Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking networks

Options
  • 10-06-2004 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I have a situation where I have 3 physical networks that are totally seperate. They are in the same building (a school) so distance between them is pretty small. There are 4 hubs (one room has 2*16 ports and the others have a 24 port switch and 8 port hub). Basically I want to be able to connect these 3 networks together. I've got a vague idea as to how I should go about it but I'd prefer to be certain before I try so anyone care to tell me how best to accomplish this. I've googled a bit and have found some stuff on bridging and it looks like what I want to do but any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Rory

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Some hubs/switches have uplink ports. You can run a straight cable between two hubs using this uplink port. Failing that, simply connect them all together using cross over cable.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Need more data. If they are on separate networks, they may have different IP address ranges. If so, you'll either want to keep them that way in which case you'll either need a router, or widen the subnet masks so they can see each other. If they have the same IP address ranges, you need to be sure that you don't get address conflicts. How you do this depends on whether they are statically addressed or via DHCP. If static, just renumber them manually. If DHCP, the combined network should only have one DHCP server.

In terms of physically connecting the networks, most switches can autosense whether a link is to a hub or to an ethernet card; I'd suggest simply wiring one hub from each room to the switch (assuming you have two free ports on the switch). If this doesn't work, change these links to crossover wiring and try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    Need more data. If they are on separate networks, they may have different IP address ranges.

In terms of physically connecting the networks, most switches can autosense whether a link is to a hub or to an ethernet card; I'd suggest simply wiring one hub from each room to the switch (assuming you have two free ports on the switch). If this doesn't work, change these links to crossover wiring and try again.

Each net has a different IP range. They are all statically configured IP's. Any reccomendations on a good switch to buy (not too expensive and preferably 24 port.

Cheers for the advice so far

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by rmacm
    Each net has a different IP range. They are all statically configured IP's.
    Okie. If you want to leave them alone, you'll probably need to widen the netmasks.

For example - if one of the networks has IPs in the 192.168.0.x range, and a netmask of 255.255.255.0, then to reach 192.168.1.x it would need a router. If you change all the netmasks to 255.255.0.0 then they will be able to communicate no problem.
    Any reccomendations on a good switch to buy (not too expensive and preferably 24 port.
    I don't think you need a "good" one - pretty much any switch will do. If you have two free ports in the 24-port switch you have, it will do the job itself.

Advertisement