Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint......??

Options
  • 10-06-2004 8:36pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but I'm quite a noob when it comes to modding and tweaking.

Is there a way for me to paint my PC (more importantly my monitor). I know with the tower I can get a new case, so thats not a huge deal, but I'd rather not fork out for a whole new monitor (or a new case, for that matter, unless I have to).
    I'm sure that using regular paint would cause some pretty dangerous explosions and so on, but is there a type of paint that is made for this kind of thing?

Obviously I know that no matter what kind of paint it is, its a bad Idea to just slap it on, and taking the casing off first so the insides dont get ruined would be a good idea....

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

whatever paint you get test it on the bottom of the base incase it melts the plastic. car paint in an aerosol should be fine but test it first just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fakesnake

hi dont use paint try vinyl dye. it is the best for plastic parts as it dont chip or scratch and is easy to apply try here for help. .http://www.gideontech.com/guides/vinyldye/
    if you do paint or dye your monitor dont take the case off as the stored voltage inside will fry you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Monitors carry enough of a charge to kill you dont take case off :)

Just be real careful painting or get a woman to do they better at it.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Which would be better for metal cases? I have a Shuttle case so it's kind of brushed steel (cant remember exact material). I've thought of casewraps but I'd like to look into painting also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Originally posted by fakesnake
    hi dont use paint try vinyl dye. it is the best for plastic parts as it dont chip or scratch and is easy to apply try here for help. .http://www.gideontech.com/guides/vinyldye/
    if you do paint or dye your monitor dont take the case off as the stored voltage inside will fry you.

Thanks for the link and that....
    about the spraying the monitor, obviously you can tape up the screen or cover it somehow, but what about the vents at the back, if i spray paint around that, wont it fúck in the innards?

I wouldn't mind knowing whats best for steel too like Enlil, the tower is steel.

thanks again,

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

can a monitor kill you even when its un-plugged? like does it remain charged when not connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by weemcd
    can a monitor kill you even when its un-plugged? like does it remain charged when not connected?
    It keeps a charge for a while it takes time for it to fully discharge - I don't know exactly but it's more then a couple of minutes!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Hmmm, i got bored and took the back of my monitor last week, was going to paint it, but it looks far to delicate in thier to take that **** apart. Decided i coundn't be arse anyway, wanna get a TFT anyway.

Anyway: i forgot, i got some normal matt black spary paint for €4.50 in a car shop, and its briallant, really easy to use and it has a good finish. Was very impressed.
    I'll have to check later what paint it was exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

As long as you're careful it's not really dangerous, no. Done it before and as long as you do an even coating (with the spraypaint) it can look really good.

Enlil_Nick, for painting that it's probably best to sand off the top layer slightly (I did anyway), get some primer, paints and top clear layer (more durable).

If you want a really glossy/shiny finish you'll have to sand each layer of paint a bit (preferably wet sanding), and let it dry before applying the next layer (and let that dry before sanding).
    Some good info/guides on places like

http://www.pimprig.com
    http://www.virtual-hideout.net

For PC cases the best paint you can get is in places like Motorway (and other car stores). They generally have metallic paints aswell that can look really nice when done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Theres a motor factors in tallaght(near powercity) they can mix up any colour car paint... All u need is the code. Thats what i'm doing. Preperation is the key.. As koneko said sand n prime, make sure u get a metal primer for the metal n plastic primer for plastic otherwise the paint will just peel from the plastic... Lots of light coats and a good laquer will give u the best finish... Take ur time, it'll be well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

there is a primer u can just wipe on called ESP(can get it in most DIY stores),it can be used on and for everything to give the on coming coat of paint a good key....takes no time in drying too.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fakesnake

Originally posted by weemcd
    yes it can it holds up to 27,000v at 30amps for up to 3 days! i have read somewhere,
    so take care.

Advertisement