Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Maths, Paper Two

Options
  • 11-06-2004 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I’ve got a very basic question about Higher Maths, Paper Two: How exactly do you draw circles? I’ve never really been able to; don’t have a clue what to do. Nothing specifically about it in the book – it’s probably too fundamental. Anyway, any advice/guide on/to drawing circles for Paper Two, Question One?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

find centre, radius. set compass to radius, draw... profit

they never ask to draw them when you can do all of the operations via maths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

compass! pfft.
    its not a feckin art exam man, you can just lash down a circle freehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Is there not some kind of method for getting, say three points on the circle or something? I know they probably won't ask to draw the circle, it's more for interpreting the question properly than anything else. Up until know, I've never bothered drawing the question - but my maths teacher keeps warning me to draw them. Just don't want to get caught out on something I had been warned about again and again. Don't want another repeat of the retardedness of paper one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

The only drawing you ahve to do is freehand. They are not expecting works of art here. You dont even have to use graph paper if you dont want to.

Basically, just freehand a circle, and choose random points and write in known values such as the radius etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Yeah the last thing you want to do is start worrying about a sketch that's just to help you get an idea of the mechanics of the question. There's no marks for it, because you don't have to do one. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only time you ever have to sketch something is paper 1 Q6/7.

• Advertisement

Sometimes you have to sketch that curvy thingy that has no max/min. Whatever its called. The one that has the asyptotes etc.

I'm not worrying about it, just wondering what the right way to do it was. Anytime I did it before (maybe once or twice) I just did it freehand, looked a bit **** really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭penguincakes

Touch pen/pencil/marker/crayons (not yellow) to paper. Execute quarter-circle turn to the left as if you were rubbing the rim of a mug (look I don't have many tools to work with here). Repeat x 4.

so you're going to draw a circle with 5 quarters? The origional quarter circle, and then 4 more quarter circles? Thats one crazy ass circle... :p

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    so you're going to draw a circle with 5 quarters? The origional quarter circle, and then 4 more quarter circles? Thats one crazy ass circle... :p

See where my confusion comes from? All these razy 5/4 circles. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭penguincakes

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Sorry musta missed one, repeat X 5 then :p

As long as you do 4 quarters it doesn't matter how many more you do, they'll just be making the line darker :)

Just finished trig, the circle and most of vectors. My eyes are watering

I'M LOVIN' IT!
    logo24.gif

Anyone else staying away from probability? I don't mind it at all but for an exam situation I'd like to know if I have the right answer or not. I have an uncany ability to always pick the wrong option out of combination or permutation when the question doesn't make it clear.

Also, is anyone doing groups, elipses or further probability? If so I'd like to get an autograph, you must be the only one in the country.

Anyone else staying away from probability?
    No siree bob. Difference equations and statistics are laughably easy. Admittedly probability is hit and miss, but you have LOADS of time for it, and if you just focus and keep a clear head it's a breeze. I'm definitely doing 6 & 7 before trig anyway. Funny how the "option" question is the one question you have to do :rolleyes: Q8 is pretty straightforward though. I don't think I've ever seen a hard max/min Q.

What ones are you skipping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Skipping vectors and some other question I don't like.

Doing probability for my option. \m/

I'm doin' the standard 1,2,3,4,5,8. Never revised statistics/probability, so I don't have any choices if ****ty questions come up. The one I'm most worried about is vectors.... those damn visual ones always feck me up. 2003 vectors were easy enough, so let's hope they keep it up. In fact, I'm just after doing (most of) the 2003 paper, and it's a nice paper overall. The question 8 practical thing was a bit off-putting, but it's doubtful something like that would come up again.

I'm going to do as much as I can in the following order: 1,2,3,6,7,8,4,5

Haven't done many full paper 2s timing myself so I'm not too sure how much I'm aiming to get done, I'll find out over the weekend.
    It's the proofs that'll kill you. That's the advantage of skipping trig, you cut out a lot of proofs, but I'd be stupid not to go over them anyway. Circle is long but always doable, same for line. Everyone who I've talked too has the idea that vectors are piss easy, but you get some really nasty part c's. It can often be a very simple question on the other hand. Tip for anyone not decided on their questions: start with the part c's on the trig Q's, if you can do them go on with the rest of the question. Good way of avoiding wasting time on a question you're not going to finish off. You can come back to them in the end once you've got 6 Q's in the bag.

I love the trig proofs. Nearly all of the time I see the path I have to take, the rest I go with my gut. Excellent suggestion about starting with the part cs however it might be very off putting if you can't get one out.

By love I mean are usually easy but annoying, and by proofs are you including the cos(A+B) ones etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

oooooooh i'm doing groups!!! i feel all special. i shoulda recommended it to yiz ages ago cos it's REALLY REALLY easy and basically the same thing every year.

if you bring one of those little blue vaselines in with you you can use it to draw a perfect circle, and it's just an 'aid' so they're allowed, before any pedantry ensues.

anyone have ANY THEOREM PREDICTIONS OR WHAT PROOFS THEY THINK ARE GONNA COME UP?!?!?!??!?!?

and by proofs are you including the cos(A+B) ones etc?
    Yeah all the page 9 heroes you have to prove. How tedious...
    I ****in hate the identities you're talking about, where you prove something=something using all the rules. I mean, I just don't see the point of it, it seems so random and useless.
    it's REALLY REALLY easy and basically the same thing every year
    Ditto for Q8 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Originally posted by Discharger Snake
    I mean, I just don't see the point of it, it seems so random and useless.

As opposed to the rest of the maths course, which has so much use in everyday life. I know my life has changed utterly now that I can differentiate cos x by first principles.... :p

Calculus is incredibly useful really, you can apply it to everything. Anyway what I meant to say was that proving trig identities is more about trial and error than actually using logic and intelligence to arrive at a solution.

Calculus is incredibly useful really, you can apply it to everything. Anyway what I meant to say was that proving trig identities is more about trial and error than actually using logic and intelligence to arrive at a solution.

Well, for some people it's totally trial and error. But others can see "patterns" in the question/result and know exactly what to do and when from the very begining. I think those kind of questions test your maths abilities more than most questions on the paper. Instead of just testing what you've learned off and done over and over and over again like the trig identity proof, they actually require a bit of creative thinking.

But others can see "patterns" in the question/result and know exactly what to do and when from the very begining
    You can't know "exactly" what to do, you'd be einstein otherwise. You see a pattern and you think it'll work, you try it, and it might work. But sometimes it doesn't and you end up with a big mess. The only things you can learn off are proofs and part a's. If you try to learn off anything else you're gonna get a C at most. Almost everything on the paper requires creative thinking. That sort of thing is just boring compared to a good practical question in differentiation or something. I dunno, maybe I just don't like them and never will.

Ok, well maybe not "exactly" - but have a very good idea of how to do it. It might not be the most creative question on Paper 2 - but it definetly needs alot more thought than the triple simultaneous questions on paper one or the absolutely pathetic rates of change in Q6/7.

Here's my bare bones revision checklist for today. Mostly proofs, obviously, plus a couple things that could catch you out.

Q3
    -proof of angle between two lines
    -proof of perpendicular distance
    -image of a line segment, proving that the image is a line segment
    Q4/5
    -12 proofs of pg 9 identities
    Q6/7
    -proof of difference equations formula
    Q8
    -estimating pi with sum of two inverse tans

-proof of difference equations formula

is that the same as Q7 (B) (i) in 1994? is that they way you'll be asked to prove it?

• Advertisement

Q4/5
    -12 proofs of pg 9 identities

Which ones are those?

For the maclaurin series, I hear (1 + x)^m is a likely one, with a ratio test added in at the end. Obviously its not guaranteed to come up, but it wouldn't hurt revising it.

Advertisement