Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 in Weds

• 10-06-2004 12:55pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well as a group - boards.ie that is - we are making steady headway at the Fitz. last night myself, Samson & Spiritus made the final 4 - good showings all round. Although when we were down to 5 it was a bit tentative but I was personally happy even though it was a bit slow.

Surprising result for me - ended up chip leader - we did a deal 3-way - which coupled with my Sunday win is a good back-to-back result. Especially as early on I was down to the bear minimum - as was Samson so a good show by him also (came 4th). Spiritus was his normal 'loose' self - ahem - and was part of the 3-way deal.

Great work.

Hyzepher

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

well done guys, jealousy setting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I bet only 4 players started the tournament.... well done anyway lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Good performance guys. So if I ever get to play in one of your cash games I'll know who to watch out for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

yeah, all of them

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Congrats guys!

I had a head wrecking night of cards. It was a tale of two hands... both kinda funny.

First hand I glance down in the BB to see Q9... hey, I've seen nothing all night and this looks like sex itself in the BB. Called round to me, nice, and flop brings KQ9. Two pair... I'm lovin' it! I bet 500 into a 1000 pot... I just want my chips now please. One caller... ok I've caught a fish lets see where this goes.

Turn comes a Q and I check my house, he checks too. I also check my cards and realise that for the first time ever I've misread my hole cards. I have Q6. Oops but its ok cos I've still got trips and the 500 bet might have been aggressive on middle pair (:)) but alls well that ends well.

The river is a King... now I've a house again and bet 200 as a feeler bet. He reraises to 1000. I look at him and I know what I have to do.
    I fold my house to what I suspect is a superior house. I put the cards down face up (delivering a line from Rounders which had been going through my head at the time...) and show the house. He looks at me looks at the cards and looks at me again and flips over his cards to show a king for a house of kings over queens. He's shocked but to be honest it wasnt a hard put down if you replay the hand in your head.
    What would you have done?

The other hand is a doozey and since I've often written here about good calls I've made and bad beats I've had... here's the reverse, an awful call by me and an utter fluke to save my ass...

Its the very next hand after the break. Blinds are still 50/100 and I have 5K. There are three callers round to my SB and I have 77. I cant *think* of a way to get two of them to feck off so I can be heads up with AQ or something. I think about going all in but one of them could have a decent pair! I decide to limp, resigned to the fact that I'll be leaving the flop when it comes AKQ... the flop comes 10,7,5 and I'm rejoicing! I put out a 500 bet and get one caller. Oh oh... re-evaluate the board and I put him on a diamond draw as there are 2 on board. Turn comes a rag diamond. Bugger... I bet another 500 (stupidly!) on the off chance he has only the Ace of diamonds or something weak like that. The guy (who was really decent bloke all night) thinks for *ages* and then reraises 500. To this moment I dont know why I called but I did. I think the fact that he took so long convinced me he didnt have anything yet but the reraise should have given me a lot of pause for thought but I call all the same. The River comes a 7 and how I didnt do a solo congo-line on the table I dont know. I tossed the rest in with a trademark shrug and a Ken-tastic [tm] "And the rest!"
    The bloke goes for it and I double through to 10K... woot!

As an aside: he was really cool about it and I felt dreadful for fluking a win like that. We'd been joking beside each other all night and complaining about bad cards etc so when he's UTG next (as has 800 left and really must bet it this time or next!) I leaned over to him and whispered "hey, I hope you get aces man!". The cards are dealt, he tosses all his chips in (as he really has to do) and gets one caller. I bow out as BB and they're on their backs.... he turns over aces! I told him about this board so hopefully he'll find his way here.

After that, I had over 10K and never saw a face card again.... my stack dwindled to 4K from blinds only... and on 4k I made a reasonably good stab at a bluff but was called by QQ (unraised pre flop, 4 callers and with an ace on board! GRRRR!!).

Frustrating night of cards by the House and the Poker hands were fun to play!

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    Samson... ...(came 4th).

Don't remind me.
    Oh the shame of it all, the wrong move at the wrong time. I could swear I could hear the table laughing at me as I left.
    (I went all in with 9,10o after the flop, which had a pair of threes - Chris had a third).

Well done BTW.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Still, you continue your solid run of good finishes Samson. Plyd!

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Play the poker of course! Obvious! haha.

Advertisement