Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loaded question re council and meps :)

Options
  • 10-06-2004 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

i don't always have to reasonalbe do i

who has _less_ power meps or councillors...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Depends on your definition of power.

Councillors don't get to do very many interesting things, little control over a small area and not a great deal of financial control over a (relatively) tiny amount of money. Probably about 40% of them are using it as a stepping stone to something else, another 40% tried to and made a balls of it, a few who just like the easy money and a few who are genuine representatives trying to make a difference. Just like the Dail then.[1]

I reckon it's MEPs though - the only useful and significant thing they get to do for five years is twiddle around with the EU budget. A scary amount of money is is to be sure but they don't even get to twiddle with it very much. I don't refer to the EU Commission as the Politburo for no reason. They get a bigger expense account though so it probably helps when trying to get to sleep at night. A councillor can actually make a difference to their local community - an MEP doesn't have a local community to speak of. If I found a group of people worth representing I'd happily represent them in a small town or city council. To be an MEP you either have a big plan (that doesn't involve simply enriching yourself) or you've a good chance of being a waste of space and simply making up the numbers.

[1]Look, I'm a cynic. I know I'm a cynic, you know I'm a cynic. Still true though. And I'd rather be a cynic than a fool, given that a healthy balance between the two can be difficult to achieve

Advertisement