Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jol In, Hougton Out?

• 10-06-2004 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Spurs are denying the fact that Chris Hughton is set to be sacked after the appointment of Martin Jol as First Team Assistant.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR have appointed Martin Jol as Jacques Santini's assistant manager.

Jol will take up his new position at White Hart Lane after the European Championships in Portugal.

He speaks three languages fluently (Dutch, German and English) in addition to some French and will be vital to Santini as the new Head Coach learns the English language.

Following his appointment Martin Jol told the official Spurs site: "I am extremely happy to be joining Tottenham Hotspur. I know the Club well from my time in England as a player.

"I enjoyed my time at RKC but I wanted a new and exciting challenge. Joining such a great club as Tottenham Hotspur is the right opportunity for me.

"I regard Jacques Santini as one of the best coaches in Europe and am very excited at the prospect of working with him, Frank Arnesen and all the good players that we have at the Club."

great news, although i feel sorry for hughton i believe that anybody connected with the last dismal decade must move away. all we need are some players

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

And they will come sikes, they will come.

I'm encouraged by Santini mentioning he thinks the midfield needs strengthening, as it has been our real weak link for the last decade.

Sort out the ineffective midfield four and the defence won't look half as shaky.

Oh, and Rebrov has said he wants to impress in his last year at the club...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/3790583.stm

Don't know how that will work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i am away at the moment so its real difficult trying to keep up with the news!!

Heard about rebrov and the fact that satini noted the midfield means he is not blind to the bleedin obvious!!!

come on davids, diego and reid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hopefully houghton go full time with ireland not a bad thing.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Houghton is highly qualified as a coach and has all his badges. It would make sense for the new staff to wait and see how they get on with him before making any decision about his future. I'd say he'll stay there as a coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

I think Jol's move is a good one. I feel he will be groomed to take over from Santini as well - warning: major assumption of more successful times. He was voted best Dutch first team coach one or maybe twice in the last 3 years.

As for Chrissy, he is Spurs through and through even back to the old days when he was scoring against Arse*** when we beat them 5-0. But .... has suffered under 5 different ineffective regimes and is now getting tainted with the decline. As a defence we could not defend corners last year. He cannot be entirely blameless.

I expect that he would be offered his old job of Reserve team coach but this is a demotion and I'm unsure how he would react. Would like him to stay on but Ireland would also benefit from him being full-time here.

Jolly, happy Jol has arrived

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jolly
    I think Jol's move is a good one. I feel he will be groomed to take over from Santini as well - warning: major assumption of more successful times. He was voted best Dutch first team coach one or maybe twice in the last 3 years.

Journo's coach of the season 2001.

Players and coaches coach of the season 2002.

Took his previous team from threat of relegation to challenge for Euopean qualification. Sound familiar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Took his previous team from threat of relegation to challenge for Euopean qualification. Sound familiar?

Now this guy is just custom made for us and God how we would love if he, Santini and Frank Arnesen do the job

We are on the up finally after all these years :)

Jolly

PS Are you heading over to the Celtic game ? Any other board members heading ?

No trips to the UK for me for a while unfortunately, money is currently being channelled elsewhere.

Must organise a trip to WHL this coming season though, I work with a few Spurs fans so we've been talking about it a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Anyone think that Spurs are finally getting themselves sorted out?? think this is a great move for the club!! Hughton will prob move back to his role as a coach!

One good thing at this stage is that they have got rid of Pleat!! he is the biggest f**kin spanner I have ever seen! killed my beloved Shef Wed and was doing the same over the last few years to Spurs! he should never be let near a football club let alone a football for the rest of his life!!

Advertisement