Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Election Media

• 11-06-2004 1:52pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Given that we are coming to the end of the election campaigns, I thought it would be interesting to find out what form of advertising from politicians effected or could effect you most?

Obviously good policies is a must, but if we ignore that (so not to get too political) and assume that all candidates have equally good ideas, what would be the most effective way of bringing them to you?

Posters, leaflets, door to door, billboards, tv spots, walking around town etc etc...

We all know that politics has a strong basis in PR, and the most likable candidate is often the one to do best (as well as the most vocal or challenging candidate).

I prefer door to door stuff, the posters and so on are useless IMO, and a waste of paper as well as an eyesore. With door to door, I can find out what I need to know by asking them, and challenge them head on with issues I am interested in. Sadly, while my area was littered with posters, and my letterbox bombarded with leaflets, I only had 3 people knocking, all local candidates too.

I think Royston is doing his best to sell himself as a man of the people, which few others seem to be doing, but I just think he's an idiot, I want my politicians to have good policies (along with the ability to follow through on them), not billboards and a big mouth.

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Leaflets - they're around the house and you've time to look at them carefully. Pity most candidates don't seem to harness the power of websites though - this is my preferred way of finding out about current events.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I think posters are the business ! I like seeing the same picture on every lampost for 2 miles on the way to work -really makes me want to vote for the man or woman..NOT

On the Cork - Carrigaline road Cogan put up posters "Cogan No. 1" except each letter was an individual poster on a lampost - talk about distracting drivers trying to make out what its spelling...

Leaflets are good as are personal visits - we had a few mostly from the old stalwarts who come around once a year election or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I found leafleting and to a lesser degree direct mailing to be effective. Posters are too vague and only create name recognition. Radio / TV is limited in the amount of people it can put across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

RTE's website election coverage is poor. RTE really needs to cover news better. Take a leaf our of the BBC.

The BBC website is always up to date. RTE's website is pretty poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

The money I was given to vote for a candidate really was the most effective persuader.

Ah no, but seriously.

Posters - absolute waste of time. Had occasion to drive to Dublin during the week and couldn't believe the amount on the poles. A real eyesore.

Leaflets - boring black and white ones with lots of text were invariably dumped. May have glanced at ones with colour. But overall, a waste of money.

Canvassing - important for the candidate to press the flesh but in all honesty, I couldn't be bothered getting into a conversation with them as you can tell by their expression that they don't have the time.

THE single most effective advertising is the roundup all the candidates received in the local newspaper. This was free coverage. Photo of each, biography and what they stood for and what their priorities were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Should election posters be banned altogether? I'm beginning to think they should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by simu
    Should election posters be banned altogether? I'm beginning to think they should.

Does anyone know if we are the only EU state that allows/uses them? I didn't see any in London when I was over at the end of May, and they had EU and mayoral elections to canvass for...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

http://flogen.blogspot.com/2004/05/my-doorstep-challenge-its-election.html

I threw down this gauntlet, which was totally un-met (perhaps due to the fact that only 3 candidates knocked).

I fully support a ban on posters. Royston based his campaign on that (and his big mouth) and it failed.

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by flogen
    Royston based his campaign on that (and his big mouth) and it failed.

Flogen

But Royston's story about his dad has since been backed up by media reports.

This story has shown that the media got it pretty wrong.

It is akin to albert using the word "CRAP".

Big Deal.

Where has RTE or any media organisation investaged SF/IRA?

The election coverage was in a word - Lazy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

firstly cork, while its almost certain that his dad was kidnapped, there is no proof to say the kidnappers were involved in the Dublin/Monaghan bombings.

Secondly, thats not the only thing he's done for publicity. You can guarentee that when he's in the papers its because he's throwing insults at someone or other, its fair enough if he has an opinion, but I want policies, if he has a problem with a politician, let him tell me how he'd do better, not just tell me that the guy is a clown or an idiot.

as for SF/IRA, when the media don't investigate that, its general laziness, and not just election coverage laziness. And I'm sure that someone would have publicised a provable link by now if they could find one, I have no doubt one exists, but the people in SF/IRA are clever enough to hide it well.

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Royston reminds me of Michael O'Leary from Ryanair. Always shooting his mouth off and insulting someone. Sadly Royston can't offer me cheap flights, so I don't really care what he saying.

A friend remarked to me that even do Royston is a Northsider, his attitude and arrogance makes him look like a Southsider. An interesting point, with no offence intended to Southsiders.

Advertisement