Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harddrive again

Options
  • 10-06-2004 1:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

well this time i think my harddrive is officially ****ed

my computer takes ages to boot up
    and then when it does my harddrive goes off on a loop (well it sounds like its trying to do something over and over again)
    this stalls my computer and makes it unworkable

have ordered a new harddrive as i was planning an upgrade and having my current one as backup but i dont think that will be possible now
    also a messenger error comes up every few minutes even though im after uninstalling it!? (you the one thats says send an a report to microsoft, also gives u the option to not send it)

before ya ask ya i did defrag the drive, did a spybot a+d search, did a ad aware search and an antivirus search and nothing...

im running out of options here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

If there's a lot of disk activity, and clicking from the drive, it could be the start of a disk failure....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

As Homer says Smrat :)

Run the utilies program you got with it 9if not download it from makers website) it will tell you how fooked it is or isnt. Also the Smart test will tell you status on it.

Have you tried a reformat and reinstall?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

this has happened to me a few times and it turned out to be a bad connection on the ide cable. try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable from the motherboard and the harddrive or try another cable if you have one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

reformat and reinstall ill do after i get the other hard drive

dont want to lose all my movies and mp3's now do i :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by jank
    dont want to lose all my movies and mp3's now do i :p

Which is why you should always have more than one partition on your HDD. One for your OS and software. Data and everything else on a second partition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement