Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Money off my insurance

Options
  • 09-06-2004 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

My insurance is up for renewal next week - 50% NCB and got a quote of €700 on my 1.6 car. At last some reward for being a female!

Then surprisingly I got a call from my insurance company to say that I could get a quote of €200 less if I had a male named driver. I always excluded named drivers as I thought this would increase my premium!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That makes no sense, especially with a male named driver - but hey, cheap-ass insurance for someone you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I've heard this one before - apparently a named driver of the opposite sex implies that you're in a relationship which apparently indicates a lower risk. I didn't realise that it worked for female drivers adding males too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

aye - I found that if I put my gf on my policy it reduced my premium
    this is with Axa's "insured and spouse" policy but they don't seem too bothered if you're not actually married (i checked this with them)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by query
    Then surprisingly I got a call from my insurance company to say that I could get a quote of €200 less if I had a male named driver.
    Hmmm, I wonder what the catch is - like the way you are effectively tied to a company if you claim on your NCB protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I am married for the past two years and engaged for more, but we always found on our two cars that by naming each other as named drivers that most times it reduced the premiums on both policy's, strange but true.

However at the moment on my current policy it makes no difference whether my wife is on it or not! maybe because I'm over 27 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭steamboat

My girlfriend just got cover with AXA - she's 26, a 1st time driver with a provisional. When I was added as a named driver her premium dropped from €1700 to €1500 Fully Comp. I think this discount only applies if the named driver owns a car of his/her own. Also, with AXA anyway, its always worthwhile asking 'is that the best you can do?' - quotes seem to be negotiable!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

well quinn driewct just put my gf as a named driver havin just got her provisional for no extra charge.

wish i knew that last yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Yep this is the case and it works both ways. Male with female named driver & female with male named driver.

My Girlfriend has 2 points and putting her on my policy still reduced the quote.

well that might have me sorted for next year then.

just got 2 points :( been told i can appeal it with this thing about not getting a receipt from the gun, but w8ing to see what happens, dont want to risk getting 4 points.

so if i get stuck with the 2 will probably get the insurance throught her next year :->

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Hmm Wanton,

I’m not sure that you are on the right track here.

If you have points it will have an impact on your insurance, if your named driver has it “may” not.

The only thing is that if you add a named driver next year it “might” offset the increase for the 2 points (knowing insurance companies I would have my doubts).

With a bit of luck it might work out:D

• Advertisement

soz, what i ment was get her to get the insurance and go as named under her till the points expire, will still have my 2y ncb at the end of it.

Advertisement