Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Objective info on asylum seeker entitlements

Options
  • 10-06-2004 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Does any body know any sites (government ones preferably) where I could get info about the social welfar entitlements of asylum seekers?

(I know there's a separate forum now for the upcoming referendum, but I don't want my question to get swamped by people trying to get me to vote one way or another).

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/seeking_asylum/direct_provision.html

If you want more information on the asylum process, general rights etc;

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/seeking_asylum/

But bear in mind that asylum is an issue in itself, and not really the object in this referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I know, I need official sources to counteract the claims of certain people around me that asylum seekers get 500 euros a week from the govt, free houses, entry to private schools for their kids and other such unlikely things.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Isn't it difficult to find sources to refute claims.

For example, if I claim that asylum seekers get given a free Mercedes Benz after they've been in the country for 6 months, how do you find something to refute that?

If people can't show what their claims are based on, don't bother refuting them...just tell htem that there is no reason to believe that what they are saying is true, as there is simply no non-anecdotal (me mate Tony down the pub said....) evidence.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

as part of the mayday weekend i went up to mosney reception/detention centre to meet the residents and have a picnic with them... (now you didn't hear about that on skynews did ya)

unfortunately there wasn't many of them there, but we did speak with a few, now i don't know much about them ill have to talk to them again...

they get 19 euros a week .... the train to dublin is 14e return, that says it all all the bureacy is in dublin... etc ...

i think it was two years ago when they changed from vouchers for food to "direct provision" then have to have set meals at set times, the meals are predominalty an irish concept and are unpalatable to the residents palettes... this serverly restricts there freedom think of how many of us have set meals times and if we missed them we couldn't afford to eat...

there was a carpark outside the challettes and it was nearly full of cars... cheap hatchbacks.... so a number of the residents of mosney do own cars.... but some of them have been the two years, that 24 months, 104 weeks etc etc... the train station in laytown is a good half hour walk away, down country lanes ... i was surprised how far it was.... there used to be train station next to mosney( i can't remember it myself) but they shut it down, imagine theres a station right next to the camp but they make em walk 1/2 hour away to pay most of the weeks money to get a train... yes they have cars which they bought between themselves

ps its mostly families ,about 700 souls in all lots of kids, they do have creche/schooling and stuff like that in the camp but hey that only to be expected

i mgihtent be totally correct if eveything i say here but i think in general this is what the guy told me

i think that people get mixed up between asylum seekers, former aslyum seekers, immigrant workers, visiting students, visiting workers, former asylum seekers, econmic migrants, refugees , former refugees.... anybody who's noticable not white irish

i know i do

just ancedotal but search for integrating ireland and you may be find more info if search around there a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

While it is probably fair to say that the folks in mosnia have a very tough and meagre life style, I have a few issues with what you said there mate.
    imagine theres a station right next to the camp but they make em walk 1/2 hour away to pay most of the weeks money to get a train

In fairness now "they make em walk 1/2 hour to pay most ot the weeks money to get the train"

Do they have whips and pitch forks and stuff.

I've got the train to Drogheda a good few times and it has lots of stops. I don't think a new stop should be created for a relatively small number of people who have a stop within a mile and a half of their homes.

Being unfairly biased in favour of asylum seekers is not a help, it just create racism.

• Advertisement

there's stop beside mosney already.. its there its closed... it could be opened and run to the bare minimun... but its like i always hear people saying they need cars in the countryside to get anywhere so do these guys thats what im saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

Well you just said they did have cars

but just like everyone else in the country if eaier access public transport was provided, and fairer nation in it entirity they woudn't need em!!!!

Originally posted by bonkey

If people can't show what their claims are based on, don't bother refuting them...just tell htem that there is no reason to believe that what they are saying is true, as there is simply no non-anecdotal (me mate Tony down the pub said....) evidence.

jc

Yeah, I should avoid morons altogether I suppose. It's just that I know people whose opinions are easily swayed by those around them so if I tell them the truth about asylum seekers, they might just absorb it. So now I can tell them that asylum seekers are entitled to X amount of money a week and that they can see this on a govt website if they don't believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

I don't think a new stop should be created for a relatively small number of people who have a stop within a mile and a half of their homes.

A new stop wouldn't be created, why was the old one closed?
    Being unfairly biased in favour of asylum seekers is not a help, it just create racism.

Who's being unfairly biased in this thread?

What causes Racism is making people wait years to be processed and not letting them work forcing them to look like scroungers.
    Creating hysteria about “floods” and things that “might” happen even though there is NO evidence to suggest it.
    Hyping a minor inconsequential legal anomaly for election purposes now
    THAT CREATES RACISM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by simu
    Does any body know any sites (government ones preferably) where I could get info about the social welfar entitlements of asylum seekers?
    Try these ones

http://www.orac.ie/

http://www.irishrefugeecouncil.ie/

http://www.immigrantcouncil.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nevada

simu wrote:
    I know, I need official sources to counteract the claims of certain people around me that asylum seekers get 500 euros a week from the govt, free houses, entry to private schools for their kids and other such unlikely things.

Thanks!

I think i read somewhere that the whole asylum seeking racket cost the state 370million last year. So if there are 50000 here, thats 7400 euro per chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Outstanding. As your first contribution to this forum;

1. You drag up a thread that is 8 months old.
    2. Post unsubstantiated 'something' I read 'somewhere'
    3. Use offensive terms for the people under discussion
    4. Use wildly inaccurate statistics that you made up to deduce something that is blatently wrong

Welcome to politics. You'll fit right at home here, along with some other racis..err..posters.

I suggest you look here;
    http://www.orac.ie/pages/Stats/statistics.htm
    and here
    http://www.irishrefugeecouncil.ie/stats.html
    and especially here;
    http://www.irishrefugeecouncil.ie/press04/costs.html

And maybe, err actually educate yourself about these matters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Popperised

Nevada wrote:
    I think i read somewhere that the whole asylum seeking racket cost the state 370million last year. So if there are 50000 here, thats 7400 euro per chancer

A ‘Racist’ ,in the modern context, is somebody who beats an ‘liberal’ in an argument!!” :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

A ‘Racist’ ,in the modern context, is somebody who beats an ‘liberal’ in an argument!!”

God, I'm humbled by your wit. Is this a convention that's in town or are you all staying?

Nevada wrote:

As Madsl said, sources please.

Whatever the amount spent by the state, remember that this isn't being handed out directly to asylum seekers - a lot of it will be going to fund the relevant government agencies and so on. You must also consider the long term benefits in the form of the contributions (cultural & economic) of people who have been given asylum and who have started new lives here. Your use of language suggests you don't believe there is such a thing as a genuine asylum seeker - ixnay on the stereotypes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

little prospect of genuine discussion here. Two people with their cards marked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement