Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware problems should be over for now

Options
  • 09-06-2004 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭

And once again, the freezer wins 'Most Valuable Piece of IT Equipment 2004'.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Well Done Regi. icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Cheers Regi! icon14.gificon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Good stuff Regi. Surprised you haven't just kicked the box by now.

Possibility of contract renewal in this highly paid boards.ie job draws ever closer.

Kudos and thanks to all involved in the surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I hope someone has brought it some Lucozade and grapes to speed it's recovery after the major surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Originally posted by Regi
    And once again, the freezer wins 'Most Valuable Piece of IT Equipment 2004'.

The old throw the hdd in an anti static bag and bang it in the freezer trick ?! :)

Good work onm getting her back running was getting bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Thought that was only a temporary solution?

I just assumed he made some kind of snazzy hard drive out of a fridge. Thats what I'd do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Thanks for all your hard work.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    The old throw the hdd in an anti static bag and bang it in the freezer trick ?! :)

The what?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by halenger
    The what?!
    He means ziplock bag of course.

Yes it's a temporary solution, but the objective was to recover data from the failing disk to populate its replacement (muppet doesn't do RAID).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Ivan

I just assumed he made some kind of snazzy hard drive out of a fridge. Thats what I'd do anyway.

Don't be ridiculous!

We all know that the best hard drives are made out of papier mache and twigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven

Good work onm getting her back running was getting bored.

if your hdd dies and you want to get data off it, can you bung it in a freezer to make it work again temporarily?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by DRakE
    if your hdd dies and you want to get data off it, can you bung it in a freezer to make it work again temporarily?

sometimes it works yes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

But other time you just end up bunking your HDD onto a pan and having it with some chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Ever consider a fundraiser for new hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

great stuff guys.
    now, can we have a forum to put all the "boards is down" posts in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I was a little surprised that boards wasn't running on a Raid 5 array (or even 51 mmmm). But then, boards has grown from humble beginings.

Hats off to Regi and Ecksor for getting it back. Of course the real hero here is the fridge who's kind cannot only cool beer, chocolate and pepsi max but can actually fix harddrives.

fridge.jpg

/me swoons

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Of course you realise this means a pissup.

scsi disks don't come cheap, especially for the 15Krpm high capacity drives.

But I reckon enough could be raised to pay for it.

Also, is a record kept of when subscribers need to pay money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Muppet is missing the Dell RAID key unfortunately. All the hardware to do RAID is there, but we can't use it :)

Also, boards would definately not have come back this quickly without the assistance of Longword, who provided wizardry when it was needed. Feel free to say thanks to him :)

We're definately going to move the webserving part of boards back to troll.boards.ie, since it should be able to do RAID-5.

Dan

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We shouldnt need to do the same kind of fund raising as before as the money trickling in from the ads should cover the cost of a decent HD.
    Thanks Longword (and Regi and Ecksor of course)...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

As I have sort of said to Regi in a pm, I may be able to arrange a reconditioned raid key for muppet. I just need it's service tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ampersand test.

Advertisement