Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief III is out

Options
  • 11-06-2004 2:18pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Argh! There goes my weekend, social life, gf, sunlight dosage etc.

All I need now is some valium, a bigger sofa to hide behind at short notice and a Mommy, in case it gets too scardy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Jebus, that was a very sudden release. :eek: Gotta get my hands on this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you don't feel like being ripped off by Game to the tune of €44.99, it's available on play.com for €28 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    If you don't feel like being ripped off by Game to the tune of €44.99, it's available on play.com for €28 delivered.

is it any good?

how much? for pc version?

probably be ****e on xbox gonna get it tomorrow on the pc.

the game was stupidily renamed cos of the xbox because they would get confused " huh thief3? where's the other two?"

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

thats games a curse you cant see where your going:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

it prolly has a first person view mode as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55736 - unfortunate, hopefully be patched soon.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yeah, it does have a first person view. There was a similar complaint about Soldner there which had a similar answer. Makes you wonder about peoples attention spans tbh.

Feel sorry for the X Boxers - apparently the bug cant be fixed via patch for them unless they can get the game onto their harddrive. Ah well. Another reason why the PC is the ultimate gaming platform.

Its not a game destroying bug anyway. Just means if you want to have the kudos of clearing the game on expert you have to do so without a single reload in a misson. All the more kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

had theif3 for over a week now, its a fantastic game so far.
    i dont use saves (except when in garretts house) so im not hit by that problem.
    ive finished as far as getting access to the keeper library on the hardest difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by jaggeh
    had theif3 for over a week now, its a fantastic game so far.
    i dont use saves (except when in garretts house) so im not hit by that problem.
    ive finished as far as getting access to the keeper library on the hardest difficulty.

Im playing on "hard" (not expert), and do use the saves. The problem is not so much as it reverts to "normal" difficulty, all that happens is the AI skill and number of AI drop.. the harder objectives (and they are considerably harder) remain, so the bulk of difficulty is still there.

Regardless, absolutely great game, makes me sad I missed the first two!!

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

You can grab Thief2 on budget Matt Simis for about £5, its pennies for such an excellent game, unbelievably hard in place's aswell, really a must buy for anyone who likes sneaking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yeah definitly get Thief 2 - Its a classic game. Those Mechanist machines scared the crap out of me the first time I encountered them - Could hear this thumping from what sounded like a long way off and then boom, it was right on top of me with the creepy "prayers".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

brutal game and extremely badly coded, will run like crap no matter how good your system is, wouldn't touch it with a 10ft bargepole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Originally posted by TacT
    brutal game and extremely badly coded, will run like crap no matter how good your system is, wouldn't touch it with a 10ft bargepole!

I was thinking of getting it the weekend. What spec machine have you got that it ran so badly on?

Runs perfectly on a 3 GHz P4, 2 gig of RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

The demo ran fine on my old 1.7 GHz, 512 Ram and 64meg GeForce 4, but apparently mileage is varying quite a lot.

Check the Thief forum at www.ttlg.com - a few tweaking guides and fixes for the now-infamous AI bug etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

cheers tsj

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Just saw this!

Pfffff.... I dont think so. While I would agree if there was no Xbox version the PC one would be superior, it definately isnt either a brutal game or brutally coded. Its a pity you PC isnt up to scratch to enjoy one of the best games of the year (and be fair, lots of people are enjoying it, the problem is your system).

Ive got an Audigy2 ZS with 5.1 sound, and the game fully supports EAX4, wait to you see "The Cradle" section (late in the game), probably the scariest gaming experience ever made, especially with the excellent sound and shadows. Something people will be talking about for years to come.

Matt

It has yet to be run on my system and there is no problem with my system Matt. Thanks for the condescending twattery though, much appreciated! It runs most games great, including farcry on low detail on my ti4200 that's holding the whole thing back at the moment. NV40 mass delay is killing me as they're being hand crafted by aliens in far reaches of the universe and arriving in pods at undisclosed destinations very scarcely and a select few are getting them for ludicrous prices just to find out where they'll land. Pull that baguette out of your bum, it's making you uptight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

NV40 mass delay is killing me as they're being hand crafted by aliens in far reaches of the universe and arriving in pods at undisclosed destinations very scarcely and a select few are getting them for ludicrous prices just to find out where they'll land.
    It's killing us all :(, you have a nice way of describing the feeling:D.

i leterally crapped my pants at one section of "hall of statues"

so far i have yet to be disappointed by this game, the only thing that comes close is the OTT ragdoll, but then that comes into humor value as my 2 flatmates re-enact certain death scenes :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Is it out on PC or just Xbox? Ive only seen it for Xbox and they say "Xbox only" on the box?

Yeah, yeah, I just really like this game. Im just confused I guess:

"Originally posted by TacT
    brutal game and extremely badly coded, will run like crap no matter how good your system is, wouldn't touch it with a 10ft bargepole"

It has yet to be run on my system and there is no problem with my system Matt. Thanks for the condescending twattery though, much appreciated! It runs most games great, including farcry on low detail on my ti4200 that's holding the whole thing back at the moment. ..[snip].. Pull that baguette out of your bum, it's making you uptight.

Aside from the fact those two statements dont really tie together, I would call the problem with your system a "Ti4200" myself.. :rolleyes:

Matt

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Just taking a time-out from the Cradle mission - 'cos I think I have shat myself and the smell is unpleasant.

Don't know about you guys but after having the crap scared out of me by that knocking sound, it took me some time to work up the courage to open that door.

Haven't been scared by a game this much ever - both previous Thief games, AvP and System Shock 2 included.

What a game!

oh, and TacT - you're a big Taffer!

neener neener, whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

The patch is available at : http://forums.ionstorm.com/index.php?showtopic=211561

Its based on the Deus Ex: IW engine, so lots of tweaks are applicable (including getting rid of mouselag...) : http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83310&page=1&pp=25

hopefully it cleans up the performance issues many are having with the game -- seen screenies of high-end systems running at 1280x1024 at 19fps :dunno:

obviously the ti4200 is a bottleneck, what the hell do you think I'm doing waiting on a new card? :ninja:

[edit] snippet from one of the many reviews on Thief III -- Deadly Shadows' graphics are pretty choppy. It's never enough to hinder gameplay, but when you compare the graphic performance of Deadly Shadows to any other action game, first- or third-person, this game comes up short.

What sort of performance are others getting from the game in question, I fear it will be a Deus-Ex II all over personally? Fantastic, the new patch does nothing to address performance[/edit]

hopefully it cleans up the performance issues many are having with the game -- seen screenies of high-end systems running at 1280x1024 at 19fps :dunno:

obviously the ti4200 is a bottleneck, what the hell do you think I'm doing waiting on a new card? :ninja:

[edit] snippet from one of the many reviews on Thief III -- Deadly Shadows' graphics are pretty choppy. It's never enough to hinder gameplay, but when you compare the graphic performance of Deadly Shadows to any other action game, first- or third-person, this game comes up short.

What sort of performance are others getting from the game in question, I fear it will be a Deus-Ex II all over personally? Fantastic, the new patch does nothing to address performance[/edit]

What review was that? Any review I've read has praised the graphics, on a highend system anyway. It runs perfectly at 1024 x 768 on my system as mentioned above, which is the highest res I run anything at anyway.

Also, Shalebridge Cradle is one of the best levels in a game, ever. It's all about the audio :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I think TacT has alzheimers.

Originally posted by Celt
    I think TacT has alzheimers.
    Originally posted by Maximillian
    oh, and TacT - you're a big Taffer!

Good and jolly good, let's call him names! Can I get a side order of what the fcuk to go with that please!

Thanks TSJ, that's good enough for me as I don't fancy any bullet time unless I'm playing Max Payne. :D Was somewhere in the nvnews forums and read a few complaints from folks at anandtech and a few other places..

• Advertisement

runs perfect on ati 9800, my geforce (latest drivers) struggles and i get lots of graphics glitches and lockups, but playing it on the ati system is a dream.

Shalebridge cradle tops my pants crapped list of games knocking the long time runner doom2 off the top spot (the first time a cacodemon appears and screams at you i near sharted)

Advertisement