Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone really abandoning Royston?

Options
  • 10-06-2004 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a notion out there that Royston has really blown it with the story of the "The Da, the taxi, the Herald and the Joe Duffy show" but has he? Do you know anyone who was going to vote for him but who has now changed their mind?

Is anyone really abandoning Royston? 34 votes

Yes. I know people whose votes he has lost
    0% 0 votes
    No. People who support Royston don't care about media fluff
    100% 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

No, but I do know a guy who was in his year in school and says he was a complete imbecile.

So I guess the public persona hasn't changed much then, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

Royston is just the victim of a smear campaign by the Irish Left.

First there was the "Royston Brady was here" thing carved into a 2FM desk, which he denied doing. I mean, even he isn't that stupid to do that in an election campaign and be made to look like a fool.

He simply said his father had been kidnapped before the Dublin-Monaghan bombings. If it's true then what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by arcadegame2004

First there was the "Royston Brady was here" thing carved into a 2FM desk, which he denied doing. I mean, even he isn't that stupid to do that in an election campaign and be made to look like a fool.

He simply said his ftaher had been kidnapped before the Dublin-Monaghan bombings. If it's true then what's the problem?

It was actually a Today Fm desk during the Ian Dempsey breakfast show and it was before his campaign started.

He simply said his father had been kidnapped before the Dublin-Monaghan bombings. If it's true then what's the problem?

Christ on a bike where do I start?

Firstly, if his story is not true, where do we go then?

Secondly, Royston is a victim of his own inate stupidity. He's supposed to be all slick and PR-centric (not that thats a good thing), but every time I hear him speak he sounds like a dribbling fool. He has gaffe written all over him for fecks sake.

Arcade, the last thing the left need to do is smear Royston, he's doing a good enough job of alienating the public himself. I'd have thought his own party colleagues have more to lose if he is successful anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Sure even FF politicians cant defend him!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

But he still denies it. Has anyone seen him do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Admit the name on the desk thing was dumb and doesn't really deserve reporting but don't think its some smear campaign.

But claiming that his father was also a victim of the Dublin bombings in that he was kidnapped and threatened would definetly be used to gain sympathy with Dublin voters.

If its true why is there no record of the incident in the Garda file on the bombings and why are the victims families saying it didn't happen?
    Also if its true why has he ignored the victims support group requests for more information?

At best he's retelling a story his Da told him (which may or may not be true) and for some unexplicable reason isn't prepared to qualify or explain what happened. In which case he's an insensitive moron.

At worst he's using a tradegdy to gain some votes considering he doesn't seem to have an opinion on anything.

But he still denies it. Has anyone seen him do it?

This thought just struck me. Are you Cork in disguise?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think a lot of people will now see him as a Walter Mitty, he'll lose some votes for FF, but I think a lot of people will for for Ryan instead (not that he has much of a better profile). I think you'll still get a bunch of FF grannies voting for the "nice lookin' young lad".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Christ I really wanted to post about this yesterday as I heard the whole thing unfold, fantastic radio I must say.

The mans an idiot, if as has been noted the car had been sued as a Loyalist getaway vehicle then there would be no doubt in anyones mind that what was descipbed by Brady did happen, but even his mother
    did'nt back up the claim.

The whole kidnap at gunpoint thing did happen according to other family members but it could'nt
    confirm it was loyalists.

If the Brady family had been caught up in such an imfamous episode everyone and his dog within the family and friends/acquaintances circle would know exactly what happened, when it happened and who was invloved - you dont forget stuff like that! So the fact his mother and aunt (?) came on air and did not confirm the Loyalist link means he's at best spouting a tall tale told to him, for the worst reasons or he is an outright lier.

Heres the whole programme, worth a listen. Skip section from 25.00 to 40.00 mins (diff topic)
    http://www.rte.ie/rams/radio/latest/Wed/rte-liveline.smil
    This link will expire 16th June .

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OMG I have read it all here. Smear campaign by the Left please keep them coming I need cheering up :)

I despair when I see people of the calibre of Royston Brady running for office. Is this the best we can do in this country. This "person" has evaded explaining what exactly he stands for and the only thing I have seen him talk about has been dismissed by the majority of people who have an understanding into the Dublin bombings as a work of pure fiction.

As for the Today FM "Graffitigate" that would not concern me as much as this person getting elected with nothing more than his vacious "Energy" "Drive" and whatever other slogan he has on his posters getting elected.

From seeing what little I have of this guy and reading commentaries on him I wouldn't trust him to run a corner store let alone be one of our representatives in Brussels (and remember we have less of them now!!!).

Personally no matter who else you vote for even the Chuckies I think you should have your vote removed if you vote this "person" anywhere near the top of your ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Royston Brady has done a great job as Dublin's Lord Mayor.

He has worked hard in this position.

Royston, Bertie & Carmencita Hederman were the most effective Dublin Lord Mayors in recent years.

There is a certain amount of left wing inspired old fashioned begrudgery.

But the Irish electorate are far too intelligent for negative campaigning.

The people of Dublin will effectively decide. The contest will not be decided by cheap smearing,begrudgery or negative campaigning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well Argued.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by Cork
    Royston Brady has done a great job as Dublin's Lord Mayor.

Doing what exactly Cork? Heh care to elaborate? All I remember him doing as Lord Mayor was using the Carraige for his wedding at our expense. Or him lambasting the people that actually make the decisions for Dublin the councillors.

Tell me how has Royston done a great job as the Mayor of Dublin Cork? And you better not spout generalised crap it better be specifics here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

strange story indeed....

theres a bit in the northside people ( the i wanna plug my election so ill give out about grafitti or something ground breaking like that paper )

it's title, your damned if you do damned if you don't...

says he _is_ giving loads of interviews and describes the media interest in him...

BUT in the whole page of writing it only mentions one subject which could be descirbed as "policy", him giving out to mcdowell about not having enough guards on the streets while mayor ages ago which he then had to apologise for

he doens't say anything unique about it, and doesn't refer to it in european context...

so basically theres an article saying _he does_ give interviews and _does have_ policy but still manages to escape mentioning any of them

people arn'#t voting for him there are voting for ff

and then you turn over the page and you see his mug again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I don't understand why people are contiually trying to smear Royston Brady. He's a good and fit looking lad not like some of the pinko candidates (some of them are not even lads).
    It's not fair to say that Royston stands for nothing. He stands for everything Bertie stands for. In fact he reminds me of a young Bertie so he has a glowing future.
    I don't agree with whoever said that if you pinned an FF label on a donkey he'd get elected.

Originally posted by gandalf

Tell me how has Royston done a great job as the Mayor of Dublin Cork? And you better not spout generalised crap it better be specifics here!!!

Lord Majors have no clout but Royston attended my community events and he always represented Dublin well.
    people arn'#t voting for him there are voting for ff

Yes, Dan McLaughlin expects tax receipts to come in €2 billion ahead of the Budget target for this year. The record of the FF/PDs in government has been pretty impressive.

Yet Left wing begrudgery rears its ugly head again. Even Charlie McCreevy has lowered personal taxes they crib about slelth taxes.

The left also crib about health when the PDs and FF have drastically iccreased health spending.

We can all be negative and moan about every thing but our economy is the envy of our EU neighbours.

Talking to a group from Poland yesterday - they would love half our economic success.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

OK so Royston says he's got policies. Can someone tell me (a non-Dublin voter) what they are?

As for both Royston being a "fit looking lad" and the possibility of getting a Fianna Fail donkey elected, I couldn't care less if my local candidates looked like Johnny Depp and were hung like donkeys, I'm only interested in their policies, work ethic and likelihood of getting those policies enacted. The possibility of them scoring in Lillies on a Saturday night doesn't play a big part in my decision about my vote because I'm not an idiot.

Originally posted by joolsveer
    I don't understand why people are contiually trying to smear Royston Brady. He's a good and fit looking lad not like some of the pinko candidates (some of them are not even lads). It's not fair to say that Royston stands for nothing. He stands for everything Bertie stands for. In fact he reminds me of a young Bertie so he has a glowing future. I don't agree with whoever said that if you pinned an FF label on a donkey he'd get elected.
    Hang Bertie is **the** fence sitter with no perceptible policies other than being re-elected, isn't he?

BTW, you didn't mention any of his policies.
    Lord Majors have no clout but Royston attended my community events and he always represented Dublin well.
    But you aren't from Dublin, are you?

See, this is more of It. Royston is a member of FF. Check out www.fiannafail.ie for policies.

FF have always been pro EU and campaigned in favour of the various treatys.

SF's atitude towards the EU is akin to that of the UK Conversative Party.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Victor
    Hang Bertie is **the** fence sitter with no perceptible policies other than being re-elected, isn't he?

BTW, you didn't mention any of his policies.

Again Check out www.fiannafail.ie for policies

This government is the most successful since the foundation of this state. Look at government spending and employment levels.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2004/0609/economy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Royston is just the victim of a smear campaign by the Irish Left [...]
    Royston doesn't need help with anyone on the smearing. He's doing quite well all by himself. He did not 'simply say' that his father had been kidnapped before the bombings. He said that his father was kidnapped by the bombers AND that his father's taxi was used as a getaway car. He said once last November, and he was approached by families of the victims of the bombing in person & in writing to back up his claims. He ignored them, and then went on to repeat his false allegations in an interview with Joe Jackson 3 weeks ago. He also ignored a written request from the State enquiry into the bombings for further information.

He's a beaut - All style, no substance - and incredibly dumb in thinking he could get away with this crap unchallenged.

See, this is more of It. Royston is a member of FF. Check out www.fiannafail.ie for policies.
    Oh come on, just click on any Royston speech there.
    Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/fiannafail.ie/httpdocs/new/site/includes/article.php4 on line 24

Likewise, nothing on http://www.rbrady.ie/ or www.fiannafail.ie/new/site/person.php4?show=Euro Candidate&pid=176&bid=313 (boy do they make it difficult to link to individual pages on the site)

Now there is a manifesto here (large PDF file), but the is nothing from Toy-Roy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hmmm, that's odd. That map makes no sense whatever in this dimension of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

I notice a hell of a lot of the Royston posters have been replace with generic Fianna Fail posters (around Clontarf, anyway)..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Royston is the most elusive candidate out there. I have yet to hear him being interviewed, and in fact even the media are saying this.

He has a poster campaign paralled by none and he is using it alone to surf to victory. He's a bloody FF poster boy and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Good name though. Royston.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Its funny...

every single poster who has defended Brady has done so without being able to give specifics about why he is a good candidate for the job in question. Not one single quality that is relevant to the job - that I can see - has been mentioned.

Yes, I'm sure he's attended lots of community events Cork, but - to be quite honest - so ****ing what? What has that to do with his ability to get anything done in politics, to make change, and to be responsible and (in an ideal world) inspirational or a force for change?

I'll tell you what - absolutely nothing.

But no...rather than extoll his qualities, all we hear is that the knocking of him is because of those damned lefties and their smear campaigns and begrudgery.

Step up to the plate, anyone who thinks that, and defend the man for what he's worth, rather than trying to deflect criticism by not addressing the points that are being criticised. Argue that the man has worth. If you can't do that, then accept that its not left-wing begrudgery, but rather right-wing false promotion which is causing this difference of opinion.

The criticisers are not short of reasons to be critical. Those who praise Mr. Brady seem to do so on the vaguest grounds possible - that he's worth something because the lefties are just irrationally knocking him.

Look at who's points have content and make up your own mind.

Me - I know nothing about the guy, and while I mightn't swallow all of the criticism, I've seen nothing on this thread about why he's worth a vote other than that he's a nice looking bloke who attends local events. I know a couple of gigolo's you'd all be inteterested in voting for if thats your criteria.

jc

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jd
    I notice a hell of a lot of the Royston posters have been replace with generic Fianna Fail posters (around Clontarf, anyway)..
    A lot of areas are running two separate campaigns - one for FF and one for the candidates (with a really tiny FF logo in the corner).

Advertisement