Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deck treatment

• 10-06-2004 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I'm having a deck installed as we speak. It's the standard tanalised pine (Glendeck) that many decks in Ireland are made from.

Although this kind of wood doesn't necessarily need to be treated, I would be prepared to put something on it once a year to keep it looking its best.

Can anyone recommend a good deck oil or treament? I've been looking at stuff like Seasonite, Cuprinol etc. but it's bewildering.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

there is a huge range of Ronseal decking preservative paint and oils for decking,I have used the coloured stain by Ronseal for past couple of years now which is great....Ronseal have two types of decking(stain) paint if your going that way in a year or so....one is water based which is good and dries very quick,and other one is spirit based one which takes a time to dry.

anyway if you want to keep the natural look of the wood after a year or so....the main thing that will happen too wood is that it becomes discoloured from sun and weather plus moss from roof might fall down and can sometimes discolour it too....you can get a wash thats great for cleaning decking before you paint it....i think Ronseal do this also but u sprinkle it on and just wash it off with water and use a Yard brush to scrub the deck and it brings back wood to a good colour.....there is a Ronseal decking oil also if you just want to keep it natural this oil penetrates it deeply and leaves a natural finish..

but as i said they have a good range of colours if you get tired of the natural look....but i would recommend the water based(stained) one and like all stuff this does have to done once or you might get away with it every year an half....depends on wear n tear etc......

now dont make the mistake of putting fence paint on when u think its time to paint it as some people i know who have done this,Fence paint is no good for Decking only fencing etc......it makes the deck very slippery....in other words its lethal for walking on.......(very slippery)

a 2.5litre of stain paint does my decking which is 20ft by 9ft......just to let you know the coverage.....

ok hope this helps

P.S i think all oils and stains and paints for decking leave a Satin finish....

Advertisement