Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bets for Euro 2004

• 09-06-2004 1:29am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have 10 EuroBucks on Portugal @ 7/1,I am looking for a few more.What have any of you lot got...?I mite go for Owen to be top Goal scorer.I also Like the look of 33/1 England to be kicked out for there fans going mad...it could be worth a euro or two.

I also seen a Becks to be sent off,cant remember were or what price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I have:

€5 France and Henry Top Scorer 11/1
    €5 Italy and Vieri Top Scorer 20/1
    €10 Italy Outright 5/1
    €5 Czech Rep Outright 14/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Edited because I decided not to be lazy .

Euro 2004
    Selection
    France 3 - 1
    Italy 4 - 1
    Portugal 7 - 1
    Spain 8 - 1
    England 8 - 1
    Holland 8 - 1
    Czech Rep 14 - 1
    Germany 18 - 1
    Sweden 25-1
    Denmark 40-1
    Russia 66-1
    Bulgaria 80-1
    Greece 80-1
    Croatia 80-1
    Switzerland 100-1
    Latvia 500 - 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've got a tenner on the following;
    Czech Republin to win – 18/1
    Germay to win – 20/1
    Milan Baros top scorer – 40/1
    Wayne Rooney top scorer – 28/1
    Steven Gerarrd player of the tournament – 25/1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I like the look of Germany @ 18/1...I no they are playing crap they they could come good as they have done in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I,m going to put my few quid on englan to win just and if i f was to bet on an outsider it would be the czech republic.

• Advertisement

Whats the story with the czech republic...why do a lot of people rate them....I dont ok they went on a good run but they are nothing special.They are not going to win it,they are even @ around 14/1...come on they have no chance.

Some Paddy Power Specials

Becks to be red-carded during the tournament 7/1

Becks To be named Player of the Tournament 20/1

Becks To be tournament top scorer 50/1

Becks to break a metatarsal during the tournament 20/1

Becks to be seen texting from the England bench during any England
    match 100/1

Owen to score a penalty (excluding penalty shoot outs) 4/1

Owen to miss a penalty (excluding penalty shoot outs) 10/1

Owen to score in a penalty shoot out 11/2

Owen to miss in a penalty shoot out 14/1

Owen to not take a penalty if England play in a penalty shoot out
    (must be eligible to take penalty) 14/1

Phil Neville to give away a penalty 20/1

Wayne Rooney to miss any game due to sunburn 66/1

France to not score in the tournament 40/1

England to not score during the tournament 16/1

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Portugal is a very good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Dub13
    Whats the story with the czech republic...why do a lot of people rate them....I dont ok they went on a good run but they are nothing special.They are not going to win it,they are even @ around 14/1...come on they have no chance.
    The Czech Republic have a quality team.

Cech in goal.
    I only know Bolf in defence but ask a Czech person to name an Irish defender and you'd be waiting a long time for an answer.
    The midfield is world class: Nedved-Galasek-Rosicky-Poborskey
    And up front Koller and Baros is a lethal combination.
    That is a super team.

Portugal would be my bet though.

I like the look of Germany @ 18/1...I no they are playing crap they they could come good as they have done in the past.

they did lose 2-0 to Hungary a couple of days ago , but if I have ever learned anything about internationel football , its never write off the Germans .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I agree, the Czech's are an excellent team, they work so well as a unit. They have every chance of winning it this year especially with so many of the big teams under performing. Remember Denmark?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    The Czech Republic have a quality team.

Cech in goal.
    I only know Bolf in defence but ask a Czech person to name an Irish defender and you'd be waiting a long time for an answer.
    The midfield is world class: Nedved-Galasek-Rosicky-Poborskey
    And up front Koller and Baros is a lethal combination.
    That is a super team.
    In defence for the Czech's : right back : Grygera (Ajax) centre backs : Bolf (banik ostrava, this years Czech champions ) and Ujfalusi(Hamburg) left back : Jankulovski ( Udinese ) . The rest of the team will be as Eirebhoy said with Galasek in a holding role .

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Paddy Power have some great bets if you double-up on the winning team AND top scorer......

France to win & Henry to finish top scorer 11/1
    Italy & Vieri 16/1 *
    France & Trezeguet 20/1 *
    Holland & RVN 20/1
    Spain & Raul 25/1
    Spain & Morientes 33/1
    England & Owen 33/1
    Portugal & Pauletta 33/1 ***
    Holland & Kluivert 40/1
    Germany & Kuranyi 66/1
    Czechs & Koller 100/1

The Trezeguet, Vieri & Pauletta (-especially!) bets are savage altogether!

Each player is their countrys' out & out striker. Trezeguet has Henry, Zidane & Pires supplying the ammo, Pauletta has Figo, Rui Costa, Deco & Simao and Vieri has Totti & Del Piero behind him in a 4-3-2-1 formation.

I can't really see anyone other than Italy, France or Portugal winning it, just back those 3 in a double with their respective striker and you're laughin'!

I agree that the Czech Republic have a very good side but I would not say they are going to win it,I would say we are better than them and if we were there we would be about 20/1 or even 30/1.They have NO CHANCE of winning it,two many real good teams will be there.

I agree that the Czech Republic have a very good side but I would not say they are going to win it,I would say we are better than them and if we were there we would be about 20/1 or even 30/1.They have NO CHANCE of winning it,two many real good teams will be there.

in ur opinion what are those real good teams ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Here are my tips:

Wayne Ronney to be sent off in any Euro 2004 match. Now i dont no what the bookies are giving out on this but its worth a euro or two. If England are losing i could see Ronney losing it and getting sent off.

Portugal to win at 7/1 is well worth a few bob. Or Czech Republic at 14/1 and Germany at 18/1.

Outsider: Sweden at 25/1, they always under-achive and with Larrson back eachway wouldnt be a bad bet.

For top goal scorer i have gone with T.Henry at 6/1 outright. Morientes of Spain at 18/1 eachway, F.Totti of Italy at 20/1 eachway and H.Larrson of Sweden at 28/1 eachway.

Plus dont be surprised if Croatia come second in the group to France.

Originally posted by Big Ears
    in ur opinion what are those real good teams ?

Italy,France,Spain,Holland,Portugal are the top teams.

Even England,Germany and Sweden would bet them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

If the Czechs top their group which is hardly unlikely given that they topped their group in the qualifiers that included Holland, and neither Holland or Germany are performing too well that should set up a quarter final meeting with Sweden, a game they are more than capable of winning, that puts them in the semis. An each way bet at 14/1 is well worth it seeing as you collect 7/1 if they just get to the final (the same odds Portugal and Spain have to win it outright). They are a team with real quality (notably Rosicky and Nedved) but yet still work together as a team. No one is looking at them as possibles another bonus.

Another good bet I saw is an each way on top goal scorer, it pays 1/4 odds for top 4 places and there are plenty round the 50/1 mark capable of bagging 3 goals which should see them 4th in the list.

Baros
    Koller
    Ibrahimovic
    Nuno Gomes
    Albert Luque

Even Zidane or Ballack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

pick the finalists.
    €20 on each of these:

France & Italy @ 10 - 1
    France & Spain 16 - 1
    Italy & Spain 22 - 1

mind you, i did a similar job in the world cup with italy against brazil,france or argentina but south korea fukt that one up for me!

France win & T Henry top socrer: 11 - 1
    ...worth a few bob

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    If the Czechs top their group which is hardly unlikely given that they topped their group in the qualifiers that included Holland, and neither Holland or Germany are performing too well that should set up a quarter final meeting with Sweden, a game they are more than capable of winning, that puts them in the semis. An each way bet at 14/1 is well worth it seeing as you collect 7/1 if they just get to the final (the same odds Portugal and Spain have to win it outright). They are a team with real quality (notably Rosicky and Nedved) but yet still work together as a team. No one is looking at them as possibles another bonus.

Another good bet I saw is an each way on top goal scorer, it pays 1/4 odds for top 4 places and there are plenty round the 50/1 mark capable of bagging 3 goals which should see them 4th in the list.

Baros
    Koller
    Ibrahimovic
    Nuno Gomes
    Albert Luque

Even Zidane or Ballack
    I definitely agree with your points about the Czech Republic.

Just wondering about the e/w for top scorer. Lets say one player gets 6 goals, two get 5 and about six players get 4. Do they have to pay out on all 9 players?

Italy,France,Spain,Holland,Portugal are the top teams.

Even England,Germany and Sweden would bet on them

have a look at the Czech Republic qualifying group ,...............and who do u find second have drawn and lost ( I think ) to the Czechs.......Holland ,who also have know lost 2 in a row . Germany have been poor of late , but its plain stupid to think that they're gonna that bad in the tournament. Spain second in a they're group , which Greece won , but thats ok at least we know they always ooze consistoncy in big tournaments :rolleyes: .
    Portugal, are a very good team but I disagree , Italy and France your right about .England I disagree .
    Sweden Im not sure about , because they're my tip for the tournament ;) .

your right about England Germany and Sweden betting on them though .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

€10 on France win/Henry top-scorer 11-1
    €10 on France to win 3-1
    €10 on Italy to win 4-1
    €10 on Italy win/Vieri top scorer 20-1
    €10 on Portugal to go out in SF 3-1
    €10 on England to go out in QF 2-1
    €3 on Pires to finish player of the tournament 33-1

Originally posted by therecklessone
    €10 on France win/Henry top-scorer 11-1
    €10 on Italy win/Vieri top scorer 20-1
    You should put these to bets on also: France to win and Vieri to get top scorer as you'll get odds of 35/1. Italy to win and Henry to get top scorer gives odds of 34/1.

The reason they give shorter odds for Henry/France rather than Henry/Italy is as follows. If a player gets top scorer it obviously means his country are getting more goals so have a better chance of winning, therefore the bookies give shorter odds for the double. If you put a bet on a team to win the championship and a player off another team to get top scorer it's just calculated as a normal double. (If Henry didn't play for France you would get odds of 27/1 for the France/Henry double).

France and Italy are favourites to meet each other in the final, therefore, it is possible for both Vieri and Henry to play in the final so there's no advantage for either player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Will revisit Paddy Power and Victor Chandler tongiht. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

25/1 Sweden to win, and another very good deal is...

125/1 Sweden to win & Henrik Larsson as top scorer of tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

7-1 on Spain winning and 33-1 on Rooney being top goal scorer.

So far Spain are off to a good start :)

http://www.oddschecker.com/ is a good site to find the online bookies with the best odds.

also, if you are registered with Pigsback, Victor Chandler have a savage deal for new registrations from Pigsback users, not only do you get a free 10 Euro bet if you place a 10 Euro bet to start with, but you also get 50% back on your first bet whether you win or lose. so it's a 5 Euro stake (when you get your 5 Euro back) = 20 Euro bet it seems.... sounds good anyway, i am sure there's lots of fine print i didn't read properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Down 50euro on Portugal yesterday, won a tenner on Spain

i was so going to put a bet on Greece yesterday (who i was backing in everything but real betting) but forgot about it and then the match started... missed out on a 400% or more return there :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Reckon Swiss could do the business on Croatia as well, combo'd with France winning or drawing v Britland

• Advertisement

Originally posted by naitkris
    25/1 Sweden to win, and another very good deal is...

125/1 Sweden to win & Henrik Larsson as top scorer of tournament

these are now 14/1 and 18/1 respectively, while...

Larsson to just be top goalscorer used to be 40/1, it is now 5/1, making him favourite to score the most in Euro 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Holland to win 2-0 8-1
    Latvia to win 1-0 11-1

A double is minty rewards, not my bet but be cool if she won.

kdjac

Originally posted by naitkris
    Larsson to just be top goalscorer used to be 40/1
    Soe bookie's were actually offering 60/1 last month.

How are you all getting on now that it is close to the final....?I am down about 100 EuroBucks but I have Portugal to win so thats 80 back and I have Baros as top scorer around 40 back so I ould end up ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

italy, france , spain all gone with my money, €60.

lookin good for some winnings in work pools and dream team so i should at least break even.

that's 3 tournaments in a row i've got it wrong
    :rolleyes:

feck it, i'll try again in two years.

Originally posted by super_furry
    I've got a tenner on the following;
    Czech Republin to win – 18/1
    Germay to win – 20/1
    Milan Baros top scorer – 40/1
    Wayne Rooney top scorer – 28/1
    Steven Gerarrd player of the tournament – 25/1

I'm up about €500 - Greece beating France got me quids in, and I still have the above from the start. Really hoping Holland go out tonight with no van Nistelrooy goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I've got 5€ on Portugal @ 7-1, Czech @ 14-1 and Holland in a pool where the split is 50-20-10 (Is there a 3rd place match? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.)

I also had money on Swiss not to score but they had to just go and get a goal in the last game. In other bets i'm probably about even.

So barring a Greece-Portugal final with Greece winning I will see some return on my investments.

I have Portugal to win it outright aswell. And i have the Czechs.

I had Ruudy as top scorer but thats the toliet. but i had it each way.
    Would i get paid for Larrson eachway??? he is is 7th on the chart but he has 3 goals which is joined 4th so will i get paid on that??

Also i was reading in the paper a guy was watch England v. Swiss and at half time(while england were winning 1-0) he put €10 on the next goal to be an own goal at.....wait for it.....at 40/1. But UFEA ruled it was Rooneys goal when it was an O.G.
    I feel sorry for him.

Originally posted by Dewey

I had Ruudy as top scorer but thats the toliet. but i had it each way.
    Would i get paid for Larrson eachway???
    e/w pays the top 3 scorers. There are 3 players ahead of Larsson (Rooney, RVN, Baros) so no, you won't get anything from that bet.:)

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    e/w pays the top 3 scorers. There are 3 players ahead of Larsson (Rooney, RVN, Baros) so no, you won't get anything from that bet.:)

Paddy Powers are paying out on top 4, which is why i'm asking. Because he is joined 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I had Portugal-Czech final at 25-1 and Czechs at 14-1

10 on each :) at paddy powers on 7.6.04

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dewey
    Paddy Powers are paying out on top 4, which is why i'm asking. Because he is joined 4th.
    Are you serious? unless anyone else gets 4 goals you will get paid for that bet. PP will have a lot of paying out to do. :)

The bookies must be takin a big hit....most of my mates had Baros some got him at 50/1,also alot of people have the Czechs at a good price.

yap, 100% sure. Looking at the pool sheet here.

Each Way 1/4 odds 1, 2, 3, 4. Is what it saids.

So I have Larrson 4th joined scorer at 28/1. But i'm not sure if they will pay out on that. thats why i was asking if any knows??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

If the 4th place is tied by x players, each player pays out 1/x of what they would normally pay if they had won it outright as for as I know.

I backed the Czechs each way, €€€€€€, I have Baros and the Czechs at 125/1, but I only put a euro on in :( and I also took Koller for top scorer over Baros at the last minute, and put a tenner on it :( Could have been €500 in the bag (might still be if Jan runs riot in the last 2 games!).

The bookies must be takin a big hit....most of my mates had Baros some got him at 50/1,also alot of people have the Czechs at a good price.

Nearly every Liverpool supporter I know (including myself) had Baros to be top scorer. Makes you wonder why his odds were so long, especially given his international scoring record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

ohh im mighty pissed at all this betting crap,
    the day of the first match, portgual v greece i was gonna put 80eur on portgual to win the tournament, they were something like 22-1 cant rem now , was in 20;s anyways, had the money on me and all but alot of people talked me out of it, saying no way france are going to win dont be stupid, so i decided not to, when they lost to greece i was happy, now im afraid iv lost out on the bones of 1600eur aaaahhhh,
    anyways any1 know the odds for portugal to win it at this stage???

Krispie,
    I think they were about 7/1 at the start....they were in the 20s around xmass

Originally posted by Krispie
    ohh im mighty pissed at all this betting crap,
    the day of the first match, portgual v greece i was gonna put 80eur on portgual to win the tournament, they were something like 22-1 cant rem now , was in 20;s anyways, had the money on me and all but alot of people talked me out of it, saying no way france are going to win dont be stupid, so i decided not to, when they lost to greece i was happy, now im afraid iv lost out on the bones of 1600eur aaaahhhh,
    anyways any1 know the odds for portugal to win it at this stage???
    As Dub13 said, Portugal were 7/1 at the start of the tournament. ATM they are 4/6 (That will raise if the Czech's win tonight).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im sticking money on Greece to beat the Czechs tonight :)

Ronan|Raven,
    Very Very good call...I did not see that one coming...please tell me you got a chance to put the money on the line....?good odds I hope....?

• Advertisement
Advertisement