Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Connell to contest GAC's 12-week ban

• 09-06-2004 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

from the Indo

Colm Keys: O'Connell to contest GAC's 12-week ban
    Wednesday June 9th 2004

Westmeath midfielder Rory O'Connell has been suspended until August 15

A DEVASTATED Rory O'Connell has vowed to vigorously fight the 12-week ban handed down to him by the GAC yesterday.

O'Connell, red-carded in the second half of Westmeath's Leinster first round win over Offaly in Croke Park three weeks ago for an alleged stamping offence, got the worst possible news at lunchtime yesterday.

Just less than 48 hours after one of Westmeath's most significant championship days ever, the euphoria of the result over Dublin has been deflated slightly with confirmation that the imposing midfielder will have to sit out all further championship action until Sunday August 15.

By then Westmeath could be out of the championship unless of course they progress to the All-Ireland semi-finals.

O'Connell was guarded in his reaction to the suspension, stating that he was "devastated" and adding that he would be keeping all his options open.

He was expected to meet with Westmeath secretary Paddy Collins and team manager Páidí Ó Sé last night to discuss a possible appeal.

The most likely outlet for the Athlone man is an appeal to Central Council when they meet next but O'Connell has intimated that he will go even further if he has to in a bid for the justice he feels he hasn't received.

A possible court action has been mooted but Westmeath officials have privately warned against that route.

However, O'Connell is determined to play some role in Westmeath's championship odyssey which has soared into orbit on the back of Sunday's two-point win.

"I'm ten years playing for Westmeath and this may be the best chance I may ever have to win something. I just don't feel it's fair," said O'Connell.

O'Connell's case appeared to have strengthened over the weekend with the submission of a letter from Offaly player Pascal Kellaghan who O'Connell is alleged to have stamped on.

The content of the letter was not made known to Westmeath officials who travelled to Croke Park with O'Connell for his hearing on Monday.

But they understand that Kellaghan, in his submission, acquitted O'Connell of any intent.

O'Connell was quick to protest his innocence after the incident on May 23, claiming his only intention was to free himself after his foot was restrained.

O'Connell, Kellaghan and Westmeath's Gary Dolan collided in a scramble for possession and as he was getting up to move away it is alleged by one of the linesmen on duty that O'Connell manoeuvred his foot back and made contact with Kellaghan.

As it stands, O'Connell will definitely miss the remainder of the Leinster championship and all games up to and including an All-Ireland quarter-final if Westmeath make it that far.

A 12-week ban at this time of year is more severe than at any other time and with the rigidity of the rulebook once O'Connell was reported for stamping a 12-week ban was almost unavoidable.

His punishment once again brings into question the imbalances of the GAA rulebook and in Westmeath yesterday the obvious parallels were being drawn between O'Connell's punishment and the four-week ban handed down to the Cavan player whose punch is alleged to have broken Finian Newman's jaw in two places during a challenge match last March.

Westmeath secretary Collins admitted that "would take a bit of explaining to people around here".

Collins added that it was his understanding that Kellaghan's letter, which wasn't read out in the company of any of the Westmeath officials present, acquitted O'Connell of any intent.

"A letter with that content would stand up in most hearings outside the GAA but within the GAA there is guilt until innocence is proven in a lot of cases," he said.

Without sufficient video evidence however success in any appeal within the framework of the GAA would be extremely difficult for O'Connell.

Meanwhile, John Keane is expected to be back training for Westmeath next week after getting news that he has not broken any bone in his foot or ankle during Sunday's famous win over Dublin.

Keane was limping badly after the match but X-rays in the Mater Hospital confirmed that there was no break.

Martin Flanagan has had the cast removed from his ankle after recent surgery but any hopes that he can make it back quicker than anticipated appear far removed.
    I think the comparison with the Cavan player is interesting, a 4 week ban in March for breaking someones jaw compared to a 12-week ban in championship high-season where the 'victim' has said there was no intent.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I wonder if Westmeath are better off without him Imposter?

I know he is a fine footballer when at his best, but it seems there are a lot of people out there who think he is nothing short of a scumbag, always the first man in with the sly dig or sly kick, and that he'll never learn his lesson. And that he's cost Westmeath games more than once due to his lack of discipline. I dont know Westmeath football well enough to decide if all that is true, but he certainly wasnt missed for the end of the Offaly game or for the Dublin game.

The fact that a disgraceful decision was made with the Cavan player should not lead to other similar decisions being made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I don't know if their better off without him or not. I've been away for 2 years now but for the years before and all through underage you could see what a great footballer he was going to be. Whether he's developed into a scumbag or not I don't know.

I agree that a bad decision shouldn't affect other decisions but if the 'victim' said there was nothing in the incident then I don't understand why the GAA have to take the referees report as gospel, above that of opposition players. The only thing that seems to be able to overturn something a referee has written is video evidence.

From being on the receiving end of a disgraceful decision based on a referee's report a number of years ago i'm firmly in O'Connells camp on this as referee's shouldn't be allowed to wield the power they do when both teams involved seem to dissagree with the ref on this matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I think its a terrible decision. The most he should of gotten was 3 weeks. Again its a sign of the GAA refusing to use a little common-sense in its decision making process. Whats all this lark of been banned for months anyways. Surely games would be a better approach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Rory has had discipline problems in the past but i would not class him as a scumbag.
    Some of the incidents rory has been blamed for he has been totally innocent and bad refereeing was more a fault than Rory was.
    Since the game wasnt televised there wasnt as many cameras there as normal so maybe there wasnt conclusive video evidence. I thought when i heard Pascal (good honest guy , i went to school with him) had written a letter to say he didnt feel the incident was intentional, that this would be the end of it..
    I was delighted to hear Rory was training away with the team on tuesday night and hopefully westmeath can get this overturned and get him back to help out O'Shaughnessy in the middle of the park.

Advertisement