Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second maths paper

Options
  • 10-06-2004 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

But do you think because that Maths paper 1 was so easy, there gonna hit us with a bitc.h of a second paper? full of horrible proofs and really confusing trig?? i feel a toughie coming up on Monday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

I'd think that's the plan. Seems like that's what normally happens. Have a look at 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

But there was uproar about last year. Surely they'll be erring on the side of easiness this year no? God I hope so. Anyway, a B1 should be enough for my A1 overall, thanks to that damn sexy paper 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I hope they go easy with the circle since they messed it up last year.
    Vectors is usually easy, there isn't much to ask at all.
    The line... hmm, transformations yes can't remember much about it actually
    The only thing that gets me down with trig is those arkward messy show that sin(4346x) = 2costansinfeck(xy23)/sec^5x style questions.

Probably/statistics not now, thanks

Option easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I just hope the ordinary paper is as ridiculously easy as the first!!! God I LOVE ordinary!!

Should be an interesting paper. Need to spend a few hours at it this weekend though. Last year there was an internal SEC review of the maths paper 2 - ordered by the minister for education. So yeah, they might go a little easier. Just like they might put Dickinson on the english paper because Plath was up last year. Oh, wait...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I didn;t find the maths paper particularly hard overall last year, admittedly there were a few tricky parts, but nothing that would make you lose out on an A. And all i need is a B1-B2 in paper 2 to get my A (i'm 99% sure i got full marks on paper1).

What proofs can come up, and whats expected.

From the top of my head:

perpendicular distance
    cos(a+b) and all its varients
    sine rule
    cos rule
    vector centroid thing although its not exactly a proof

I've calculated that I got 92% minimum and 98% max on paper one so I should be alright with a b1 on paper 2. My first four CAO choices need B1...

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    I've calculated that I got 92% minimum and 98% max on paper one so I should be alright with a b1 on paper 2. My first four CAO choices need B1...

What courses need B1s in maths? I thought the norm was just HC3 for any maths/science related courses?

he might be doing "maths" in trinity :p

Maths TCD needs it, same with Theoretical Physics,

• Advertisement

Anyone else doing maths in college?

Ummmmm.... I might be doing Financial Maths, should be basically the same in first year as a normal (probably cut down) maths course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭The Shol'va

Switch to theoretical physics, then you could be there with the legendary Floyd! :P

Floyd being?

You don't know "Floyd (the bullet) Jackson". DEAR GOD, IT CANNOT BE!

follow "The Shol'va"'s clicky linky in his quote thingy at the bottem of the post, and download the gerbil. Then all shall be reveiled.

Sorry, this has nothing on the picard song

Sorry, this has nothing on the picard song

?

Whats that?

Hmmmm. As exciting as a 40+MB download on a 28kbps connection seems... I think I'll pass.

Two guys in silver suits dancing in their bedroom to the picard song. Also the killdozer beats this by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

Anyone else doing maths in college?
    i'd rather pick off my own fingernails with a rusty nail then paint them wth saltwater.

christ seeing as they didn't ask like nuttin theorem and the like wise they'll surely shaft us good.
    i'd say i got about 50-60% on the first paper. sucky as i am.

but if ye good maths people have inklings or intuition about what theorems i should learn, do post them here, i might go all out and get a C.

bitch wouldn't let me do pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

Your teacher wouldn't let you do pass? It's your decision, surely.

Purple has already paper one done, so its too late. Anyway its an honor to do higher level maths, best subject next to physics imho

I love Maths, but I've had a terrible teacher since first year. I'm not blaming it entirely on him (my complete and utter lack of study may have something to do with it too) but I could do much better than I know I will do. If that makes sense. Although Paper I went quite well, and I like Paper II, so who knows? Maybe I will do well.

All i need is to get 70%+ in this paper to scrape an A. 80%+ to get my A1.... and i think i'm screwed :(

Having problems with circle and with vectors (sometimes it just don't work out), and i cant do that line translating thingy (Q3).

Question 4 and 5 should be grand, but on Q6 and Q7 i sometimes have problems. I'm never sure when i have to take the difference combinations into account (i.e. AB is different to BA, so i have to count them both as combinations).

So, its looking dodgy.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    All i need is to get 70%+ in this paper to scrape an A. 80%+ to get my A1.... and i think i'm screwed :(

Having problems with circle and with vectors (sometimes it just don't work out), and i cant do that line translating thingy (Q3).

Question 4 and 5 should be grand, but on Q6 and Q7 i sometimes have problems. I'm never sure when i have to take the difference combinations into account (i.e. AB is different to BA, so i have to count them both as combinations).

So, its looking dodgy.

The best thing you can do is practice exam papers, I think. Although it can be really frustrating when you can't work something out. Which is why I came online two hours ago to check e-xamit.ie, and ended up in message boards instead! The Circle, Vectors, The Line & Transformation Geometry, Trig, and Probability Q1 should be fine if I revise tonight, but I'm not so sure about Further Calculus. I really don't get integration by parts. Right. I'm going to get off the computer and do some study... good luck tomorrow!

back to the papers i presume :( work to be done, i need that 80%+!!

MMmmmm... i like kudos :)

Good luck, and thanks for the confidance boost :p Feckin study...

Originally posted by Cathy
    I really don't get integration by parts.

Using the "L i a e t" rule you can't go wrong

I thought it was LIATE? Oh god.

it is L I A T E.

Log, inverse trig, arithmetic, trig, exponential.

He made a typo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

It's 'L33T' or '1337' ye n00bs.

Advertisement