Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths paper 1

Options
  • 09-06-2004 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

What formulae thingies do we have to be able to prove? I can do all the differentiation stuff, but what else do we have to know? (i'm not doing induction).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

You doin honours? Well as far as I know, the only other thing you need on paper 1 is the factor theorem, which came up last year so you can pretty much rule that one out. I may be wrong but the only formulae I've learned to PROVE are the differentiation ones, the factor theorem and the induction one you're not doing. I suppose you might call the differentiation from first principles proofs, you should know how to do all the different types of first principles, I have a feeling one of those will come up this year.

Sometimes you are asked to use integration methods to find volume proofs but again one of those came up last year and I think they're going to lash on one of those hard area questions this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Factor theorem
    De Moivres Theorem
    Induction
    Derivation from first principles of:
    X^2
    X^3
    SinX
    CosX
    Root X
    1/X
    Sum Rule
    Product Rule
    Quotient Rule
    Differential thingy by induction (can't remember the name, basically dy/dx = nx^(n-1)

Two of those standard proofs use induction (de moivres and the last one), so you should have a rough idea of it.

Ah yeah, forgot De Moivre's, but if you know induction you know that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Grand, i spent 15 mins learning how to do the DY/DX proof thingy this evening, and thats everything then. I know all that stuff, so i should be grand.

BRING IT ON!

Stop your "bring it on" madness. Please, think of the children.

• Advertisement

Good luck! Hope everything comes up that we've all done before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

3 ****ing questions on differentiation on ordinary paper, 3 out of 8

bollocks :(

WOO WOO WOO WOOOOOO!

I did ALL 8 honours questions, and i'm pretty sure i got em right aswell. If only everything is like that.

3 down, 13 to go...

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    WOO WOO WOO WOOOOOO!

I did ALL 8 honours questions, and i'm pretty sure i got em right aswell. If only everything is like that.

3 down, 13 to go...
    cunt :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

sweet paper. I think i only dropped about 15 marks in total :D

• Advertisement

Neo can I get access to UDC so I can slag Macca for being a coward :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I think I got an A1 in that ordinary level paper. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Celt
    3 ****ing questions on differentiation on ordinary paper, 3 out of 8

bollocks :(
    Sounds about right, no? I thought there was always at least two differentiation questions, so it was never worth your while ignoring differentiation.

Differentiation is easy money tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I managed to do 7, my only problem was with Q6 (c) but I probably did it right anyway. I can't believe it was that easy.
    Higher level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Ordinary level Paper one answers,my answers. dispute away.

Q1 (a)6 (b)i 7000 ii 16660 iii44740 (c)i2703 ii2252.5 iii2297.5

Q2 (a)i -39 (b)i(3 & 0.5) iiproven (c) 2^1 ii 2^1/2 iii x=3.5

Q3 (a)x=3 (b) proven (c) p=2

Q5 (a)40,35,30,25,20 (b)i a=6 d=5 ii n=31 iii 402 (c) -4,16,-64 ii -819 iii proven to be true

Q6 (a)k=-4 (b)i (-1,-3) (3,1) ii 3xsquared -6x iii max(0,1) min(-2,-19) iv /\/ (shape) v f(x)<0 = -1, 1, 2 {x>0 = 0, 3} vi f`(1)<0

Q7 (a)i 10x4 ii -8x (b)theres lots of cubes etc,not typing it out! iiproven true (c) i 3m/s ii t=20 iii 860m iv4m/s cubed

I wrote my answers on the exam paper and brought the paper out.... if you wanted to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

i answered Q.1,2,3,5,6,7,8 ;-)

got everything out basically cept 8.b.ii that got me -_-

Did the usual question 1,2,3,6,7,8. 1 part (c) was a bit of a fukc up, 2 was sound, messed up the last part of the matrices in (c) part (ii), 6 (c) part (ii) another feck up. Q7 (c), again, ****ed it up. Q8 (b) part (ii) and (c). This whole leaving cert thing isn't going too well for me...

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    WOO WOO WOO WOOOOOO!

3 down, 13 to go...

Eh.. all 8? how exactly did you manage that?

I'm happy enough with the maths, I didn't expect to get every single part of every single question out going in and I didn't get off to a great start because Q1 was unusually tricky. Q2 was fine, Q3 also fine, Q6 good too, missed out on two parts in both Q7 and Q8. Definately no A1 but I'd expect a nice high C from that, will have to wait and see how paper 2 goes.

Originally posted by Swifty

I was thinking the same thing...
    will have to wait and see how paper 2 goes.

That's the thing - look at last years paper 1, lovely questions, nice and short. Paper two was a disaster for most people and their was even an internal review of the SEC ordered by the minister after the reaction people had to the paper.

Questions I had trouble with..

Q1 - (b) (ii) Christ I hate indices, did my fair amount of panicking at this one it's not nice not to be able to get one out at this early stage.

Q1 - (c) (ii) A big fat WTF? here.. how are you expected to cube the bracket with the three numbers without spending all day at it?

Q3 - (b) (ii) They didn't end up equal, looked over it about 3 times and could find no mistake there must have been though :(

Q7 - (b) (ii) Didn't end up perpendicular, whatever I did wrong.

Q7 - (c) (ii) Didn't know what to do here, wasn't actually sure what you were supposed to differentiate.

Q8 - (b) (ii) Can't beleive I didnt spot how to do this one, I was told after the exam :(

Q8 - (c) (ii) Made a small attempt by subbing in -h, 0 and h in the original equation but didn't know what to do then.

Too many mistakes you think? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

It was a deadly paper. Only had a problem with 6 c and 8 c. But I did 7 questions so that's cool!

Well, i managed it because i knew how to do em all. the only thing i was a bit uncertain about was proving the yoke in the induction question, but i made a very good attempt at it (if anyone wants to write out the solution for me that;d be great).

I origionally wasn't even going to bother with the induction question, as i can't really induct well, but since i had 7 questions finished with 45 mins to go, i gave it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

nice enough paper - dropped 25-45 marks - so worst case thats a B1, best case just scraped an a1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

A1 here in ordinary (could be an unlucky A2)

misread one question (they warned me so much) and didnt do it by first principles, and also messed up the complex numbers root question thingy :(

I did Q 1(HA),2,3,4,6,7 how come no-one does 4? thats quite a good one.

Too many mistakes you think?

You can afford to make 20 screw-ups and still get an A1. So, assuming you made one stupid mistake in each of those parts you got wrong, thats 7 screwups. So, you are still more or less on target. Deduct more marks accordingly if you could barely get a question started, but so far not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

I could actually do the questions! Really wasn't expecting that.

Q2(c)(i) was tricky, I got k=3 but I wasn't sure about it.

Q3(c), got weird numbers in my matrix but I think my methods were okay.

Q5(a), couldn't do it, I had the general formula but it wasn't working out for me. Did this as an extra question though so I'm not too bothered.

Q6(c)(ii), didn't have a clue. The 'hence' threw me; couldn't see how you'd connect the two.

Q8(c)(ii), not so great.

>>Q1 - (c) (ii) A big fat WTF? here.. how are you expected to cube the bracket with the three numbers without spending all day at it? <<

Did you read the 'hence'? :) Put the bits in the brackets equal to the bits in the question before it (a-x=p, b-x=q) and it's the same, so you can use the yoke above for it.

>>Q7 - (c) (ii) Didn't know what to do here, wasn't actually sure what you were supposed to differentiate.<<

I tried differentiating both of them and then did dx/dy of the first one, turned it over to get dy/dx, and subbed in the (1+x/1-x) wherever I had a e^2y. Worked out, don't know if I got the right ps and qs though.

I'm hoping they're nice and generous with the attempt marks 'cause I gave everything a shot, just didnt get out the ones I mentioned above.

Q7 - (c) (ii)

you reorganised the yoke til it was e^(2y) = .....

then you took the log of both sides, and ended up with 2y Ln(e)= Ln.....
    (using rules of logs to bring the 2y down).

Then ln(e) should be recognised as being 1... basic stuff here.

so you get 2y= Ln....

therfore y= 1/2Ln.... and you use rules of logs to bring the half up, and the thing in the Ln becomes squar-rooted if you know what i mean.

Then its just a differentiation question as per usual.

The answer is 1/1-x^2

Originally posted by claire h

Q3(c), got weird numbers in my matrix but I think my methods were okay.

Don't worry about that everyone I spoke to said they got strange numbers aswell. You get numbers in the thousands yea?
    Did you read the 'hence'? Put the bits in the brackets equal to the bits in the question before it (a-x=p, b-x=q) and it's the same, so you can use the yoke above for it.

I'm looking at it now I really can't see a way to sub in anything in those brackets!

• Advertisement

Ah ****, now I see what you mean in Q1 (c), claire.

Advertisement