Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL down in Lucan

• 10-06-2004 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

NTL BB has not been working in Haydens Park since Monday does anyone else in Lucan have this problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

Its been working fine in Castle Riada all week. I am online now. Supposed to be 'Teleworking'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

'tis down in Tullyhall too.
    Spoke to them last night and they said it would be back up today. Problems seemed to coincide with a power failure in Lucan Shopping centre. NTL TV service seems to be up and down like a tart's knickers since then too. wife tells me TV just went off again so I take it they are doing some work on it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭GavinKeller

Tullyhall is right beside me so you must be on the same NTL cell as me milltown.

My friend has NTL BB in Forrester Court and its been working fine for him.

I rang them to find out whats going on and was told that an amp had blown and thats whats causing the problem. I ask if it would be back up today and they said hopefully.

I'm in work at the moment so I can't check if its back up yet but hopefully it will be up when I get home!

Its backup now !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm right beside Tullyhall myself and it has been fine. In fact apart from two outages that I can remember since joining them, I ALWAYS seem to have my 125KB/s

Me happy NTL customer :)

How does the contention work out for you guys in Lucan?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by unkel
    I ALWAYS seem to have my 125KB/s

Bástards!!!

roll out that cable ntl, quicksmart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Off-topic but does anyone have an idea when or if NTL plan on rolling this out to Leixlip? I've emailed them but they just said "some time in the future".

Thanks for the replys,

oeNeo I've no idea when it will be rolled out to Leixlip but there's a big roll out coming in August so fingers crossed. Hope you get it too Chief its a great option for broadband and they'll be upgrading all 1MB users to 1.5MB for free :D

unkel I have never had any problems with the broadband speed always downloads at 125KB/s (NTL's contention is 17:1)

Cheers all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by GavinKeller
    NTL's contention is 17:1

Didn't know that, thanks

Mind, I dunno how that works out. You'd expect not always to have full throttle, but any time I download from reputable (fast) site, I get full speed. Or is contention based on a lot more subscribers, i.e. up to a certain number of people connected and everybody has full throttle because of the bandwith available to NTL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I was speaking to a NTL techie a while back after upgrading to the 1 meg, enquiring whether the "cap" goes up pro rata. He said the cap remains a gig a day but it won't be enforced until contention becomes an issue. He said this was a long way off in Ireland yet.
    I guess that means there's more than enough bandwidth for Lucan for the foreseeable future.

On the downside, my BB was down again for the past two days (support said most of Lucan was out, Unkel?). Why is it when NTL goes down it stays down for days instead of hours like other ISPs?

• Advertisement

Milltown its was down for me for since yesterday till today (about 24 hours or so) and every time I rang they told me that they were looking into it and they hoped that it would be up soon. They weren't able to tell me what the problem was blah blah blah ...

I told them that kind of response is fine if it is down for an hour or so but if it is longer than 24 hours that they should contact any affected customers to let them know so we don't get annoyed checking every 30mins to see if it is back up again to find out its not also every time it happens you should log a complaint with them.

Also there CS team is not informed when it does go back up so when you ring them to see if it is up and they say it isn't. :dunno:

I'll explain,

I set up 2 MSN messenger accounts Mick Home and Mick Work. When every the connection goes down I can see in work that the home PC is offline (not that often) and when the connection comes back up MSN messenger (Mick Home) auto logs on so I can see it is backup.

This happened today at about 4pm. I rang NTL to get my home IP address so I could logon to my home PC using Remote Desktop Connection but they kept telling me that it was still down :dunno: even though I could see it was still up.

I think that there seems to be a lack of communication between the different departments in NTL but what can we do ...

Anyway its back up now so lets hope it doesn't go down again and if it does

:ninja: :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Actually I think the contention is 20:1. So says this.

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Actually I think the contention is 20:1. So says this.

Yeah and here's another site that says 20:1 http://www.broadband.gov.ie/BBInfo/ServiceListWF.aspx

NTL round up to 20:1 but it is actualy 17:1 :D

Advertisement