it on the basis that this shows how the poet wishes her people to be free. She wants them to be free, and hopes that one day they will be able to sing songs from their culture without fear of reprival.

(ii) Hopeful, as the poet talks about "catching sunshine" and talks of other things that could be done by the people in the future...

For Text 2 question B was it necessary to write it in a special format? It said 'write the text of his report' so I just wrote it in a normal essay format.

I agree. It just wanted the body of the text, not the flapps and add-ons that go with a report... i did standard essay format

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Just as a matter of interest, how many words do you have on a line, on average?

eh, come again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Paper1) I wrote nearly 5 pages on my essay, 1 page on my section 1, nearly 1 on my section B

Paper 2) 4 pages on Macbeth, 3 pages on comparitive and 3.5 pages on poetry. 2/3 of a page on unseen poetry.

I average 9 words per line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Originally posted by subway_ie
    That's the only thing that stopped me from doing that question, which was grand if it wasn't for the format question. I was going to do the standard report fromat from business, but thought I'd be better off just not doing it just in case. I'd say that format might have been important, although it was a bit ambiguous, especially when it's a question B...

That's annoying me now, I didn't think I just started my answer. If I do lose marks I hope it's not much and hope my essay can make up for it :(

Originally posted by Healio
    eh, come again?

How many words do you normally fit on a line? On an average line (on most lines really) I'd get about 10-11 words. So I wrote:
    Paper 1:
    Question A - 2.5 Pages
    Question B - 3 Pages
    Composition - 4.5 Pages
    Paper 2:
    Single: 5 Pages
    Comparative: 5 Pages
    Unseen Poetry: 2 Pages
    Poetry: 4 Pages.

Originally posted by Swifty
    That's annoying me now, I didn't think I just started my answer. If I do lose marks I hope it's not much and hope my essay can make up for it :(

You'll know when they release the marking schemes in late July, so only about a month and a half to wait. Can't have been *that* many points going for layout, if any. I'd say a max of 10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

i think this "informedboy" should be banned for ruining some many peoples test. I was smart and paid no attention but still what a wanker.

NO MORE ENGLISH EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

id say 14 words plus, i typed out a essay on kavanagh which i had written 4 pages long, font 12 it was six pages in microsoft word, if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

No paper 1 on me at the moment.

Comprehensions were simple, I thought. I answered B in Comp. 2 and A in Comp 3. My report on that new guy at work was alright. I started with Employee : Paul Worel and then went into the report. I meant to sign the report ''Mr. Puddleworth'' at the end, but forgot.

Comp 3, Question A, I only got part 1 done. I left this section till last and ran out of time.

I started the morning with the essay - one I had prepared, slightly plagarised from Band of Brothers. The ****ing essay title's they gave us were brutal though. I wrote on Title 6 - something about power, or strength or some ****. Wrote about 5 and a half pages of an essay, vaguely implied the title in one or two sentences.
    I was going to finish at about 3 pages, but there was only one plot in them, and I wanted to so a sub-plot. Spent too much time on the essay, though I had to finish it - If I didn't I'd lose a good few marks I'm sure.
    Essay worked out,... quite alright.

I suppose I wrote about 10 or so pages in Paper 1, with a page of plan for the essay.

Paper 2 in hand - I think the bitch of the supervisor took my Paper 1. I've got times, pages and notes written on each page.

Section 1: Decided to do the Macbeth question after looking at section 2. My texts are Silas Marner, On the waterfront and Wuthering Heights - they all revolve around the theme of love, so I done Macbeth Q1 - ''ruthless ambition'' and ''tortured by regret''. Wrote 4 and a half pages.

Section 2: Themes or Issues - Q1. Wrote on OTW, SM and WH on the theme of Love. Wrote 3 and three quarter pages on that.

Section 3: A - Unseen Poem I left until I was finished everything else. I flew through it, wrote about a page with a few quotes thrown in. It's only worth 20 marks, but my Kavanagh question wasn't as good as i'd hoped. I wrote the response to the above poem - Q1.
    B - Prescribed Poetry. I pissed myslef laughing when I couldn't see Dickinson. Everyones jaws dropped in the room. A lot of people I know were banking on her. I was banking on Kavanagh, and the question was so general!. I only wrote on Inniskeen and Canal Bank. Got mixed up with Canal Bank and Lines Written in the end, so didn't write much on CBW. I wrote 3 pages in all.

That's what, 4 1/2, 3 3/4, 1, 3 Pages = 12 and a bit pages.

Delighted with it all. It was all fairly general (Kavanagh, Themes and Issues, Macbeth was a bit of a **** :), Essay and Comprehensions were alright. Pity I didnt get to finish the Comp 3.

Maths and Irish, both Ordinary tomorrow. Not looking forward :).
    To bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

so yeah, i prayed to bob dylan wed. morning for an easy, open question on mahon (oh and kavanagh and dickinson for me mates) and he came through.

dylan delivers people. i asked him for no theorems in maths today aswell, and he works.

I LIKED OUR ENGLISH PAPERS!!

i did mahon/the ruthless ambition for macbeth

the two part question on themes and issues for the shift in power in relationships in amongst women/cinema paradiso/playboy.--- the tipping of the salt in amonst women against the fire in cinema paradiso, then when christy hits mahon the proper 'clout of the loy' in playboy.

in paper one i did the story about paul. paul moved to youghal because of decentralisation. i saw the word 'titter' and went for it.
    i hadn't prepared it...i just went a bit nuts. i did a story plan though, wich was new to me! oh and i did the welcoming talk to the first years. cos i'm so luvvly.

i wrote on five poems in the poetry which is now seeming like waaaaaay too much!!!
    rathlin, as it should be, chinese restaurant, after the titanic and grandfather.
    i said he only used simple language and images. then i said, except when he uses ****e like 'oneirc' and 'somnolent' to isolate the reader cos they should be cut off like the island is from civilisation. which is a bit contradictory.

in the unseen i chose the one bout her wishing to capture their laughter in a bowl.

in macbeth im managed to wangle in my 'i feel macbeth greets the air-drawn dagger with a weary air of sad familiarity, having already killed duncan a thousand times in his mind.' and that that was unlike duncy, cos he just had the 'cursed thoughts' but left them be. i get that into every macbeth q i do!!! i said that showed how ruthless his ambition was and ****ed on for ages.

i did bout eleven/twelve pages, in both, but i do have rather small handwriting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

The amount of pages I did can only be represented in scientific notation

Advertisement