Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stop neightbours cat using my garden as a loo!!

• 10-06-2004 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

Since we got a driveway one of the neighbours cats is using our front garden as his loo!! It's especially annoying because I have a cat of my own who uses a litter box so now I am cleaning up after 2 cats - and neighbours cat doesn't even cover the poos and even pees on my motorbike!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Anyhoo does anyone have any tips for keeping this cat away. My cat is a house cat and hangs out in the back garden so whatver happens in the front wouldn't really bother him. We've tried Jeyes fluid which usually does the trick but no joy...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Theres these things you can get to stop dogs ****ing in your garden. We have some. Im sure theres some for cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You'd need to be a bit more specific than that, UnrealQueen, or it won't be much help to tk123.

Check out places like Petstop. There's sprays that are meant to annoy cats and keep them off your property. I don't think they work half as well as they claim, but it's worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Mention it to the neighbours then garotte the cat (Yes, I'm in an especially cyncial mood this morning).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I don't think the neighbours would care!! Maybe I should bring down my cats litter tray and ask them to clean it for me!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by tk123

Anyhoo does anyone have any tips for keeping this cat away. My cat is a house cat and hangs out in the back garden so whatver happens in the front wouldn't really bother him. We've tried Jeyes fluid which usually does the trick but no joy...

You can get these devices that emit a high pitched tone/vibration that only cats/rats/dogs can hear and it'll keep them away. I don't know the name, but i'm sure you can get it in a big pet superstore. THink they're pretty cheap too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Try dusting pepper around, or a dilute solution of vinegar or lemon juice. There was the ould wives tale about getting some lion or tiger poo from the zoo to scare the visiting cat into thinking that he was on the territory of a pretty scary big cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

get an empty 2lt coke bottle or something similar, fill it with water, cap it, and leave
    it in the garden. a traditional remedy afaik. whether it works or not is another thing
    entirely!

http://www.google.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

@tk123

seen in a betterware mag that sales reps normally put in door then call back few days later to see if you want anything...they had this cut out of a cat to stick in garden to stop other cats from coming in etc.....think there is a spray u can buy too ill find out name later and post it back to you.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Maplins do a electric device that works a treat on dogs and should work with cats too. Cant remember the name but its bright yellow and paw shaped lol :)

A lot of people find that if they install a PIR Floodlight the light going on when the cat enters will keep it away, u have to make sure u buy quite a sensitive PIR tho.

Another idea is to make the cardboard shape of a cat and place it in a visable area, make sure u paint it matt black and have somthing reflective for the eyes, *somtimes* it scares them (cats are very territorial).

Also, i know this sounds gross, but try putting a bit of your cats used litter around here and there, this OFTEN works (but only if ur cat is neutered or male, putting urine from an unneutered female will attract every male cat in your area) lol ;)

Leaving lemon and orange peel on ur motorbike should also do the trick, cats HATE citrus smells.

The best way to think is that you have to use their dislikes against them, chemicals etc are often not effective because they see it as a challenge lol, its the natural things that they hate that works best, like curry powder, citrus, woodchips, other cats, loud or repetitive lights or noises, sudden movements they cant identify, soap shavings, getting wet.

No matter what u do it will take a few days at least because a cat will always "try again" for a day or two before it gets bored, so stick with it! :)

Hope that helps some,

B

Let us know if it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by woolymammoth
    get an empty 2lt coke bottle or something similar, fill it with water, cap it, and leave
    it in the garden. a traditional remedy afaik. whether it works or not is another thing
    entirely
    Yep this is the same method my aunt used for years, I don't know if it really worked, but since she used it for so long, I'm sure there's something to it.
    Worth a shot at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭R33F

Since we got a driveway one of the neighbours cats is using our front garden as his loo!!

We use to have a neighbours cat that did the same thing until Mrs R33F bought home a homeless cat from the vetinary practice where she works.

Our feline family member is 8.5 kilo's (big boned);)

After beating my two dogs black and blue, it started on the neighbours cat(s).

There are no other cats within a block of us now.... there all to damn scared !!

Feed your cat up... them let him loose out the front !!!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went home yesterday and the garden had been "used"!!! It looks like that cat has worms so neightbours prob aren't even worming it!! Anyhoo after cleaning up I got a bag and a glove and got some of my cats used litter and sprinkled it in the garden. It's working so far!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Ive been told that apple peel is good, or put down glass bottles (NOT BROKEN, WHOLE BOTTLES) aparently the glass scares the cats as they are afraid of cutting themselves. At least thats what my gran & mum always say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Sit and wait with a water gun. Spray the cat when it enters your driveway :)

It's a painless way stop the cat coming into your garden & help with the stress of having to clean up another cats poo.

Putting some of my cats litter in the garden did the trick until yesterday when I got a whiff off my bike - I'm putting that down to the rain so i'm going to put some more out. Somebody told me that the bottle of water is supposed to scare them because they see their reflection and think it's another cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

personally, I have never found the water bottle trick to work.
    The thing is, about the litter, most cats dont even like sharing a litter tray with another cat if they have *any* other option, so as long as he/she thinks another cat owns it, she wont use it, and soon wont bother even coming in to check.

When it rains, u will need to redo it pretty soon tho, coz most of the scent is in the ammonia, which when it rains, just disolves into the soil. But when its dry it will last ages

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Since we got a driveway one of the neighbours cats is using our front garden as his loo!! It's especially annoying because I have a cat of my own who uses a litter box so now I am cleaning up after 2 cats - and neighbours cat doesn't even cover the poos and even pees on my motorbike!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'd put money on that cat being an unneutered male...bloody things are a pain in the arse, pissing on trees, not covering up their mess, trying to bully my own cats....Tell your neighbour to get him neutered, hopefully it'll stop his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Battlesnake

Same advice as said above.
    2lt coke/fanta/whatever bottles - empty - get the labels off - fill with water and put around your garden upside down pushed into the soil 'apparently better' as looks less like a bottle and also won't fall over.
    I've 3 elderly relatives who sware by this. My Uncle has a bigger problem with uninvited cats. So I think he alturnates the bottles with something else when the cats start to become cocky again. Unfotunately can't remember what else he does to get rid of them. . . . will get back to you on this one.

My own personal advice would be to try and talk to the neighbours, get them to sort it out, the cat's their responsibility - not yours.

well the prob was solved by using my kitties used litter but I know what you mean -cat poo is really dangerous - especially for kids or pregnant women. The people who own this cat had a cat before that was killed by dogs and they this cat roam around all day...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bearsglen

I own cats and live in an area where i end up with about 30 strays a week. i have a proven way to keep them out of the garden, flower beds and such that is the best i know. Dogs are based on sight so the mason jar of water every 10 feet along the middle of your garden works a treat, it hurts their eyes, cats on the other hand are scent based. they hate pungient smells, what i use is essential oils on old used tea bags and i put them just under the surface of the flower bed , or in the laundry basket, or anywhere i dont want them going.

the oils i use are as follows, (rememeber it just has to be strong not unpleasent for you) TEATREE and orange.

what you do is to steep the tea bag until you get no more tea out of it. let it dry out, then you add 6 drops of the oil to it and then put it where you dont want the cats. you will need to do this every week until they just stop doing it.

it is cheap and works wonders. as for your bike, you can make a solution of teatree oil scented water and just spray it on the areas the cat had tried to use. also after put a tea bag where it goes and it will stop.

I promise this works, the cat protection society even takes my idea and passes it on as it is animal friendly and doesnt put the owner out of pocket badly ( new plant and then stuff for your bike can be very costly)

I hope this helps you.
    bearsglen:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement