Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'websafe' colours?

Options
  • 08-06-2004 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

just wondering how important 'websafe' colours are these days?

Surly about 90% of browsers will handle whats thrown at them?

Designing a page with photoshop and just realised my background colour (a nice light shade of gray) defaults back to white in websafe :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Goodshape

Surly about 90% of browsers will handle whats thrown at them?

I think it's more about what monitors can handle - very few 256 colour monitors left in use these days. I think it's safe enough to ignore the 216 colour palette nowadays for most purposes.

Having said that though I had an experience a few years ago which converted me to using the websafe palette. I saw a site I had designed using unsafe colours in NN on a Solaris Workstation. Not a pretty site/sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

The websafe colours palette doesnt just apply to HTML and font colours, but images also. The less colours in an image the better it will compress. The better it compresses, the smaller the image, the quicker the download and the faster the client side rendering. This is still important for people on dial-up. I'm not saying all your images should stick to 2xx colours, but always keep in mind that the more you can reduce the number of colours used, the better the site experience will be for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Web safe colours are important for any sites that might be displayed on a PDA.

You could try googling for a websafe palette like Lehn and Stern's ReallySafe Palette.

Advertisement