Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stolen phone

• 09-06-2004 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭

lo lads, was in school today for an exam and while i was in sitting the test my mobile was stolen from my schoolbag. I had it in my schoolbag because we were told if a mobile phone, switched on or off was found in the examination hall, you would be kicked out and imeadiatley fail that exam.

anyway i was wondering what the procedure was after a phone theft. I went to o2.co.uk (im in the north) and it asked me to type in my number on a theft page thingy. But is the sim card blocked or the phone itself? the sim has a pin number on it so some info about me is hidden, but i dont want the little bastard to be able to read my messages or look at my pictures. I think the insurance may cover theft of the phone, but should i report the phone stolen to the police, the school, o2 or the insurance company?

Obviously im very pissed off atm and any advice is apreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, sorry to hear that, yes you should definitely report it, there is a UK website that outlines what to do if your (UK based) handset is stolen:
    http://www.immobilise.com/what_should_you_do.html

if your SIM card was protected by a PIN number then once an incorrect PIN is entered three times it locks and requires a longer code (PUK code) to unlock it

as for stored messages, it depends on the type of handset, some will store the messages on the SIM others will use the memory in the phone, some will clear the messages if the SIM is swapped for another, some won't...

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

You should get onto O2 they have a system where if you ask them to block the IMEI number it will prevent the phone from being used on any other UK network.

You should also pursue the possibility of getting the school to pay for it. They made the decision to exclude phones from the exam hall they should have had someone watching the schoolbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You can't blame the school! It's pretty obvious that phones aren't allowed in exam halls so you should leave them at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

leaving the phone at home wasnt a viable option as i had to organise a way home after the tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Payphone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by weemcd
    I think the insurance may cover theft of the phone, but should i report the phone stolen to the police, the school, o2 or the insurance company?

You have to report the phone stolen to the police and they'll give you a kind of certificate to prove you reported the theft, without this you can't claim on the insurance.

If you got the sim card new with the phone, o2 will know the IMEI and be able to block it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Possibly steering this thread a touch off topic, but..

I got a sim free mobile last christmas. Can I buy insurance off vodafone (rtg customer) or anyone else in case my phone is lost/stolen/broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

^ hup.

</hijack>

Advertisement