Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dance music..knackers?

• 11-06-2004 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

do ya ever wonder why/when dance music got associated with knackers?

im not saying everyone who likes dance music is a knacker..but it is sterotyped

i like dance music...but far from a knacker

ive got funny looks off some of my mates in the past for playing it..and them jokingly saying

''Jaaayyysssuuusss''!!...ya know...in that type of accent

what you guys think?

(apologies for using the word 'knacker'...not
    sure of another name to use)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

that's an easy one to answer. Back when e's took off, scummers were not surprisingly among the 1st to try them out. The buzz around the drug spread like wildfire and before you knew it places like Sides and the Asylum were wall to wall with scumbags trying to chew their face off. It took much longer for dance music and E's to spread to the middle-class suburbs, so thats why it's associated with Howiyas.

Now can someone explain the same thing for me, but replace dance music with the following;

1. UB40
    2. Aslan

I was at a gig in the shelter same night Aslan were playing Vicar St. and I have never seen so many gearheads in one place in my entire life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

dance music is such a lose term. Its like saying how gutair music is listened to by Metalers. Where my granny might be sitting at home listening to Dianiel O Donnell which could come under gutair music. If you were to say thet "Knackers" are associated with Hard House you would have a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by clearz
    dance music is such a lose term. Its like saying how gutair music is listened to by Metalers. Where my granny might be sitting at home listening to Dianiel O Donnell which could come under gutair music. If you were to say thet "Knackers" are associated with Hard House you would have a point.

Not really... I suppose you could make a comparison like "Guitar music" and "Electronic Music", that could be broad enough in scope. But if we were saying "Dance Music" then something more like "Rock Music" is more appropriate.

Well to me "Dance Music" is as broad as saying "Electronic Music" and I have been listining to certain forms of it for a long time. Not HardHouse :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by clearz
    If you were to say thet "Knackers" are associated with Hard House you would have a point.
    sad but true:(
    for me, there's nothing like a bit of a stomp to HH when you're in need of some stress relief.

i ****ing hate the way that most people associate the genre only with the typical output of labels such as Tidy and Nukleuz, or the kind of muck that Lisa Lashes et al play... there's an entire spectrum of music out there within the HardHouse genre that many people unfortunately overlook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ahh in the closest knackers :D
    The buzz around the drug spread like wildfire and before you knew it places like Sides and the Asylum were wall to wall with scumbags trying to chew their face off.

Other way round , was music 1st then the drugs both coming at end of late 80s from UK ACEEEEEED scene. Just was natural progression ,reason tey seen as knackers was clothes they wore tracksuits etc but they were worn as wooly jumper and jeans in a rave was a bad idea.
    I frequented both of those places a lot and it was 50/50 to scummers and people like me who liked the music.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It depends on the sub-genre of dance music, I think. For instance, Temple Theatre played hard house and it was always packed with the biggest knackers i've ever seen - in fact any hard house night I was at (although this was years ago) was usually a magnet for scum.

Whereas techno/electro nights are frequented by non-tracksuit wearing, sound people, generally. Go into D1 in Traffic on a Friday night, or Electricity in the Metropolitan on a Thursday, and then compare to Red Box or those Temple Theatre 'reunion' nights and you'll see :)

techno/electro draws a kind of strange mix of people. Were you ever in diffuse in the bottom floor of frasier's on a friday. You got a mix of normal techno heads Goths and Transvestites. Imagine sticking a scumo tracksuit head in the middle of that for a laugh.:D

That is some of the crazist acid techno I have ever heard.

there's an entire spectrum of music out there within the HardHouse genre that many people unfortunately overlook.

In England the hardhouse scene was massive and diddent seem to attract the same "class of following";) I think they must have all been listening to garage or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

i was trying to tell this friend via messenger the other nite just about this.

she's american and couldnt understand the concept of knackers/dance music

twas quite funny really...45 degrees and all (caps) she thought it was really sad!

thats americans for ya...but thats how most of us think anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Its stupid stereotyping people who like certain types of music. saying stuff like all people who like dance music are knackers is like saying that all irish people drink guinness and live in tatched rooved houses.

Rockers get similar stereotypical treatment. all rockers are middle class social misfits etc.Also Hip hop and R&B is believed to be exclusively for coloured people

Music is music.Any one can listen to what type of music they like regardless of colour,race,sex,socio economic background etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Von Irish

True, most/all Skangers, like dance, especially HardHouse.

But the people who say "Dance music is only for knackers", aren't usually worth holding a conservation with, as they're too narrow minded.

I'd be into techno and house, and I ain't no Skanga:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

AngelofFire
    no-one here is disputing that, we're discussing the origins of these associations. What dictates these so-called stereotypes is the look and class of people who are actively involved in the 'scene'. The dance scene was(can't answer for is, I'm getting on!) rampant with scummers because of the amount of drugs involved. The metal scene in the 80's and 90's was centred on clubs like McGonagles and Fibbers, and bars like Bruxelles and Charlies. That scene was at least 75% male, most dressed in denim/leather/tight jeans/runner boots=classy. For younger readers, please use the 'Juggernaut of Rock' ads on TV as a reference! If you wore a shirt you were slagged off as being a 'plastic'(someone who liked hair rock bands, like me) FFS. And most of the women were bet down. So to say it wasn't exactly glam central is pretty generous, hence the term 'smelly rocker' :D , So its not like someone picked the term out of the sky!

More knacker places I remember frequenting;
    UFO club
    Ormond MMC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭pyramid man

well to say that hard house is for knackers and scummers is an extremely bad thing. I know that alot of them blare lisa lashes 75th extreme euphoria and so on and so forth and all the skangers listen to that. But the sad truth is that alot of skangers and co listen to metal and pop and punk and anything fast. That does not mean that everyone who listens to it is a scummer. Take for instance that I know that alot of people who like hard house music. They like to listen to that music. I myself listen to alot of hard trance and hard house. Alot of them know the difference between drop mixing and smooth mixing though which is something that 99% of scummers will not know. Fact!!!!!.

You will have scummers associated with every genre barr classical and country(barely).

Simple fact of life is Different folks, Different Strokes.

Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

i kno a lot of d4 rugby school attending youths who listen to hardhouse.My area is a very working class and there are loads of people who like rock music. I think its a fraudualant argument to say that dance music is for "skangers"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    i kno a lot of d4 rugby school attending youths who listen to hardhouse.My area is a very working class and there are loads of people who like rock music. I think its a fraudualant argument to say that dance music is for "skangers"

Dead right

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

maybe because you see knackers in there muppet mobiles blairing out the music while bombing down the road with the ****ed up muffler and you always see english tracksuit heads making a nusence in those dodgy ibiza uncovered programmes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by eth0_
    Whereas techno/electro nights are frequented by non-tracksuit wearing, sound people, generally. Go into the Metropolitan

Im a total knacker/Johnner and i'll be in there for Clarker next month wearing my tightest levis and best Ben Sham shirt....roih!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

youre all missing the point. what was so revolutionary about the whole acid house + e + summer of 88 buzz [and electronic dance music in general when it started ] was that it was supposed to unite all strands of society, and the fact that it was supposed to be a democratic open source culture that allowed everyone to participate.... then things got a bit crap in the early nineties, the house [no longer acid house] clubs started to enforce this stupid "glamourous" thing and everyone else turned to hardcore, techno, and what would evolve into drum and bass... you still see it today... thats why the people you get in spirit and the people you get in the metropolitan are pretty much seperate tribes. and thats why the heads in traffic who go there because they didnt get into spirit always look so confused.

as for hard house, well it appeals to children culchies and people who took their first e last weekend, as well as people who just want an irony free night of mindless hedonism. fair play, but give me proper music any day.

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Im a total knacker/Johnner and i'll be in there for Clarker next month wearing my tightest levis and best Ben Sham shirt....roih!

big up yourself! actually techno is very much working class music in my opinion.. always remember, it was invented by kids who's fathers had been made redundant and lost their jobs to robots. anyone who's ever worked on an assembly line or operated heav machinery in a factory or whatever can understand techno. and yet at the same time its possibly the most intellectualised and "thought about" form of dance music there is... certainly one of the most forward thinking!

class divisions do not belong on the dancefloor. leave that to the rock/metal community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭pyramid man

As I said before, Hard house/trance is for the people who like it. Doesnt really apply to any particular group. I like hard trance/House. But then again I like all music as long as it is well structured. I dont really know where the generalisations come from and to be quiet honest I dont want to either. Where I think it comes from is the middle aged people who dont appreciate for what it is. It is a music genre. Nothing more. Nothing less. Thats it. People have their own tastes and opinions and they are entitled to them. But after all, thats what makes us so unique. You are unique. Just like everyone else.

On a lighter note I think this should be moved to be debated. So DeV.
    If you are reading this, make it a debate. This is something that I would like to see argued over. Also thanks to Teddi, for bringing me a bit of entertainment in my otherwise boring life.

Diarmuid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Good idea pyramid man, Id like to see this debated aswell, it makes a good conversation. Good points from tyranny aswell...

A lot of what has been said above only really applies in dublin.
    3 quarters of the fckin country are hard house and trance heads, its a disgrace I tell ye. And this IS first hand experience from a lot of people all over the country I know.
    Reason being the fact that there are very few good record shops or radio stations anywhere else in the country, exceptions being Cork, Waterford, Galway and Limerick obviously. Although, I have no expierence in Galway or Limerick, Id imagine the tune selection and availiablity would be at least half decent judging by the nights on in those places.

Anyways, my points over, back to the debate...

and what about other genres of dance??? drum and bass had to increase its tempo by 25 bpm and disembowel itself in order to purge itself of the rude boy ghetto youth contingent who then buggered off to form garage, which had to go all soulful and broken beat-ish to purge itself of the gunshot bloodclaart teenage mc crew who are now making 8 bar grime tunes on their playstations and shooting each other for their reebok classics....

in hardcore / gabber / speedcore / noisecore etc you have a whole different kind of tribal mentality, from the scum of the eath dogs on string cru who beg outside supermacs in galway for money to spend on ketamine all the way to serious wire reading bespectacled professors of post structuralist literature who like arty noise.... whereas go to holland and the gabber scene is totally different, its like a cross between metal in its strength of identity, people are actively encouraged to dress like a gabber [black tracksuits] and to hold views compatible with the wider community of dutch hardcore fans [hint - you dont see too many black folks down at Hellrazor!]

Advertisement