Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

isdn

• 08-06-2004 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭

hey i just want to know are the games i play online with a 56k connection now be even better with isdn 64k
    just want to the ping and how much lag
    games i play are

call of duty ,mods included ,revolt

battlefield 1942

unreal tournament 2004

medal of honor allied assult

far cry

halo

can anyone tell me how low would the ping be in these games please:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

No idea.

But keep your connection set to 56k in BF. Less lag that way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I play,COD,DOD,CS,BF1942,BFV,UT2004 and many mods all online and ping between 30-90 constant on European servers with 64k ISDN.
    Gaming is sweet with ISDN but downloading i only get 7 or so kbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I really think getting ISDN would be a complete sideward step. Really, unless Eircom reduce the costs involved it's utterly redundant.

Get yourself BB if it's at all feasible. You can get yourself up to 4 months free now I believe, at least try it out and see how it is for you.

I have ISDN, it served its purpose for me over the last couple of years, now it's a hindrance to me upgrading to broadband, it gives decent enough pings but with not much better than 56k downloads. Avoid it if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Get DSL instead of ISDN if you can, it is cheaper in the long run if you spend any decent length of time online. You would have to pay to downgrade your ISDN line to analogue for this but you will save money on only having to pay rental on a single line. You also have the bonus of not tying up the line when you're online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ISDN = It still does noting tbh

Get broadband if you can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i know bb would be a hole lot better but i cant get in my area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I just upgraded from 56k to BB.
    Oh BF1942 how i love you :D
    Also hooked on wolfenstein:ET UT2004 and COD. so sweeeet!

im getting my line upgraded for 119 plus im then going to iol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

I have isdn and it's better than the normal 56k line, but it's still very sh*te compared to broadband. I'm with utvipxl, so I can only use one line, so I'm getting 7k a second. ISDN is much better on the FTP filesharing programs like kazzalite, download a song in 6 mins instead of a half an hour with your normal 56k line.

Still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to dear at the moment, costing me more than broadband, and I'm only getting a stinking 64k line (as with you, I can't get it in my area).

If I were you I'd go looking around and see If there's any development plans on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm with utvipxl
    If you have no choice and get ISDN dont take utvip. Take the esat or eircom options as they ping much better. (much)

ISDN is pants for downloads but the pings aint bad compared to 56k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

if youhave no hope in hell with getting boardband can you get isdn and is it available to everbody "You can get yourself up to 4 months free now I believe" got any links thanx :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Sigh, i used to play TFC with a 300 ping. I stopped after about a year. No BB for me, unless i move i'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    If you have no choice and get ISDN dont take utvip. Take the esat or eircom options as they ping much better. (much)

ISDN is pants for downloads but the pings aint bad compared to 56k

Well, in regards pings, I think you are underselling ISDN. Connecting via Oceanfree I can get ingame and DOS pings under 30ms in BF:V

56k is around 200
    DSL from 40 to 90 (though more consistant than ISDN).

Matt

Ok maybe i am :p

Back in the 56k day i got about 250 (ingame UT) to english servers.
    ISDN was about 100-120 in game and Esat Business DSl is about 60-70.

I have no idea what that relates to in dos pings as i never did a dos ping on 56k :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

isdn is **** no point trying to make it sound good, any games i have played on it run laggy as hell wolf, q3, ut2k4 etc the only games i have found to be good are halo sof2 and cs but even then u still get bs, so if u are getting isdn be prepared to shout bs a lot at ure monitor cause for me isdn really aint much use for online fps games, but on the other had mmoprg run fine with 64k so it just depends what u want to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by j0e9o
    isdn is **** no point trying to make it sound good, any games i have played on it run laggy as hell wolf, q3, ut2k4 etc the only games i have found to be good are halo sof2 and cs but even then u still get bs, so if u are getting isdn be prepared to shout bs a lot at ure monitor cause for me isdn really aint much use for online fps games, but on the other had mmoprg run fine with 64k so it just depends what u want to play

If anyone has a choice, get BB for sure over ISDN.

Remember, with dual channel ISDN you get the same upstream bandwidth as 512kb DSL and enough downstream for virtually all games (16KB/s). Most games use around 5KB consistantly with spikes to 10KB/s every so often. Most games should play pretty good on single channel ISDN however.

ISDN may not be good compared to DSL, but its vastly better than 56k, so if you are coming from that, its a godsend.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by B-K-DzR

ISDN was about 100-120 in game

then you had a crap isdn ta and/or isp
    i used to get sub 100 in every game iv ever tried with 64k isdn

btw keep in mind when answering the original poster lives in/near a small village
    so no chance of dsl for years

then you had a crap isdn ta and/or isp
    i used to get sub 100 in every game iv ever tried with 64k isdn

Ok maybe i should elaborate, I played( play) UT which has a very weird netcode (orignal). On DSL the best you can get is 60 with average at about 80 f6. 100-120 for ISDN wasnt bad at all considerning 56k was 250 (thats why i threw in all the ping times so u could see the difference).

I doubt you tried UT to the UK on a weekend/weeknight. If you can get sub 100 every time ill be impressed. I used the Eicon DIva which was one of the better ones around and used the buy and sell/ clubi (sold to netsource later).

My ping was same/better than all the other irish isdn users playing UT.
    isdn is **** no point trying to make it sound good
    As has been said ISDN isnt bad. Its got **** download true but all games are very playable to most western/central european countries if you set up the connection in game properly. Dont make it sound worse than it is. Dont get me wrong i was thankful to get off it but its miles better than 56k. Miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

For those of us without the option of BB then ISDN is the only way to do. If you research your servers properly you will be able to get good games.

I went to ISDN to shed 56k (often running at 28), and even though its pricey, its worth the peace of mind and you dont get disconnected half as much as you would on 56k dialup.

I play XIII online, and it's pretty laggy at times (I play on a 64k line). Iv'e played call of duty two times online, first was laggy as feck, other was ok. UT2004 seems ok, only voice communication is laggy, but that was expected.

It is a rip off though, so unless you're in the middle of nowhere I suggest you wait a bit, and see what's in development in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I moved from 28k to 64k isdn about 4 years ago and the difference was unbelievable at the time, pings went from 250 down to 40 in quake2 and halflife/counterstrike but this is only possible using a good isdn modem such as the eircon diva and any isp other than utv. Oceanfree wud be the best with esat second. ISDN does spike on more demanding games but it still perfectly playable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

You guys are really slamming ISDN.
    I play in a COD,BFV and red Orchestra clan,i race with an online racing team and have absolutely zero lag .
    Yeah sure if BB was in my area id get it .
    I had BB when i l,ived in Finland and a few friends here in Ireland have BB and for gaming the difference in pings is marginal.
    Obviously for downloading theres a massive difference.
    My isp is no-limits and i kid you not i play almost nightly online and never have lag same scenario for two of my neighbours.
    Yeah it can be laggy with non Euro servers but once in Europe i ping between 30-90 constant .
    Im more than happy with ISDN and i would not compete in racing leagues or clan leagues if i was lagging tbh.

im just ondering what the best isp the thing is once i have the line upgraded then i would go to esat then get a cheap modem like

http://www.marx-computers.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi

the one which is isdn and cost 25 euro any good ?

For some reason you can't link to that page.

just click and go to

where it says

isdn

I know what one your talking about anyway. I heard it's important to get a good modem, since a poor quality one can affect the speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

isdn is pure crap

sure its a hell of a lot better than 56k, but when u get it ull be crying at the extortionate prices ur paying for its priviledge...

ur better off getting it if u can put up with its costs, but iol anytime is pure crap too, anyone i know that has it suffers from random ping spikes every 30 seconds due to bad routing and too many ppl on the service, makes counter strike absolute ****e

isps like oceanfree and such are great.. but ur paying per minute with them.

i play counter strike seriously, but have given up on 64k for it, because its just too **** frankly, i only play on 128k, i use a second eircom dial up package that allows u to use 2 lines, but of course u tie up both fone lines, which is a bit of hassle.

cs on public servers with more than 12 ppl, its just lag city, very tedious

enjoy ur 7kb/s !!!! dood

listen i will never be able to get broadband in my area ok

and wats 128k isdn connection like can you only do that with eircom or does any other isp do it
    i would not pay 37.00 euro for isdn with eircom

• Advertisement

Originally posted by snoopdog
    listen i will never be able to get broadband in my area ok

and wats 128k isdn connection like can you only do that with eircom or does any other isp do it
    i would not pay 37.00 euro for isdn with eircom
    37 euros is what you have to pay. You can only get ISDN rental off eircon. 128k ISDN is using your two 64k lines together (charged at two calls) You can't use two lines with utvipxl (net call package deal). Don't know about the others.

Advertisement