Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have your say on Friday!!

Options
  • 09-06-2004 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Friday is our chance to have a say in the democracy of our nation.

First thing I would like to say is:

Make sure you use your vote

Polling stations are open from 7am to 9pm so theres no excuse for not voting.

You will receive 3 voting cards:

1: Referendum on Irish Citizenship

Referendum information

2: European Elections:

We have 4 Euro constituencies and a total of just 13 seats in the Europarl.

Dublin (Dublin city and county) is the largest constituency and it has 4 seats.
    The others all have three seats each:

East (which is all the other counties in Leinster except Dublin)
    North West (that's all the counties in Connaught plus County Clare plus the three Ulster Counties in theRepublic of Ireland)
    and South (all the Munster counties except County Clare)

3: Local Elections

Local elections are held in Ireland every 5 years in the month of May or June. At these elections, members of the local community elect Councillors to represent the community in local authorities. At present, there are over 3 million local government electors in Ireland.

The number of Councillors that may be elected to each local authority changes from area to area. For example, 48 members may be elected to Cork County Council and 21 members may be elected to Carlow County Council.

Before you vote make sure you enform yourself, you will no doubt have received information through your letterbox from those seeking your votes.

This is your chance to let the Government of Ireland know that they have lied and broken promises, Finna Fail promised a lot before the last general election but they have failed to deliver on many of these important promises.

2000 extra Gardai were promised- Not Delivered

Hospital waiting lists were to be abolished-Not Delivered

Promised investment in school buildings - Not Delivered

First Time Buyers Housing Grant was Scrapped

No radiotheraphy unit excists in the South East forcing Cancer sufferers to drive long distances for treatment

€52 million was spend on an Electronic voting system but not implemented because a commitee set up by the government said the system was not tested properly.

For full information on the broken Promises:
    http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/broken_promises.pdf

Have Your Say On Polling Day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Oh I will be using my vote. Despite telling 99% of the politicians im not voting. Could be an interesting electee in the Roscommon Area ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭uncivilservant

Let's not forget the Decentralisation fiasco while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by uncivilservant
    Let's not forget the Decentralisation fiasco while we're at it.
    Ah but that's all sorted now. Bertie's making a list and mightn't put you on the "do not promote" list for more than a few years if you pop yer name on it.

Where's my 5 megabit intaweb connection then? 2005 is coming fast and I don't want to spend all my time on a waiting list in a broken down hospital in the meantime.

Incidentally, I'm not totally sure that voting against the government in the local and euro elections purely because the national guys are a shower of wasters with a manifesto they lied like hell in is a great idea. Not that it's necessarily a bad idea mind you. Besides you've probably got some useless local councillors and useless euro representatives (or prospective ones) that you'd like to see gone. Lots of them are probably FF or PD. Just don't forget to screw them in the Dail elections in a few years as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭uncivilservant

Civil Servants have long memories.

Very long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I'll never forget to vote. People died so we could have that right, it would be an insult to there memory not to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by de5p0i1er
    People died so we could have that right, it would be an insult to there memory not to vote.

I see.

Do you make sure to exercise every one of your rights, every time the opportunity arises?

Virtually every single right you have - from our Constitution, from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, or from any other source - have ultimately been gained by people dying so you could have that right.

Voting is a right, not an obligation. Actively choosing not to exercise that right is part of what having the right is for.

jc

Advertisement