Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can drivers do damage?

Options
  • 10-06-2004 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭

The computer kind, not the car kind :D

Just wondering....I have a Logitech wireless desktop MX and it has all these fancy buttons for controlling music playback (volume, play/pause/stop/forward/back)

I was told by someone (who shall remain nameless) not to install the drivers for them, but she gave me no reason.

Has anyone experienced problems with logitech drivers, or is there any way to fix drivers if they do bugger something up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

The logitech drivers should be fine, they wont cause any conflicts, drivers if installed correctly rarely cause a problem, but if the drivers are under developed e.g. beta stage etc.. they can cause problems. As for recovering from driver errors booting to safe mode & removing them does it.

Thanks JoePC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

The Logitech bluetooth drivers are buggy and more trouble than they're worth, but otherwise Logitech stuff seems top notch.

But in general, yes. It is _possible_ for drives to do damage, but not very common. One example being certain VIA chipset mobo drivers conflicting with Atheros wireless drivers, causing random hard hangs. Hitting the reset button can then cause you to loose files / file fragments. I didn't loose anything important, however.

Advertisement