Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clive Barker

Options
  • 11-06-2004 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

anyone read any of his stuff? Just got "Coldheart Canyon" seems quite good...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I've read some of his Books of Blood. They're short stories and some of them I found quite cool even though I'm not usually very much into horror.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ah I've read a fair bit of his stuff.

Imajica - A ,fantasy/horror novel, is an absolute must read. It perfectly gets across Barker's themes of sexualized horror in a highly imaginative environment. The plot's also delicious fcuked up...

Weaveworld - Echoes some of the themes in Imajica (I think it was written beforehand) is somewhat inferior but still a decent read. Essentially, it's the story of a protaganist who enters a world that was woven into a carpet that he recently bought, but it's not a child's piece.

The Thief of Always - This is a child's book but it's a dark fairy tale, replete with lovely etches by the multi-talented Barker.

The Great and Secret Show/Everville - First two parts of "The Art" series. I enjoyed these although I'm somewhat frustrated by the lack of a followup. Umm it again uses some highly sexualized form of magic along with a whole host of odd themes and plots. Well worth catching.

Galilee - Not my favourite, although this is a well written novel about two powerful dynasties over a few years. A bit too lght on the action and imagination, it falls short of the fantastical imagings of his earlier works.

The Damnation Game - I think this, his earliest work, is his weakest and I don't particularly recommend it.

... Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Originally posted by simu
    I've read some of his Books of Blood. They're short stories and some of them I found quite cool even though I'm not usually very much into horror.
    Yeah, I read a few of those stories. Remember the one about the serial killer bringing food to the underworld people (at the secret subway stop). Crazy sh*t!! He's quite gory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Originally posted by neXus9
    Yeah, I read a few of those stories. Remember the one about the serial killer bringing food to the underworld people (at the secret subway stop). Crazy sh*t!! He's quite gory.

Yeah, that was so weird. Some people I know interpreted it as an allegory of the way the United States is run. I also liked the one about the island that
    turned out to be a giant whale
    and the one where
    a student took other students prisoner and forced themto brewk their own taboos - interesting if gross!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive only had this book 2 or 3 days and im about 350 pages in, cant put it down. He has a great style of writing , some of the stuff he writes is really realyl disturbingly disturbed ! His mix of sex , gore and wierd creatures is... very strange but works well to horrify the reader... Think I'll read weaverworld next...followed by a few more!

• Advertisement
Advertisement