Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutering Age?

• 10-06-2004 10:26pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

Hi

We've just got a dog (a mongrel bitch cross between lab, collie and springer spaniel) and it's 8 weeks old.

It's now 8 weeks old but I was wondering when would be a good time to consider getting the dog neutered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

I have two dogs both neutered, was advised to let the female go into heat at least once. the male we waited untill after the 1st year. the reason behind it is if u get them done to young then they never mature and stay kid like. It has worked out fine for us but be prepared to keep an eagle eye on it untill snipped, dont want to help the already high amount of unwanted dogs...
    This is just what i heard after looking into it quite a bit, however for assurance i would recomend the site .irishanimals. they may have more details.

Good look with the dog!!!

PS: if u want to train him/her right then could talk enough about a book call dog listener, uk aurthor. My dogs went from nuts to cleaver in no time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

9-12 months was what my vet advised. Best to ask your own vet's advice bout this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Personally, I would advise taking her to your vet after (or near the end) of her first season (heat).
    He/She will be able to give you a time then and maybe book an appt.

I have found the "wait till after first heat" approach best, allthough some say its an old wives tale, i have had bitches who have been done before (believe it or not) and after, and personality wise, it does seem to make a difference.

Good to see a responsible dog owner :):)

B

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭R33F

Originally posted by byte
    Hi

We've just got a dog (a mongrel bitch cross between lab, collie and springer spaniel) and it's 8 weeks old.

It's now 8 weeks old but I was wondering when would be a good time to consider getting the dog neutered?

I have 2 dogs, a blue cattle x (bitch) and a staffy x. We got her done at 6 months, and let the dog go until he was 13mths or so. He was a timid puppy, and once he started growing out of that, he was done straight away.

Good choice to get them done though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Advertisement