Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Bray

• 10-06-2004 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

is there anyone knows when the irish broadband bray exchange will go live ?and can i order now?because their work time is the same as my,so can\t talk to them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they said round the end of june and the highsite is the east coast radio mast in windgates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mouse_busy

so iam at the swan broke southren cross,will i be able to get it?and my friend is at the dartstation,will he get it as well?thanks:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

if you have a line of sight, then more than likely yes, providing you arent more than about 5km away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

You are both within range mileage wise but I don't know if either have line of sight. If you were to go to the end of southern cross, round the roundabout and up the hill past the golf club, the antenna mast is at the top of the hill on the left. You can't miss it. If you can see it from your house, you have an excellent chance of getting it.
    Did you try for DSL at the Southern Cross? I expect it is too far but wasn't sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭CONMIKE12

I have IBB's breeze Home 20:1 contended product.I have been a customer of theirs for 7 months running off the siac tower in clondalkin.The best d load speeds I have gotten have been in the region of 250/300 kbps.These occasions were very rare with the norm usually being between 40 and 200kbps.For the last month it has been between 20 and 100 kbps.As you can see ,it is not broasdband at all. I have been on the phone to these charlatans every week since I got it and they have tried every excuse in the world to fob me off.Just now,one of their tech guys told me that i was indeed recieving a brutal service and it was unlikely to change.I will be looking for a refund from Ibb and stopping my direct debit very shortly.Stay away from them...they promise you the world before you sign up,then simply ignore your complaints from then on .This is true of the higher management also.Very bad company,very bad tech support...simply not interested in improving things for their residential customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mouse_busy

tha't terrible!!!!!!well,is that only you got bad speed?or everyone using IBB?

No, not just me.I have seen other users of Ibb on here complaining about their services.A couple who are off the siac tower in clondalkin.Even someone who had their 8:1 contented package.Mutant fruit,who posts here regularly,is about the only one who is happy with thier product,and he had awfull probs untill they upgraded him to the business equiptment.I asked about having this done,and was told ,no way!! When I rang and spoke to one of their top guys last week,his solution was to disconnect me(lol)...what an excellent company they are!! I was talking to one of their techs today,and he admitted my speeds were awfull and that if he was me he would cut all ties with this company. Whoever is in charge has no idea how to run a company or deal with customers who have a genuine complaint. There is a culture of trying to blind you with science,and if you know what you're talking about ,they will say they will sort it out,and then ignore your calls and e mails. In seven months of constant troubles,I have only been rang back once. I was also told on numerous occasions,that because the product is contended at 20:1,that I should be happy with d load speeds of 100kbps!!! what a joke. Steer clear,they are useless.:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you are unhappy with ur service and it is not working out for you is disconnection not the obvious solution?
    And if you have a bad signal and there is little they can do resolve it should you not just stop moaning about it and actually go do something about it?

and tbh I seriously doubht a member of their staff said
    and he admitted my speeds were awfull and that if he was me he would cut all ties with this company

but thats just me

and tbh I seriously doubht a member of their staff said

Moonbeam,
    I have no reason to lie.While these were not his exact words, that was the gist of what he said to me. I am merely relaying my experiences with IBB to someone who is thinking of signing up with them.I read these boards nearly everyday and have gotten some excellent tips and advice from other people who have more experience/knowledge than me in many different areas. I was just trying to repay the favour to mouse_busy.

should you not just stop moaning about it and actually go do something about it?

If you consider warning another member of boards about a potential bad experience moaning,then yes,i'm guilty.I hope someone would do the same for me in similar circumstamces.As I said in the earlier post,what i will be doing about it, is cancelling my direct debit before they take out the next payment. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Maybe he did say that, I remember I was working in Dell and based on the customers complaints I would complain about the company aswell with them. Haha, and at christmas time when people would ring up looking for a computer for their Kids, I would ask if they believe in Santa, if they said yes I would tell them that they may have to tell them he isn't real because of bad delivery records. Honesty, it's the best policy.

• Advertisement

LOL.... a bit extreme,but i agree that honesty is the best policy.Bad news is preferred over bulls**t.The most irritating thing is to be blatantly lied to.

Fine, he came out and told you there was nothing that could be done to improve your connection (short of putting a broadcasting antenne on your house and making your house the next high site!).

Whats so bad about being told the truth. If you arent happy, then disconnect. I know i've only had about 5 mins downtime with IBB over the last 5.5 months now, and always full speeds, and great pings.

Whats so bad about being told the truth. If you arent happy, then disconnect

........ LOL ..For the 3rd time!!!! I AM disconnecting,and it took seven months before I was finally told the truth.Before that I was told that I should be content with the awfull speeds because of the contention ratio. They were also very fond of saying that 40kbps (eg.) was well above the minimum connection speed they were required to provide me in the contract. Fair enough,but a company who only aspires to provide their customers with the bare minimum of service needs to look carefully at their customer care policies.

I know i've only had about 5 mins downtime with IBB over the last 5.5 months now, and always full speeds, and great pings.

You were lucky enough to be upgraded to the business equiptment.I have actually been following your posts about Ibb on here for awhile and tried asking about it myself,but was told that it wasn't an option for me.My experience with this company has been terrible,and that is ALL I am relating here.Now that there are FINALLY other options open to me I will be going elsewhere for my BB.

I was talking to my friends brother who is a salesman for IBB. It sounds pretty cool, especially for those without a phone line in their house. Like two of my friends who want it for online poker I must tell him about these complaints and see what he says. He said in 6 weeks time (when construction is complete and it's LIVE) he would give us a free trial. He also said, if we want to change from UTV, that they will pay the disconnection price. If I find out more, I'll post it.

The existing problems aren't caused by internal bandwidth problems in IBB (they used to have such problems) they are caused by the signal. They currently use an unlicensed frequency for residential customers, so signal strength is limited.

The move to 3.5ghz gear (some time soon supposedly) would fix most if not all of these problems. I know when i was moved from the woeful connection i had to the business equipment i had no problems, and pings are now 1/3 or less than those from Eircom/Esat etc!

My advice, if you're thinking of getting hooked up, remember that it is likely that the standard gear wll have too much interference, but if they start rolling out the 3.5ghz gear, its definately better, and if you can get the business equipment, thatd be better still.

on the topic of ghz and stuff, he was saying it was 10.5 last night, I'm not sure if he was talking about something else being 10.5 or what though.. Frequency range maybe? He was comparing it to the 1.5 of mobile phones if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

They have 3.5Ghz and 10.5GHz licenses in different locations. The "business equipment" uses 5.7GHz as far as I know, which is also unlicensed and about as useless as 2.4Ghz except most people happen to use 2.4Ghz so that's why 5.7GHz happens to work better. Unless you're desperate, I wouldn't pay for a service that uses any unlicensed band. It might work today, but might break tomorrow, you just can't be sure.

I don't think IBB is going to use the tall mast at Windgates, before you get your hopes up. There's a much smaller mast up there that I think is the one used by ECR.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Business equipment uses 5.8ghz
    Residential uses 2.4ghz
    and ripwave users 2.4 currently with 3.5 being rolled out.

The connection is perfect when it is installed and then a crane,a building or something else gets errected in the way and can wreck everything and if you are not near another highsite in another direction that you can be moved to then it sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Just got this from IBB:
    E-mail from IBB

I am in the middle of contacting people in Bray. Our transmitter has now gone live in the Bray area. It is covering all of Bray and Greystones and reaching parts of Enniskerry. It is offering all Breeze Home options and Business packages. If you would like to go ahead with connecting to the service, please complete the forms attached & return them to us here by post, & we will add you to our system for an install. If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us on 01 481 8400 or by e-mail.

I've asked them if this will use the 3.5GHz gear - I'll post whatever they say here.

if you want to game, make sure you go for Breeze Home (Or Home Plus). Even the new ripwave is kack for gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I sent my application form in last week but they rang today to say that they had lost it and I have to send in another one, bit worried about the posts here on this thread but as I see it if you are living in bray on the southern x road then you do not really have much option
    as we are too far from the exchange in bray for adsl

does anyone in Bray actually have the service installed and can they comment on so far ?

I am going to drop a new order form in tomorrow and venture into the great unknown !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Rolling out a commercial grade service using 2.4ghz equipment with (relatively) large cell sizes in Dublin is/was insane.. guess it was just a stopgap before the licensed bands were allocated, but I imagine the existing support work for the company must be a complete nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I live on the southern cross and I have ADSL. I know another guy across the road who has it as well. We're both at the eastern end. Probably not of much use if you can't get it, but it is available in places.

waht estate do you live in , I'm in Hollybrook Park , which end is the eastern end I assume its the end near the golf club and how long have u had BB ? My line keeps failing.

Dropped in my application personally today to Irish BB and they said I would have a wait of about 3 to 4 weeks , bit I would much prefer adsl !!!!

Earlscroft. The other guy I know is in Riddlesford. You're probably a little bit further away than I am. I don't think my neighbour can get it either, so it's probably borderline around here. I had two lines, and it passed on one and failed on the other. The one that failed had Phonewatch on it, could have had something to do with it.

I don't think I have LOS to Windgates from where I'm at in any event. Lots of trees in that direction. But if another thread is to be believed, 1Mb/512k for €48 with IBB sounds pretty good to me, assuming they can deliver the service.

Sorry forgot to say, I've had it for about a year.

probably just a little further al though we are almost opposite parts of Riddlesford it must be really borderline

I am assuming I will have line of sight with wine gates which is probably a little foolish , fingers crossed , now to get my line reassessed !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

I am also on Southern X. Would that line of trees at Kilruddery Gardens really block the signal from the transmitter? I reckon I would be able to see the transmitter through the trees during the Winter but not in Summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Got this yesterday:
    Mail from IBB
    Hi Tom,
    At present Bray is only equiped with 2.4 and 5.8 frequencies and providing all Breeze options.
    Regards

• Advertisement

I wouldn't worry too much about 3.5Ghz because there's nothing between us and the transmitter so very unlikely to get interference. 2.4 or 5.8 is likely to give trouble in more urban areas.

As for trees, it depends on where you're at and what mast they're using and what height their equipment is at. I suspect I could see the taller of the two masts from the roof top. I have perfect LOS to Three Rock incidently. They come out and do a line test from what I understand, so that will tell you one way or the other.

It sounds like you guys live near me, so if all else fails we can possibly setup some kind of connection share.

Advertisement