Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Clicksilver between Macs?

• 10-06-2004 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Having already discovered that the claimed Mac-friendliness of UTV Clicksilver's Zyxel USB modem is a joke, I'm out to get a ethernet modem to connect to a wireless network (Buffalo Airport-compatible PCMCIA wireless card for a PowerBook, with a Buffalo WBR-G54-1 wireless router on order (still) and plans to get a refurb Airport-equipped G5 soon).

What ADSL modem would play nice with this setup and with Clicksilver? Asking at the counter in town gets you nowhere, and some (IT Direct, for one) kick up a stink if you try to return stuff.

All suggestions welcome (apart from "use a PC" ;-)

(Admins, is it OK to cross-post this to the Mac and wireless boards?)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have used a dlink 504 with an airport extreme base station and it worked fine. I have also used a lynksys 54g (I think thats the model no!) its a complete router wireless modem etc and it works grand as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Originally posted by dub45
    I have used a dlink 504 with an airport extreme base station and it worked fine. I have also used a lynksys 54g (I think thats the model no!) its a complete router wireless modem etc and it works grand as well.

I have a d-link 504 (the flat-lying grey gen II model) which I've never been able to get to work with Clicksilver , and I've never managed to flash the bios on the thing either.

IT Direct seem to have a policy of avoiding taking returns at all costs :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Maoltuile
    What ADSL modem would play nice with this setup and with Clicksilver? Asking at the counter in town gets you nowhere, and some (IT Direct, for one) kick up a stink if you try to return stuff.
    ITDirect list the D-Link DSL-604+ on their websiite, which is an "all in one" box with DSL modem, 4 port switch and wireless access point. I know someone who has used this with Clicksilver.

(It's 802.11B, rather than 802.11G, but unless you expect to be transferring large amounts of files between your wireless PCs, that's not really much of an issue, as 802.11B is still way faster than your DSL connection).

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Originally posted by Ripwave
    ITDirect list the D-Link DSL-604+ on their websiite, which is an "all in one" box with DSL modem, 4 port switch and wireless access point. I know someone who has used this with Clicksilver.

(It's 802.11B, rather than 802.11G, but unless you expect to be transferring large amounts of files between your wireless PCs, that's not really much of an issue, as 802.11B is still way faster than your DSL connection).

Hi Ripwave,

Based on (bitter) past experience with a D-Link 504, I'm wary of going with them again. Buffalo are 'Mac-friendly', and I do a bit of Final Cut and DVDSP work, so I have to handle large files (I 've bought a 54mbps Buffalo wifi card for the Mac laptop)

What's Netgear like? I saw a few in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Based on (bitter) past experience with a D-Link 504, I'm wary of going with them again. Buffalo are 'Mac-friendly', and I do a bit of Final Cut and DVDSP work, so I have to handle large files (I 've bought a 54mbps Buffalo wifi card for the Mac laptop).
    yeah, different people seem to have very different positive and negative experiences - based on my positive experiences with various D-Link gear, I'd always select D-Link first.
    What's Netgear like? I saw a few in town.
    I don't have much to report either way, but Netgear do have an "all in one" device with 802.11g - http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE871160&productID=74093

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have a d-link 504 (the flat-lying grey gen II model) which I've never been able to get to work with Clicksilver , and I've never managed to flash the bios on the thing either.

IT Direct seem to have a policy of avoiding taking returns at all costs :-(

I have used the 504 with clicksilver since its introduction and never had a minute's trouble (shouldnt say things like that it tempts fate...) the odd thing is I cant access the set up screen on the 504 from my pc but can access it from the mac no problem.

All other 'screen' parts of the 504 show up on the pc no problem.

What sort of problems did you have trying to access Clicksilver with the 504?

Advertisement