Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone really abandoning Royston?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cork
    Is it an anti-FF thing?
    Anti-plonker thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Is it an anti-FF thing?

No Cork, its your ordinary common or garden left-wing conspiracy...

Nobody expects Royston to be held to a higher standard, they'd simply like him to be held to any standard at all. When is it going to sink home with you that some people are able to judge the character and calibre of FF candidates without resorting to anti-FF rhetoric?

Why do Ivana Bacik or Mary Lou MacDonald need to have experience of holding office? By that reasoning, no new candidates would ever be elected in this country.

Ivana Bacik has shown herself to be articulate and knowledgable, particularly in relation to European issues. Your chum Royston has shown himself to be an incoherent thug. Its a simple choice to make, some day that'll sink home with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Why has Mary Lous achievements not got the same level of scrutiny?

SF has campaigned aganist many EU treatys - But was their atitude towards the EU not even an issue?

Royston Brady's account regarding the Dublin bombs was around since last November.

Dispite FFs achievements with regards to the economy - there is indeed a an anti government bias in the media.

This has been pointed out by John Waters on many ocasions.

Bertie, himself could not put in massive amounts of time canvassing. He needed to invest his time with the EU Presidentcy.

Putting National interests above party interests was needed.

But mid term elections are mostly an opportunity for people to vent anger.

Judging by the number of times Waters has pointed out that Knockroe is the posh side of Castlerea it doesn't take much for him to think of a conspiracy:D

It's odd really, FF are convinced that RTE is being run by a crowd of trots, the radical left-wingers think RTE is being run by FF and then there are the sane people among us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Why has Mary Lous achievements not got the same level of scrutiny?

SF has campaigned aganist many EU treatys - But was their atitude towards the EU not even an issue?

Campaigning against EU treaties does not make one anti-EU. Would you describe Patricia MacKenna (one of our most effective MEPs as anti-EU? I voted no to Nice, but am entirely happy with our membership of the union. I am allowed express an opinion on the development of the union, amn't I Cork? That hasn't been made an offence just yet...
    there is indeed a an anti government bias in the media.

Well, it must be true if John Waters said so...:rolleyes:

Will you ever leave the auld conspiracy theories alone for one minute Cork and face facts. Maybe your government deserves the srutiny it gets as a result of its various bungled attemts at enacting public policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Cork a couple of things here. Firstly this thread is about Royston and the questions have been asked about him. He courted the media and tried his best to raise his profile without ever trying to express his opinions in public. Infact I do not remember hearing about him being out and about canvassing at all, whereas I met Eoin Ryan canvassing. The man had no substance to him at all. Say what you will about Ivana Bacik and Mary Lou at least they both put themselves up for public scrutiny.

Anyway I couldn't resist doing this bit of photoshopping :)

giveusajob.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Boardsers tell the truth.
    When I posted the poll I genuinely wondered whether the recent revelations about Cllr Brady were hurting his chances 2 days before the vote?
    Just before the count started on Saturday morning the responses in the poll here were running 2 to 1 confirming he was loosing support.
    As it turns out in the tallies his support dropped from 17% in the polls a week ago to 8.5% in the actual election.

You were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

to be honest Royston comes across as a dumbass! anyone who would vote for him is another dumbass! he has nothing new to say and is a moron! Thank goodness the public were able to see through him!

angeleyes!

I went for a few pints about two weeks ago with a few people, one of whom until recently had a daytime slot on Newstalk which would have involved zipping around Dublin and talking to a lot of people about pretty much anything, probably before angling for a free lunch. Given that I'm not Dublin-based and he is I asked him about Royston's chances in the auld election. His theory at the time (before Royston started shedding support like an unwanted skin) was that Royston had far smaller support than the polls indicated and that there were quite a few people who were just trying to think of a name to get rid of pollsters and went for the most obvious one ("er, that Royston bloke, yeah"). Now I can't decide whether Brady actually lost support or never actually had it to begin with.

Comment of the day goes to Rabbitte after telling our invisible e-Minister that not only did he not think Brady was the kind of person we should send to Europe but that he wouldn't send Royston to the well for water. Worth skipping Goodfellas to hear that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by sceptre
    Comment of the day goes to Rabbitte after telling our invisible e-Minister that not only did he not think Brady was the kind of person we should send to Europe but that he wouldn't send Royston to the well for water. Worth skipping Goodfellas to hear that.
    Jeeze- talking about kicking a man when he is down. I'm beginning to feel sorry for him.

Originally posted by jd
    Jeeze- talking about kicking a man when he is down. I'm beginning to feel sorry for him.
    Naw, if you missed it, Rabbitte was making comments in general and made a remark in passing that FF had failed in Dublin due to the calibre of the FF Dublin candidates. Hanafin pressed him on it and Rabbitte said he thought Ryan was a fine candidate with a lot of experience. Hanafin asked him why he was insulting Royston, Rabbitte said he wasn't. Mare wouldn't let it go and insisted that Rabbitte had a problem with Royston. Then Rabbitte said what he said. Rabbitte is good (and entertaining) with the auld scolding remarks but whether people agree with his politics or not, most people wouldn't regard him as prone to meanness. Hanafin isn't a heavy player and went away with a fly in her ear. Her own fault, she disobeyed the two golden rules of telly politics - never start a fight you aren't prepared to finish and if you're building your point on sand, STFU as soon as you can.

She'd have been far better off replying with something along the lines that Ryan was going to make a fine MEP and that Royston had built up a good bit of core support and he'd be back (regardless of whether true or not). Brady didn't look any more silly but she was obviously out of her depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Ah ok- missed it. IIRC, very few , besides R, were willing to be the 2nd candidate for FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by sceptre
    Naw, if you missed it, Rabbitte was making comments in general and made a remark in passing that FF had failed in Dublin due to the calibre of the FF Dublin candidates. Hanafin pressed him on it and Rabbitte said he thought Ryan was a fine candidate with a lot of experience. Hanafin asked him why he was insulting Royston, Rabbitte said he wasn't. Mare wouldn't let it go and insisted that Rabbitte had a problem with Royston. Then Rabbitte said what he said. Rabbitte is good (and entertaining) with the auld scolding remarks but whether people agree with his politics or not, most people wouldn't regard him as prone to meanness. Hanafin isn't a heavy player and went away with a fly in her ear. Her own fault, she disobeyed the two golden rules of telly politics - never start a fight you aren't prepared to finish and if you're building your point on sand, STFU as soon as you can.

She'd have been far better off replying with something along the lines that Ryan was going to make a fine MEP and that Royston had built up a good bit of core support and he'd be back (regardless of whether true or not). Brady didn't look any more silly but she was obviously out of her depth.

Actually Rabbite's original comment was that the Bertie brigade had weighed in behind the relative newcomer Brady, rather than someone with the Dail track record and calibre of Ryan. Hanafin leapt on this and turned it round to ask Rabbitte why he was questioning Brady's calibre. Which he wasn't. But he subsequently obliged with the "wouldn't send him to the well for water" comment.

A fracas ensued and a senior FF ego was slightly injured in the scuffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Now in the fullness of time, we can answer the original question with a resounding Yes!

In light of last week's Liveline revelations, the Royston posters with the word 'Drive' take on a new meaning and are fast becoming collector's items.

Grab one while you can!

Originally posted by pete
    Actually Rabbite's original comment was that the Bertie brigade had weighed in behind the relative newcomer Brady, rather than someone with the Dail track record and calibre of Ryan. Hanafin leapt on this and turned it round to ask Rabbitte why he was questioning Brady's calibre. Which he wasn't. But he subsequently obliged with the "wouldn't send him to the well for water" comment.

A fracas ensued and a senior FF ego was slightly injured in the scuffle.
    My reply went kaput when the database went corrupt but as I said then, thanks for the correction/clarification/better early description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

was listening to 106 on sunday night... they were playing roysten's answering machine message at _every_ ad break....

"hi you've reached roysten brady, im sorry im not in right now but ...."

roysten keane what a great football player he is :P~

Advertisement