Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painkiller

Options
  • 11-06-2004 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

I really like this game, fast-paced action with lots of "wow" and "jaysus" moments.
    I'm now playing through on Nightmare, collecting ALL the secrets etc, but yesterday I had a very frustrating episode. In the Opera level, I finally found the 3rd secret and managed to hop up to it after 3 attempts :). I hopped down but somehow managed to detonate a fire extinguisher which killed me (I hadn't saved). I reloaded and spent an HOUR trying to get the secret again, took a break and then another hour trying... I must have taken 200-300 attempts before I finally got it (if you were woken by a loud "YES!!!!!!!!!!!!" last night, that was me).

Anyway, what secret did you find the hardest?
    Mine are:
    #1 Catacombs: vine jump
    #2 Opera: top of stairway (hop up through the arch)
    #3 City on Water: Rooftop jump

Now, back to the juggling/gibbing :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

me too lazy to get all the secrets. I just downloaded the bink player to view the end movie (the one that's shown will all secrets / black tarot cards found).

BTW what you make of the last level - quite the troubled mind that designed that level. Big thumbs up for it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

The first boss. The giant in the graveyard. After you damage him enough to break his chains off, how do you avoid all the weather effects he throws at you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The last level is a queer. Well designed all right, but fighting Satan is the most tedious thing ever (unless I'm doing it wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Originally posted by [CrimsonGhost]
    The first boss. The giant in the graveyard. After you damage him enough to break his chains off, how do you avoid all the weather effects he throws at you??
    Stay as close to him as possible. Once you move any distance away from him, the tornadoes will get you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by bambam
    me too lazy to get all the secrets. I just downloaded the bink player to view the end movie (the one that's shown will all secrets / black tarot cards found).
    Finding and getting to the secrets is like another game, it really tests your bunnyhopping skills :)

Originally posted by PiE
    The last level is a queer. Well designed all right, but fighting Satan is the most tedious thing ever (unless I'm doing it wrong).
    It's waaay too easy.
    SPOILER:

Just keep your distance, and when the rocks shoot up, position yourself so they'll come down between you and Satan, then just aim at the rocks and fire them at Satan, he goes down really quick that way (first morph if you're lucky).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

thanks for the spoilers guys... fighting satan would have been a nice surprise for me:(

Originally posted by tman
    thanks for the spoilers guys... fighting satan would have been a nice surprise for me:(
    Well, I did post SPOILER and left a gap before the text.
    I didn't read any forums about the game until I'd finished it, I hate spoilers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Sir Random
    Well, I did post SPOILER and left a gap before the text.
    I didn't read any forums about the game until I'd finished it, I hate spoilers too.
    aye, i'd already seen that the final boss is satan by the time i came to your post... not much point in ignoring spoilers after i'd read that

oh yeah;
    insert spoiler here, without the space after spoiler
    gives you this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

use the fckin spoiler tag, idiot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

****ing retards , Im fed up of reading the end of films and games on boards.ie. Its in the bloody charter , if you cant put spoiler tags then dont talk about things that may ruin plots for people. Should be temp bans for this kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by Tusky
    Should be temp bans for this kinda thing.

Just have their hands cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

So the game is based on the fight between good and evil, with you battling satan's minions all the way through on behalf of God. Finding out that you have to fight Satan in the end... is a spoiler?

Sharp as a tack chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

LOL... I agree, PiE.

In fairness, though, a 500+ poster (Sir Random) should know how to use friggin' spoiler tags by now.... a temp ban for stupidity wouldn't be a bad idea.

Im not just talking about this time though , Ive read the end of films and games that are less obvious many a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by PiE
    So the game is based on the fight between good and evil, with you battling satan's minions all the way through on behalf of God. Finding out that you have to fight Satan in the end... is a spoiler?

Sharp as a tack chaps.

LOL i havent got that far but kinda assumed thats how it would end, i mean like your gods hitman but keeping it on the downlow, worst story ever :)

kdjac

Originally posted by TmB
    LOL... I agree, PiE.

In fairness, though, a 500+ poster (Sir Random) should know how to use friggin' spoiler tags by now.... a temp ban for stupidity wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Well pardon me for not knowing about spoiler tags, I have never posted any kind of spoiler before. I did however, make a blatant attempt to warn that I was posting a possible spoiler (using the same method STILL used on most forums, the word SPOILER followed by blank space), but if you really think I should be suspended for "stupidity" then go ahead.

Originally posted by TmB
    quote:
    Originally posted by [CrimsonGhost]
    Stay as close to him as possible. Once you move any distance away from him, the tornadoes will get you.
    So why didn't YOU use the spoiler tag here? You KNEW about the tags... :rolleyes: and you think I should get a temp ban for stupidity? lol

This is crazy, it's the first thread I've started here, and the only other thread I read in the "Games" forum was the Far Cry one, which is FULL of spoilers posted by moderators. Why the witch-hunt in this thread?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Please explain why *YOU* reposted it without using tags? (please don't answer)

GET BACK ON TOPIC*

* not optional - final warning, no refunds.

spoiler tags are in the charter , READ IT.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Tusky
    spoiler tags are in the charter , READ IT.
    I have read it. I wasn't aware it had been recently updated with spoiler tags, I didn't even know such tags existed so pardon my ignorance. I used the only method known to me (typing SPOILER followed by a blank space) so obviously I would have used spoiler tags if I'd known they existed and were implemented on these boards. I'm truly sorry if anyone continued reading that post and it affected their enjoyment of the game.

Back on topic, the "Palace" window-jump is now an even-tie with the vine-jump for my hardest secret to get. Is nobody else going after them?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

That's all very nice, now get BACK ON TOPIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Been having a quick rip through it recently, nice enough. The asylum level was pretty well done, and the games sound effects are something else. Headphones add to the experience lots. There are graphical glitches that really annoyed me though; Painkiller doesn't like some Radeon cards, especially without the latest drivers, and my card happens to be a laptop-tailored one which ATI don't provide drivers for.

Originally posted by nosmo
    ...the games sound effects are something else. Headphones add to the experience lots.
    Agreed,
    Turn off the lights, turn down the battle music and raise the ambient sounds. It gets really creepy with displaced voices mumbling and distant screams... (then there's surround-wife which can reeeally freak you out at the wrong moment :D)

I've finished Nightmare with all secrets, so now I'm playing Trauma (looking forward to playing the 2nd locked level). There're no saves (or souls) in Trauma but I have a quicksave if anyone wants to play the locked levels without getting all the tarot cards.

Advertisement