Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy English?

Options
  • 09-06-2004 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

will his seemingly easy exam be marked very hard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I didn't find it easy at all and for the last few years I've been an A student. To be honest I didn't do any study for it but it was still hard. Paper 1, NO ****ING LANGUAGE OF ARGUMENT ESSAY and about 3 personal fcuking essays. The subject matter was boring, the passages didn't go well with my tired eyes.

Paper 2, no frikking Dickenson and the unseen poem... WHAT THE FCUK WAS THAT!?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

The unseen poem was beautiful. It was a total gift from the examiners. "Here son, you've worked hard for 3 hours, take these 20 marks, on the house."

My huge gamble of only preparing theme/issue paid off, and I managed to think up an ok essay on the spot, so I was happy overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i'm crap at unseen poetry, but i thought that was easy. The second question on it was just easy. Maybe i was just lucky, but i thought that was the easiest english paper i ever saw. (partly because the comparative was the same as my mock, and the poetry was rediclously easy, just a "Do you like kavnahg and why". The only slightly tricky thing was the MacBeth question, but i think i did grand on that.

By "easy" i mean i should be able to get a B2, not a chance in hell of me getting an A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

First whats with borads.ie being down all the time?!! especcially in such post needy times!!

Secondly yes ENGLISH WAS A GODSEND!!!

Paper1, Simple comprehensions, great questions, great part B`s

I did comprehension 3 Q A

and comprehension 1 Q B

As for essay`s they were simple, so much variety and choice , apadtation of any was easy.

Paper 2, Blessing (even tho I predicted bad and stumbled)

Macbeth, 2 great questions

Comparative, Everyone knew these two were coming up and they did , great!!

Poetry, Great unseen, very easy to comprehend and the poets were mostly predicted (with the obvoius exception of Emily which threw me quite badly :( )

Now after all my rant I think I got a high C or a possible B and this is great for me as I am very pessimistic! :D

But for anyone who worked or was aiming for an A you were blessed with this paper!

P.S

I was also thiking that they may mark them harder but last year a LOT of people failed and so they didnt want that this year so they may be marked easier if your a low level student (but you prolly aint)

also

Is over quoting bad in Macbeth answer?
    I gave about 3, 3 line quotes per page of my 3 page answer.

remember folks, 3 , t`is the magic number!!

but what I liked about the Kavanagh answer is I got to throw in about him Neologism`s!!! extra percent for sure! :D;) lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I nearly jumped up with delight at paper two!! I mean, Plath!! And such an open question. I just repeated the answer I had gotten an A on :D

ME so happy.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

It was a total gift from the examiners. "Here son, you've worked hard for 3 hours, take these 20 marks, on the house."

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that poem and then I saw Kavanagh, and not only Kavanagh but possibly the easiest question you could get on Kavanagh.
    I could kiss the people that came up with the English exam. Macbeth was good, Comparitive Themes and Issues was ridiculously easy.
    Paper 1 was decent enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

And a lovely Maths 1. Can't have gone any better for me so far, but I'm getting a bit worried that they're gonna have to hit us somewhere, if you know what I mean. I guess Irish (hons) today was a bit of a wanker with the reading comps, but I'm not counting Irish so I didn't really care. Was daydreaming about maths for most of it :P Anyway nice aural so my pass is safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Originally posted by Healio
    will his seemingly easy exam be marked very hard?

I think it will be.
    So dont everyone go partying yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

Originally posted by Smellyirishman
    First whats with borads.ie being down all the time?!! especcially in such post needy times!!

yeah and i thought that was just my 'puter.

eh, smellyirishman... your name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Bono_85

to be perfectly honest I was pretty annoyed at the paper,i had worked damn hard all year in english and the questions were dumbed down to the extreme, i mean comparative (write a comparative essay) was the question?? and there was no features of language question in the comprehensions. Also no arguments or persuasions?? but oh of course 2 personal respones and 2 short stories, it was crazy. The QuestionB? oh write a letter I mean it was so vague??? for 50mks it was krazy, paper2 was a joke too, its gonna get marked so hard and Im just well...... annoyed

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by Bono_85
    comparative (write a comparative essay) was the question?? .

Em, that is the usual format, there's very little variation between years, it always boils down to "compare & contrast".
    Also no arguments or persuasions?? but oh of course 2 personal respones and 2 short stories, it was crazy.

Luck of the draw? There's nothing to say there has to be Argument or Persuasion. Personally, I was overjoyed at the amount of choice in Personal Essay and Short Story.
    The QuestionB? oh write a letter I mean it was so vague???
    I'm sure quite a few people wouldn't have gotten the correct register for a letter. How many people would think to write down an address and sign it?
    paper2 was a joke too, its gonna get marked so hard and Im just well...... annoyed

Actually, I'm not too worried about that. It'll probably suck ass for anyone who did "good" as opposed to "great" in a school of geniuses, but I chose my exam centre carefully.

The grade curve will do the rest of the work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 V3003

You dont have to put the address on the letter. For proper register all you have got to do is write Dear Whoever , at the start. Then finish it up with Yours faithfully, .
    Unless it is a formal letter (in which case you should put an address)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

i generally hate personal essays, i love english ut the whole creativity thing I just cannot handle. However I thought that both paper 1 and 2 were beautiful. I mean the theme was relatively open for paper 1 you can interpret it however you want with regard to an essay. comprehensions were nice enough. As for paper 2, well my only real worry goin in was that I'd only done theme and issue for comparitive, luckily it came up. Macbeth qs were straightforward enough, q1 was a basic character study, i mean who hasn't studied the character of Macbeth himself???!!Poetry oh my god i have never seen such straightforward qs in a leaving cert exam. So yeah overall i thought the english paper was quite nice.

Advertisement