Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID3 tags are getting mysteriously borked....

Options
  • 10-06-2004 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

http://members.boards.ie/tman/winamp_id3tags.jpg

i'm ****ing stumped with this one, it seems that half of my music collection has had the track number field deleted from its id3 tags:confused:
    everything was fine on tuesday, i then loaded winamp yesterday and noticed that most of my albums are now arranged by track name.

this is truely bizzaro... can anyone recommend an app for fixing this (all of my album file names are in the same format as the pic above, i'm hoping i can extract the track number from the filename)
    and if anyone knows why the hell this happened, i'd love to know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Looks like ID3V1's been turned off or removed. The best thing for retagging is Musicbrainz:

http://www.musicbrainz.org

Download the prog, drag all your tunes in and come back to it in an hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Do you have an ipod or some other hd-based mp3 player? Itunes has deleted the comment field in all my mp3s,as it uses that as a place to store info it uses to quickly normalise the volume of all my songs. Maybe some other player's software likes deleting track numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

eh. i don't use id3v1 by choice when ripping cds, id3v2 is far superior.

the weird thing is, i haven't installed any audio software or equiptment recently that i haven't used before.
    its possible that it could be related to showshifter...

i'll give that musicbrainz app a whirl later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

musicbrainz is very good but not perfect. It can "just work", but recently I've found myself having to tweak the odd track here and there. I haven't found a better one yet though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

ID3 freaks me out, I'd much rather name the files clearly and turn that **** off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

If your files are named with the track number in the file names, you can use ID3-TagIT to get the track numbers back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

cheers for the suggestions on software guys.
    i had a very brief look at that musicbrainz app last night, seems you need an internet connection for it to work properly:dunno:
    ID3-Tagit sounds like it should do the job nicely.

i'd still love to get to the bottom of why the hell this happened in the first place.
    attatched is a grab of the properties page of one of the borked files, the date created and last edited seem to be perfectly normal:confused:
    (i formatted my hard drive on the 20th and copied my media library back onto it)

Originally posted by Spacedog
    ID3 freaks me out, I'd much rather name the files clearly and turn that **** off!
    when you've got a collection the size of mine, its hand to be able to sort my winamp library by artist, track, title or album.
    i usually leave single mp3's untagged, albums i prefer to be properly tagged

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I tag everything, as my ipod adds each track to its database according to the info in the tags.

• Advertisement
Advertisement