Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a word for...

Options
  • 09-06-2004 11:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

... a sentance that makes sense both ways, but isn't a palendrome (as in it means 2 different things depending on which way the words are)?

rough example:

I did.
    did I?

or:

Afar from home.
    Home from afar.

You know what I mean?

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Look here:

http://www.opundo.com/wordrow.htm
    Palingrams are sequences of letters, syllables or words that read the same backwards as forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"Unclear"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

thanks simu, but I'm looking for a word to describe a sentence (or string of words, such as my example below which would be the end of a sentence and the beginning of another) which reads differently backwards..... such as:

...Start the process. this is Never Ending......
    .....Ending? Never!! Is this process the start........?

I know the two sentences arent totally different, but they are layed out different, and so on.

flogen

How about this?
    semordnilap noun [C] a word, phrase or sentence which can be read in reverse with a different meaning

semordnilapic adjective

From here!

With regards to semordnilaps, I'm not sure if the words can be treated as indivisible units though.

“deliver no evil” and "live on reviled" would seem to be a purer version of a semordnilap but as far as I can see, the definition apples to your sample sentences too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

nice one simu, that seems to be bang on what I was looking for... I'd say it applies to whole words rather than individual letters, just like palingrams...:d

thanks again,

flogen

Advertisement