Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New homepage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Its not bad... I'd like to see the user details centered rather than left aligned, but thats it (and its pretty minor too!!)

Is this the result of the test thing you did with a load of users, or is this just your own personal trial

and will the actual forums be changing too?

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Well done lads. it looks great.
    Afew more recent post would be even better.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

see Cloud... I told you we needed more then 10 :p:p

Seriously though, constructive feedback welcome. I think you can see from this topic already that we are never going to satisfy everyone. That said this is very much Version 0.9... however we had been faffing about with the design etc and that was holding up the new filters on the Latest 15 Posts area... I'm very happy with them. Plus its about 200K smaller so it will load faster and be less strenuous on the webserver.

Onward ever onward...

DeV.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ah, you renamed Journals to Blogs. Good. At least it doesn't sound like a gay diary any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

"I dont like it"

4066.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i'm glad that one never made it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Looks nice.
    Goes fast.
    But some curiousity.

Like all the women I know..
    All two of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The blue icons on the left are hideous. As Bard said, you should consider changing them to white.

I like the center of the page, it's got a very slick and professional styleeee to it, although the greyness kinda reminds me of p45... which clearly isn't a good thing :)

Not too fond of the blue/grey combination over-all though, I prefered the blue/white of the old page.

Just noticed the dropdown rollovers are cyan too... no no no! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

http://www.boards.ie/images/header_left.gif and http://www.boards.ie/images/header_right.gif could be reduced in height.
    Put a Number of threads option in CP perhaps??
    Reduce font-size on news items down one

Under bonnet has lotsa inline styles and stuff (milo menus) outside the html, what's that about or are you not too bothered about that?
    2c
    \r

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

just noticed the fancy new slogan...

boards.ie, get on!

whats the deal with the bojrd on the right hand side?

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Wow, cool. I love the way it resizes for smaller windows/resolution. Faster loading too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

The http://www.boards.ie/index.php?jmode=sub dosn't actually work anymore, it now shows threads I'm not subbed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by flogen

whats the deal with the bojrd on the right hand side?

Flogen

:D Thats meant to say boird, y'know like cuirt or milk ras
    makey-upy Irish....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Very ugly. Too dark. Loads nice and fast though. more threads on the front page. The news section needs cleaning up. The drop-down menus aren't nice at all. Too dark and the classifieds drop-down is especially hard to use now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

Some alt tags on the images used as links would be nice as i use a text based browser most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, the colours ming considerably. And the squiggly bits as mentioned earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Looks good,

Change is always good.....

You need a footer, badly. Maybe a blue one like the top without the links.

Thanks JoePC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

im not loving it.. the old one was better...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

It won't help those who make post on Personal Issues complaining that they're depressed

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Much better. Dragging the main page into 2004.

I don't use it much anyway, but it seems clearer and less cluttered.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

we're going to let this thread run over the weekend and try and collate the fixes/improvements needed on Monday (unless Cloud just spontaneously does stuff over the weekend. You know what he's like).

This is the result of an afternoons hax0ring to get a few things out there (specifically the ability to filter the latest threads into the navigation groupings which I think is nice).

Its not by any stretch of imagination finished and its presented in a "what do you think" kinda way but some people are going to have to understand two things:

1. We cant please everyone, already there are conflicting views here.

2. Sometimes you just need time to get used to change.

Personally I agree with the general feedback here and we'll be tweaking stuff over the next few days/weeks.
    The "Events" area will eventually take threads only from a special forum.... its the start of that "magazine" kinda idea we had before. For now we are pointing it at Boards events.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

<<Never mind, I found it>>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

what about putting the last 5 threads that you posted on - below latest posts?

Latest Post
    Last threads that you posted in <or other name>
    Latest News

if you know what i mean..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

The welcome bar text is too cramped. If you're going to clutter it with time and the welcome message as well as the other options, it might be an idea to change the text colour of one or the other.

Under Latest posts the forum and thread title again are a bit cramped. Text font is a bit small and weedy to make out between forum and thread. I can see you changed the colour, but it's not enough of a colour shift to make it out. You could try aligning it better with some spaces, or again just change the colours so that they contrast. Maybe light/dark/light between forum/thread/poster.

Apart from that I like the change - nice new look to the place. Very...um....Bling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Will have a look at replacing spaghetti on background.

That's my only issue with it - otherwise it looks good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Lacking in color... the individual links/buttons need some color to enhance their meaning

get rid of the cyan and squiggles,

maybe changing the thread links and cp links and poster links to red like before...

Under the "welcome area" and your name and cp options, why not have subscribed threads or threads on which you posted that people have repiled to in the that box and then move onto "latest post area"

and a footer...

just a few ideas... but its looking better already atm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Looking at it on 1024 x 768, sorry to say it but "eurgh!". I prefered the old homepage.

I Like:
    The fast load time. Nice to see you haven't forgotten those of us on 56K.
    The prominence of the most recent posts

I Don't Like:
    The prominence given to things like the photopost and journals over the more important forum navigation bar.
    The "squiggles".
    The "dark" feel.

Constructive points:
    In the "news" section, if a user has a hyperlink in their post it doesn't display properly (see attachment)
    As already pointed out, it badly needs a footer, maybe the "about us" and "contact us" sections could be placed in here?
    The "Boird" seems a little pointless, would prefer to see a little image of something there, maybe the little boards dude that was on the old homepage?
    The "Boird" seems a little pointless, would prefer to see a little image of something there, maybe the little boards dude that was on the old homepage?
    The little buttons aren't that great, it's difficult to recognise what some of them are for on first glance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

AAARRGHH!!

Things are different! Help!!

Etc. We have one of these threads every time the home page changes, we'll all get used to it. I think the super noodles could look decent if they weren't hidden by the block of blue that the 'Albums', 'Chat', etc buttons are on.

Advertisement