Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your memories of your first Internationel tournament.

• 10-06-2004 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭

Well im a bit younger than most of ya's so mine are a bit newer . I just missed out on Euro 96 by starting to watch soccer very soon after (I think a few months after , and I think it was world cup qualifying ).

World Cup 98

was my first real tournament to watch , I watched all games possible and had one of those poster filly in things , but today I can only remember anything of the semis and the Final ( who says people dont remember looser ;) ) . The Dutch versus , the Braziliand was a good game , I can still remember the runs Boujeoun Zenden made, skinng the Brazilian defence before firing an over hit cross into the box ( cant remember the socre :( )

Craotia versus France ( by this time I was on holidays in Ibiza:p ) . I was hopeing the Craots would win being the underdog and all , but france was the better team ( 2-1 the score ? .

ah the Final Ronaldo nowhere near fit an the Brazilinas nowhere near decent , the French took them apart 3-0 with Petit scoring the last .

oh wait its all coming back now Mexico V Germany , A fairly boring game , where I got to see Klinzman play before he retired , I was taught a very valuable lesson that day the every1 learns sometime in their life : never write off the Germans . Mexico 1-0 up with not that much time left , but a long ball went down the field boucing just before the box Klinzman slots the ball over the tiny jersey deseigner Campos to make it 1-1 . It extra time I beleive it was Bierhoff he headed the ball in to win the game for the Germans .

Paraguay V France : Emanuel Petit put an end to a boring game with a golden goal . Crap match crap goalkeeping ny Chilavert . Brazil Scotland 2-1 . Morroco and Norway in the group , with Norway beating Brazil to go through . Spains Zubezareta being worst goalie in the tournament . The more I think the more I remember . :) . It was a good tournament .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

jasus, feel old now :)

Suppose World Cup 86 would be the first tournament I really took an interest in, would have been 10..

Maradonna tearing ****e out of England, england moaning about it, poor old england, ahhh those were the daze :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

82 would be my 1st , then proper was euro84 Platini and that.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I have a very hazy recollection of WC90. I wasn't all that interested in soccer when I was younger.

I remember bits of WC94. One that comes to mind is Carlos Dunga lifting the trophy, probably because I've seen it a few times on TV since.

I watched most of Euro96.

I watched most of the games in WC98. Two things I particularly remember are Jay Jay Okocha's mind boggling stepover nutmeg and most of all Bergkamps goal against Argentina in the 90th minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

First one was WC1990....never really got into footie before but then got one of those wall charts to keep the scores and as they say the rest of history!!

Maradona cryin at final whistle of the final.....one of the worst games in football history! oh yeah and the final in US was brutal as well!

Before that I have some memories of 88 and beating England but was 2 young 2 get into footie!

Feelin old now as well......WC98......God!! dont know how many hours of footie I had watched by the time 98 came around!! lets just say a good few games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    jasus, feel old now :)

Suppose World Cup 86 would be the first tournament I really took an interest in, would have been 10..

Maradonna tearing ****e out of England, england moaning about it, poor old england, ahhh those were the daze :)

What he said!! especially the bit about feeling old!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    I

I watched most of the games in WC98. Two things I particularly remember are Jay Jay Okocha's mind boggling stepover nutmeg and most of all Bergkamps goal against Argentina in the 90th minute.

I remember Bergkamp's goal very well too .
    When I went to post this thread I could hardly remember anything now I remember everyting .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    What he said!! especially the bit about feeling old!! :D

I second that ;)

Full memories of Euro 88, and how close we came to the semis...:(

And Timofte's peno in Italia 90 will remain with me until I'm old and pis*ing myself. The old geezer crying in the pub gets me blubbering all the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by therecklessone

And Timofte's peno in Italia 90 will remain with me until I'm old and pis*ing myself. The old geezer crying in the pub gets me blubbering all the time...

...rte had a big italia 90 memories programs on one night a few years back and if it's the same old geezer you speak of clapping his hands and bawling his eyes...yeap, i was choking looking at it too. sweet memories.

euro 88 is where the fanaticism began for me.
    To think we almost eliminated the champions to be, Holland.
    That fluke of a header with 8 minutes remaining....
    And you'll sing Ireland Ireland, We can beat this lot...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Saw bits of WC90, but 94 was really the first, watched every game. Romania vs Argentina was one of the best matches i've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by knobbles
    ...rte had a big italia 90 memories programs on one night a few years back and if it's the same old geezer you speak of clapping his hands and bawling his eyes...yeap, i was choking looking at it too. sweet memoriesURL]

Yeah remember him too! He's was in the Submarine Bar in Crumlin.

***Just thinking though, it's horrible that we're not there for this one. What makes it even worse is that I'd probably be heading off today if we qualified 'cos I got approved and paid for a Follow Your Team Ticket. God! Even thinking about it does me head in!!!

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Argentina 78 was the first final i saw but all i really remember was the tickertape and i probably only remember that because ive seen it replayed so many times.

spain 82 i watched most of and to this day its still the best world cup that ive been alive for, but i was still a bit too young to really appreciate it. I remember the Saudis doing that mad 'all walk off the pitch and back on again' thing as being one of the non-footballing highlights:)

On the field Norn Iron beat the hosts in a memorable game. In the most bizarre second stage a world cup has ever seen (4 groups of 3 teams - winners went to semi finals), Brazil, Argentina and Italy played out a geniune group of death. Shock of the tournament was harold schumacher NOT being sent off for knocking 2 of Battistons teeth out in a horror tackle. He subsequently stayed on and became a penalty shootout here and denied one of the most talented teams in history a world cup.

In terms of romance tho, this tournament forever changed my perception of football. After a month in the company of Zico, Socrates and Falcoa, Football would always be yellow tinted :) (even if mr Rossi had to go and ruin everything )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I remember bits of '88 was only 6 years old at the time. Remember the old buck getting upset over something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ahh Dustaz good post ,Shumacher also broke his ribs ,as a kid France were my team so i nearly cried when he got killed. Also remember Zicos bendiest free kick ever it went for the corner flag then bent back into the top corner (i **** you not has to be seen to be believed.)

And Socrates was gifted that was the best brazil team i seen not win anything. The druggie knocked em out :)

Think it was Rossi who was suspended over it.

Edited to add that russian lads goal vs Bats ,think it was nicknamed rats beats Bats ,he was all of 50 yards and beat the keepr with power, keeper was on line just sheer power took it in.
    http://www.planetworldcup.com/index.html Good website
    kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Mexico 86 would be the first one i remember , Maradonna and the 'Hand of God'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Anybody remember this?
    ;)

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Shock of the tournament was harold schumacher NOT being sent off for knocking 2 of Battistons teeth out in a horror tackle. He subsequently stayed on and became a penalty shootout here and denied one of the most talented teams in history a world cup.

Was only talking about that last week with some mates. Apparently the two of them are best mates now. Still, absolutely disgraceful stuff.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Anybody remember this?
    ;)

Yes.

Pure Roy Of The Rovers stuff that was. And we should have won that match as well.

TBH, that was our best chance of ever winning a major tournament. We played so well as a unit, and had some superb individuals in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I vaguely remember the 74 final but my my first real memories are of the 1978 final. My Dad gave me a Dutch jersey and they went all the way to the final before being beaten By Argentina. Some great long rang goals in that tournament . Was it that tournament that the ref (clive thomas if my memory serves me right) disallowed a goal after blowing the full time whistle after a player had taken a shot that ended up in the back of the net.

I remember them all from then on but the best memory is Italia 90 and especially the celebrations after we knocked out romania in the pen shootout. I dont think the county will ever go as mad again for anything. Ray Houghtons goals against England in the 88 euros and The Italians in the word cup Usa 94 and Paul Mc Graths defending in that game are all special moments in my memory too

Originally posted by The Muppet
    The Italians in the word cup Usa 94 and Paul Mc Graths defending in that game are all special moments in my memory too

He was immense that day. The stuff legends are made of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Anybody remember this?

Yes , If Carlsberg made goals they would make them like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Jeez,
    Definitely feeling old!!!
    Remember 78 and 82 but has to be
    Mexico 86 for me, was in the middle of my Inter Cert (jeez even thats changed!!)

Remember hiding an old portable under a duvet trying to sneak some pre exam matches @ 2 or 3 in the morning.

REmember the broadcasting satellite/antennae over the stadium right over the centr circle, Jimmy Magee's commentary on both Maradonnas goals against England was class.

Originally posted by moby2101
    Jeez,
    Definitely feeling old!!!
    Remember 78 and 82 but has to be
    Mexico 86 for me, was in the middle of my Inter Cert (jeez even thats changed!!)
    I assume you done your Inter Cert at around 16? Therefore you would have been 8 in '78. I can't remember anything before the age of 12 TBH.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Anybody remember this?
    ;)

Needs the commentry

George Hamilton:
    "Ireland's throw.....seven and a half minutes to half time
    ..................OHH WHELAN!!!!!!!!.........AND RONNIE WHELAN HAS DONE IT!"

i must have replayed that about a 100 times that summer and spent a year trying to pull it off during footie matches for the local team.

Some throw by McCarthy!

Originally posted by knobbles
    Some throw by McCarthy!
    Aye, the throw is nearly as good as the goal itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Euro 88 was my first

I was at the Holland game, in Gelsenkirchen I think it was, it was my first Ireland game aswell. I was seven but i remember it really well, I was going to go to the england match but my dad knew there would be trouble so he wouldnt bring me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Jaysus !!

Feeling like an OAP here - 1974 WC Final Germany v Holland. Remember the 1974 English Cup Final too. 1978 and Ossie Ardiles and Passerella and Mario Kempes. For those who dont remember the last 2 names .... buy the History of the World Cup on DVD (3CD set cheap at < €10)- skip the Beckham crap and go to the class DVD - showing 1978 to 1990. Includes the goals from the greatest game of football I ever saw - the 1982 QF between Brazil and Italy from Barcelona ... I remember as if it was yesterday and how I almost cried when the best team ever lost to bloody Paolo Rossi .. absolute travesty ... still shocked 22 years later ... and it was a wonderfully sunny Tuesday/Thursday(?) back home in Waterford. Pure football education.

Any else remember the Brazil v Scotland game that year and Eder ? Stuff real memories are made of ...

Collecting his buspass later
    Jolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Anybody remember this?
    ;)

my brother tells me about that time every time an internationel tourny comes around . Its actually the first time ive seen it .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

I assume you done your Inter Cert at around 16? Therefore you would have been 8 in '78. I can't remember anything before the age of 12 TBH.

I was 15!!!
    I remember the 78 finals well, it was the same year I paid my first visit to HIGHBURY!!
    I still have some of the memorabilia that i collected from Tayto packs to coincide with the 78 world cup, ( I think U had to collect 30 crisp packets to get a kitbag and ball!
    !!!)
    I remember Kempes goals in Argentina's 2-0 victory over Poland, then after a violent goalless draw with Brazil he scored two more as Argentina beat Peru by 6-0 and qualified to to the final. Argentina had to win that match by four goals, otherwise Brazil would have qualified to the final instead.

Tayto was 5p a pack atime btw!!!!!!

Originally posted by moby2101

I remember Kempes goals in Argentina's 2-0 victory over Poland, then after a violent goalless draw with Brazil he scored two more as Argentina beat Peru by 6-0 and qualified to to the final. Argentina had to win that match by four goals, otherwise Brazil would have qualified to the final instead.

Tayto was 5p a pack atime btw!!!!!!

A very questionable result it was as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement