Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor TAX

Options
  • 10-06-2004 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I was involved in road traffic accident the other day and it turns out that my car is a write off!

It's work 6k but it will take 5.5k to fix and the story is that I will be getting 1.5k scrap for it + insurance claim for 4.5K (if the other party does as he says he would at the time of the crash and admit liability – have third party, but I don’t wont to claim against mine until I know where I stand).

Question what happens to the TAX I paid for 12 months just a month ago where does this go, can it be transferred?

Its only a 1.4, but it would be cool if I could transfer it to what ever car I buy...

This whole thing is an almighty **** up and I am naively looking for just one little nice thing to come out of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think you should be able to get a refund on this. Give the motor tax office on Chancery Street a call.

www.dublincity.ie/disability/06motortaxation.htm [/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As best I know, in this type of situation you can get a refund of any unused whole months - if there was 10 months, 21 days left, you would be entitled to 10 months - the 21 days have to be claimed of the other guy's insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Are you guys sure you get a refund. I was always under the impression that it was tough sh%t. I would say they make it difficult to get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Like Kersh I was under the impression that you could not reclaim any motor tax - or transfer ithe disc for that matter. I'd be happpy to be wrong though if someone can back up their stance - unlike me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Like Victor said, but only if you can prove the car is actually scrapped (there is a form for this). If you get €1500 scrap value, the car is likely to be fixed and used again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

It sounds grossly unjust if you can't get a refund, especially considering the exorbitant tax rates on larger engines over there.

I know it's no help to your situation, but in the U.K. you can get a refund any time by just sending in the tax disc and the appropriate form (with an "off-road" declaration as well now).

It might take 6 to 8 weeks, but you will get a refund for all unused months. I think they take it from the postmark on the envelope, so if you mailed the disc and it got, say, a May 31 postmark but the office didn't receive it until June 4, you would still get a refund from the beginning of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

You *can* get a refund for unused months if the vehicle is scrapped and incapable of being used on a public road again (either by you or anyone else). However, it has to be certified by a scrap yard or, if that's not applicable, I think somebody from the Council will come out to check it. Also, you'll only get the remaning months (starting the month after you send it in) and there must be a minimum of 3 unused months left.

There are a few other circumstances where you can get a refund (like if the vehicle is permanently removed from the State).

Your local M.T.O. should be able to give you full details.

Regards,
    Tommy.

But suppose you had 6 months remaining on your tax and decided to take the car off the road for whatever reason (another vehicle in use, or you were leaving Ireland for a 6-month visit to Canada or something). Are you saying that you can't get a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by PBC_1966
    Are you saying that you can't get a refund?

Nope, no refund :(

Unfair and also inconsistent with the policy to give people discount for paying tax for the year upfront (or penalise people for paying per 3 / 6 months)

Hmm. Sounds like another point in favor of driving a vintage car. At least if you decide to take it off the road after just renewing the tax you're only out a few bucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

I can;t find the link at the moment but I definitely read on a govt site that as long as you have more than 3 months remaining you can claim it by sending in the disc with the appropriate signed form.

I found this reference, which seems to indicate that refunds will only be considered under specific circumstances:
    REFUNDS OF MOTOR TAX

IMPORTANT:Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered.

Applications for refunds of motor tax can be made to you local motor tax office, on form RF120, in circumstances when,

* The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the state,

* The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,

* A vehicle in respect of which a tax disc has been taken out has not been used in a public place at any time since the issue of the disc,

* The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injuiry or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,

* The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,

* The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.

http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/wvNavView/Motor%20Tax?OpenDocument&Lang=en

Advertisement