Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel File Size Limit

Options
  • 10-06-2004 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there is a size limit on an excel file. A colleague has managed to build and excel file up to 164mb and now it won't allow him to open it anymore. Can't say i'm suprised really, but does anyone have any ideas?? Error that pops up says something about not enough available resources to open the file. It is a pretty beefy PC he has and it has 1gb of ram so i doubt it's the PC....???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Check temp dir maybe an older version of it in there before it went to high size.

The memory thing is a Excel thing maybe a patch for it it only uses a certain amount of memory ,tru regedit may be able to increase it.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

They actually have an older version that can open. Problem is I know that it's going to get big again, so i just need to know how big microsoft are willing to let us go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

OpenOffice seems remarkably good at opening buggered up excel files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 anykaxopom

If I were you I would split this file into more manageable pieces. Even if you get Excel to open your mammoth of a file, it is not healthy.

Did you think of saving the data as a text file? Or do you need to access any of the data at any time?

It need to be all in one file unfortunately. It's for running a report on a weekly basis and each week a few hundred lines are added... That the problem! I've tried OpenOffice, but it's not had any luck either. My need to call Bill on this one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

It sounds like this is more like a DB file than an 'spreadsheet'

Have you considered using Access (or SQL Server)?

Have definitely thought about it, it's just finiding the time to implement it properly. There are about 15 worksheets with thousands of lines in each, so it would be a job and a half making sure it all transferred over properly to access or sql. If i could find out what MS view on whats a max size for an excel file was then i could get some closure on this and tell the user that he just needs to reduce the amount of data in it. Need hard facts though, you know how it is!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I've mailed a contact in the Excel team, so I'm waiting for a reply on the max file size.

I'll keep u posted! :)

Nice one, thanks mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Pulled this from Excel 2000 info:
    Open workbooks Limited by available memory and system resources
    Worksheet size 65,536 rows by 256 columns
    Column width 255 characters
    Row height 409 points
    Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.
    Sheets in a workbook Limited by available memory (default is 3 sheets)
    Colors in a workbook 56
    Cell styles in a workbook 4,000
    Named views in a workbook Limited by available memory
    Custom number formats Limited by available memory
    Names in a workbook Limited by available memory
    Windows in a workbook Limited only by system resources
    Panes in a window 4
    Linked sheets Limited by available memory
    Scenarios Limited by available memory; a summary report shows only the first 251 scenarios
    Changing cells in a scenario 32
    Adjustable cells in Solver 200
    Custom functions Limited by available memory
    Zoom range 10 percent to 400 percent
    Reports Limited by available memory
    Sort references 3 in a single sort; unlimited when using sequential sorts
    Undo levels 16
    Fields in a data form 32
    Custom toolbars in a workbook Limited by available memory
    Custom toolbar buttons Limited by available memory

Return to top

Calculation specifications
    Feature Maximum limit
    Number precision 15 digits
    Largest allowed positive number 9.99999999999999E307
    Smallest allowed negative number -9.99999999999999E307
    Smallest allowed positive number 1E-307
    Largest allowed negative number -1E-307
    Length of formula contents 1,024 characters
    Iterations 32,767
    Worksheet arrays Limited by available memory. Also, arrays cannot refer to entire columns. For example, an array cannot refer to the entire column C:C or to the range C1:C65536. However, an array can refer to the range C1:D65535 because the range is one row short of the maximum worksheet size and does not include the entire C or D column.
    Selected ranges 2,048
    Arguments in a function 30
    Nested levels of functions 7
    Number of available worksheet functions 329
    Earliest date allowed for calculation January 1, 1900 (January 1, 1904, if 1904 date system is used)
    Latest date allowed for calculation December 31, 9999
    Largest amount of time that can be entered 9999:99:99

Return to top

PivotTable report specifications
    Feature Maximum limit
    PivotTable reports on a sheet Limited by available memory
    Items in a PivotTable report 8,000
    Row or column fields in a PivotTable report Limited by available memory
    Page fields in a PivotTable report 256 (may be limited by available memory)
    Data fields in a PivotTable report 256
    Calculated item formulas in a PivotTable report Limited by available memory

Because the number of sheets allowed is limited by available memory, the workbook size appears to be theoretically unlimited. Which isn't what you wanted to hear. Colm may come back with a different answer (and seeing as he's going to be asking someone who knows, his aswer is automatically better:))

However this 164MB Excel file with worksheets probably coming out of its rear is plain nuts. Every time you hit 65000 rows you'll be adding a new worksheet. Excel's turned into a pretty damn good app (especially since that disc changing thing was solved after Excel 4, it bugged the hell out of me at the time) but it was never designed to do what your boss is using it to do. Even dumping it into Access as a flat database for a start wouldn't be too bad of a job and I think you'd be foolhardy not to.

• Advertisement

Wow, good stuff sceptre, thanks. It's just gotten out of hand. From your list i can see several limitations that probably have been exceeded by the file. Will need to go check it out now. Thanks.

Advertisement