Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Sligo?

• 08-06-2004 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

I've just completed a line test "online" through EsatBT's site and found that "Broadband is NOT available to me. I then checked through Eircom and the same answer came up.

A mate of mine on the opposite side of the town has got the same answer.

Now "both exchanges" are supposed to be enabled, so has anyone got BB in Sligo?

Also how far from the exchange does one have to be to get BB?

Mick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

i/m out by the showgrounds in the town and ive had b/band for the past two months with esat. no probs. definetily avail in town as i work in town and my office also has b/band. where in town are you located cos you need to be about 3km from the exchange in finisklin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

hi, hjr, just like obewan i have been told my line failed the online test for bb , i live within a stones throw of the finisklin exchange (in maugherboy ) and still no luck, an eircom bb rep told me that because my line was over 10 years old the copper had degraded and thus failed the line test,
    however he also said that if i wanted to part with another payment for a new line there was a 95% chance of success, i feel i should not have to do this as i paid good money already for my existing line. he also said that the exchanges were being upgraded first and then the lines.
    one more thing hjr, as a matter of interest how old is the phone line you use to access bb.

cheers, voyager ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I have it. (Up the road from the race course)

hi cina , thanks for the info, if you don`t mind please tell us with whom you have bb, and how old is your line.

voyager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Sorry for the delay in replying but I had a few PC problems.

I'm living just off Pearse Road beside the Mercy College. I was told by a lady in Eircom that it must be the line and that they (Eircom) were concentrating on upgrading Exchanges; and as my line failed and the Exchange here was enabled, it must be a line fault (reason = age etc), then there was nothing they could do for me.

She also said that there was no point in giving me any other Phone number as they would just repeat what she said.

Any ideas about this folks?

Mick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm up by Crozon and i have it!

I know its def. on the mail coach road so I don't see why you dont get it on Pearse Road. Could be the condition of your telephone line.

hi again all, please post the age of your existing phone line and the name of your bb supplier, the info could prove usefull to me, as i have been told that the age of my line is the reason i failed the bb test, my line is in the house about 12 years (since the estate was built) but is only active the last 4 or 5 years since we got the phone line activated.

voyager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Sligo is probably a good place to start a little wireless network. While I am unsure of the legalities of sharing from the telcos perspective, at least some of them have a clause in their t&c's, if you can find a way around that, legally, get a network set up.
    I'm not sure if this is the current charter of IrishWAN but it would be a good place to start. www.irishwan.org.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Actually, is there any service out by Curry near Charlestown does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

You should check out the details of the soon-to-be built Sligo MAN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Hey gills, don't be giving these guys false hope.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

in town here across road from rathedmond exchange,
    had dsl since feb 2003..

i have setup a few locations in town on dsl,

esat and eircom have 2 exchanges upgraded

rathedmond
    and gpo

maybe more, i havent checked in a few months.

hi guys , i met an old friend of mine today , now working for eircom , i relayed to him all i was told by eircom tech-heads about line erosion, and the new line theory, and basically he nearly collapsed laughing , he said that all i was told from eircom was bull...t, his words not mine,
    he also said that he would personally check my line and get back to me.

And so the saga continues .

will keep u informed.

voyager :confused:

Does anybody in sligo know if Caltragh Heights has been enabled for Broadband? I currently have broadband but am moving to Caltragh and was wondering if it was possible to get broadband there. I am getting a phoneline installed so wont be able to check for sure just yet.

Advertisement