Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cue Lubrication

Options
  • 10-06-2004 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Alright Lads,

In my eternal wisdom I'm after buying a new cue from Ebay as linked below...
    Ebay Link

Anyway when I was christening it didnt I nearly burn the finger off myself on my bridge hand when it when I was going through my back swing...And that was only on the first few shots. Needless to say but the fourth frame things were getting hot !

Has anyone any ideas on how to smoothen the cue up to stop it from taking the skin off me finger when the first half century comes ???

Ive been looking on the web and linseed oil seems to be the thing...Does anyone know would this do the job for me ?

Cheers !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

sounds like the cue is varnished with a gloss finish.

either (a) sand off the varnish or
    (b) chalk your bridging hand between where the cue rests. ie between thumb and fist finger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Get a fine grade sand paper to take the finish off the top of the cue and then apply linseed oil to the exposed wood. The reason some companies apply a varnish type finish is to hide the "High Quality..." of the wood. Would be interested to see the cue to see is it actually hand spliced and to what standard it is made.

If it is not a varnish type finish the light sanding should do the trick. Remember to keep rotating the cue as you sand so as not to leave flat areas or divots in the cue

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Silent Assasin

Thanks for the Replies, Is there any tell tale signs of it being hand spliced ? Also gerire would you know of anywhere that might be able to do a job on it ?

Does your shop do anything or the place on capel street is that any use ??

Cheers !

Advertisement