Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noobie to Broadband

• 10-06-2004 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I only got broadband this moring and everything is going alright. I'm having a few problems connecting to FTPs as well to newsgroups...

Is there any settings that i have to change in them such as the connection settings as i was able to access them last night on my 56k and tis getting really annoyin.

By the way i'm using iolbb if thats nehelp

Thanx

Balkie

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Were you with IOL for dial up as well? If you werent then you will need to set up your news reader for iol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

yeah thanx i managed to fix the news reader problem, but i cant connect to any ftps at all ( i know ftps die after a short period of time but these were working fine before i switched to broadband eg ftp.aol.com), so if any one could shed some light i'd be grateful...

by the way i'm using flashfxp and cuteftp

::edit::
    the problem seems to be affecting only port 21 server so have no idea!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What hardware are you using to connect to the net?, the default modem from Esat/IOL should not block any ftp ports, but if you are using something else then it *could* for some weird reason be blocking the ftp port (21). Ping the hosts you are trying to connect to, also try and connect using your browser.

i'm using the default modem thru a usb connection.
    Opening thru the browser doesnt work either also my pings are timing out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

it may just be horrible timing! :) Are you _sure_ that the ftp servers are still up?

• Advertisement

Positive as i've tryed different companys, normal companys where there never down, this is all i'm gettin:
    Connecting to Intel Connection failed (Connection refused) Delaying for 15 seconds before reconnect attempt #1 Retry attempt Aborted Connection canceled Unable to resolve host: ftp.gamers.com Delaying for 15 seconds before reconnect attempt #1 Retry attempt Aborted Connecting to Lucasarts Connection failed (Connection refused)

It says (Connection refused) which sorts of looks like i'm banned from all those servers or just blocked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well ftp.gamers.com seems to be down
    but ftp.aol.com is working
    what ftp client are u using?

I'm using flashfxp which was working grand for me before i switched to broadband, also installed cuteftp but that dont worked either...

Its alright i fixed it myself..

Just went into the routers homepage thru the broswer, and edited the settings in Network Address Translation (NAT) using SUA only i.e added the ports manually.

can now access all ports quite fast
    thanx for any help though..

Advertisement