Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

isdn

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

counterstrike is perfectly playable with 64k unless you are planning on playing on huge servers of 18+ players, stay in servers of 10 to 16 players and you should have a good time, I used ISDN+eircondiva modem+esat up till february and rarely ever got lag in CS. You dont really need to connect to 128bps unless you are really serious like playing a clan match or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

can anyone tell me what isp does isdn 128k [and dont even say eircom]

and when i get isdn what the best isp.I was thinking of esat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unfortunately only a certain company does 128bps snoopdog.
    All the others are 64bps only.

forget about 128k, you dont really need it for gaming, its far too expensive to be paying for 2 calls at once per minute.

Use single channel 64k with a flat rate esat package and you'll be fine. Have an Oceanfree dialer as backup incase you get the odd laggy night on esat.

ya thats a good point gonzo ill stick the 64k cant wait to get it . how do i get a oceanfree dialer [download it] with a 64k how many people could i play with with any lag online in call of duty or cs

you can download their software right now if you like and try it out or keep it for your isdn.

http://www.oceanfree.net/index/help-index/help-dailler-download.htm

The amount of lag you will get will depend on how good the server is, how near to ireland and how many people are playing. Your best bet is to use jolt but there are other clan servers that offer great pings to irish gamers.

Axia Server: 82.136.23.34:27015
    UKFF: 80.253.122.180:27020
    Sensi clan server: 195.20.108.15:27020
    N. Ireland Public: 213.228.215.21:27025

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Been on isdn for years. Had 56k before then but i just could not play games on line due to lag. There are a few ways of getting good pings with isdn and the people with bad pings using isdn either have one of the following problems.

1. There telephone line is not very good in there area.
    2. There isdn modem is not very good "my first modem used a usb connection getting 120 pings no matter what server i played on it, got a new internal modem and my pings can be as low as 20ms have seen it drop to 17ms while playing cs, but my norm ping would be about 60ms.
    3. Where is the server located which you are playing the game on. I use a program called the "all seening eye". I norm play on uk servers i get good pings on them. when i go more eastern my ping starts to rise and i get packetloss and more choke.
    4. What isp you are using. I find that oceanfree were the best isp for ping wise. I am now on the eircom dial up connection for 30euro 150hours and i have had no problems. If anything it has even been better then oceanfree resulting in my ping droping to 20ms sometimes.

When dl stuff i do turn the 2 lines on as its twice as fast. I get 7.5k with one line and 15k using both. But this all depends on the server your dl the information from.

I cant get bb as i live in the country, i think isdn is costly and am thinking of getting it removed.

Games i play or have played on line would be
    * CS * CZ * Day of defeat * Warcraft 3 * Rise Of Nations * Natural Selectoin * And more games just i cant think of them right now. But them games listed above would be what i have pld most online.

your on eircom 30/150 hrs a month right.i taught eircom isdn was 37 euro a month can you explain bad charlie

the €37 a month you pay for ISDN is to eircom for the LIne rental of your isdn, everyone with isdn pays this fee to eircom as they are the only company offering isdn line rentals.... this is not to be confused with the isp service you use to make your isdn calls, that is a seperate fee once again paid per month to whoever e.g. esat, eircom, utv etc.

example per month:
    €37.00 line rental to eircom every month
    €29.99 IOL anytime 180hrs a month service

the above charge of €67 is the minimum you will be paying per month for isdn rental combined with esats flat rate package, if you make any calls/dial up to a seperate isp like oceanfree, the calls per minute will be added ontop of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Im on Anytime it states 30 euros for 150hours. I think there is another company that does 30euro for 180hours. Someone else might be able to fill you in. I dont know if this inculdes vat or not. If it does't then your 37euro would sound about right.

Check out link http://home.eircom.net/products/flatrate/

Doh Gonzo beat me to it

what u have to pay eircom for the line rental even though ill go to anyother isp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by snoopdog
    what u have to pay eircom for the line rental even though ill go to anyother isp

Eircom own the phone line that goes from your house to the exchange.
    The ISP only gives you access to the internet.

Teh 30/180 package is the UTVIP/XP package (which I am on) but people are saying its too laggy for games. I gave up online gaming years ago as my line was too poor.

In fact you have 3 charges

Line Rental
    ISP
    Phone calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

An eircon salesperson was just at my door and she was saying that isps can now suposedly have the chance to sell ISDN line rental. So hopefully we'll see a huge drop!!!;)

what does that mean nexus9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it means that if it's true you can pay your line rental to esat or utv instead of eirgay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

a sales person said it... you might as well of been listening to my dog barking

Originally posted by l3rian

...the dog has a better chance of being right!

when would you thinks you be able to pay isdn rental to the other isp

soon hopefully

when would you thinks you be able to pay isdn rental to the other isp

soon hopefully

I doubt anyone else with bother with it to be honest.

You're more likely to get broadband over the TV cable if NTL gets their finger out.

That said I doubt Eircom will ever let go of the phone lines unless they are forced to. The current govt has shown no eagerness to end Eircoms monopoly.

whats that like broadband over tv and if you cant get broadband in your area could you get that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ok this thread is no longer about Games. Moving to Broadband.

• Advertisement

ya sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Originally posted by l3rian
    Yeah, true. How did they keep the line rental to themselves, though? Isn't that monopoly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

hey i just want to know are the games i play online with a 56k connection now be even better with isdn 64k
    just want to the ping and how much lag
    games i play are

call of duty ,mods included ,revolt

battlefield 1942

unreal tournament 2004

medal of honor allied assult

far cry

halo

can anyone tell me how low would the ping be in these games please:D

ive isdn from eircom and i play loads of online games you may think theres no difference from 56k and 64k but believe me its preety damn good unless you can get bb i highly recommend it i have it untill i am able 2 get bb (if i ever can)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

I thoroughly endorse ISDN apart from the cost but I can live with that.

There are a lot of people in Rural Ireland who will not see BB at any point in the forseeable future and ISDN is the only realistic option for a reliable internet service.

Its all to easy to dispel it once you have experienced BB but a lot of us are not in that position,nor have we cable services etc etc.

I am delighted with 7.5K on downloads or 15K with dual channel,compared to past experiences with dialup.

I have had ISDN for a month now and only experienced one dropped connection,compared to at least 5 a day on 56k,and well less than 4k on downloads,sometimes having to reconnect three or four times to download a small 3 or 4MB file,(could not live without my Fresh Downloader)

Yes its a pity we are tied to Eircoms Anytime package for Dual Channel use.

I wish some of you would just take a step back before dispelling ISDN completely,and realise that the ordinary phone lines in rural areas are in many cases extremely unreliable for normal dialup access and lots do not have the luxury of looking forward to their local exchanges being BB enabled at any time soon.

Yes,by all means make sure and check if there are plans for BB in the future to avoid unnesscary charges for downgrading to an analog line in preperation.

I would love to have BB and would be happy to dump ISDN in the morning in favour of it, but I know its not going to happen. ISDN is a Godsend and has improved my online experience no end.

Sorry for going off the point regarding gaming,but,I cannot believe the amount of negativity on these boards in general on the subject of ISDN.

isdn is great if theres no other option, the only negative reaction here really is just the bloody price of it, the actuall quality of isdn for gaming is very good if you have a good setup and correct configs for your games.

If anyone has it handy, What sort of monthly cost is the Eircoms Anytime package with ISDN? Single or Dual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    If anyone has it handy, What sort of monthly cost is the Eircoms Anytime package with ISDN? Single or Dual?

Its the same as on 56k... €30 per month isnt it? Just on 128k you reach it twice as fast, since 1 hour on dual isdn = 2 hours on single. But eircom anytime on 64k is the same as eircom anytime on 56k afaik.

And you can only use single channel on UTVIP? Thats a pity because you 30 more hours with UTVIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Originally posted by Illkillya
    Its the same as on 56k... €30 per month isnt it? Just on 128k you reach it twice as fast, since 1 hour on dual isdn = 2 hours on single. But eircom anytime on 64k is the same as eircom anytime on 56k afaik.

Yep,spot on Illkillya

You have to ring up and register the second phoneline,and create an ISDN Account with Eircomnet before you can use Anytime once you transfer from Dialup.

In my case it took 5 or 6 days for the accounts departement in Eircom to update my details and transfer them across to Eircomnet, which was a bit of a pain,as I still had to use my old Modem until they sorted it.

Of course you can use the normal dial up ISP's for single or dual access at any time.

• Advertisement

right what isp are the cheapest for isdn and how can i pay 37 for rental and then a flat rate with eircom i dont have that money

can anyone help me

Advertisement