Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New homepage

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah I pretty much agree with Jesus_thats_gre... Those would be my first alterations. I liked the stark Blue on White of the last page. I think a couple of quick tweaks and a lot of people will begin to like it.

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Well as is that looks a bit cluttered but I think it looks a heck of a lot more modern than the current one. The Green is a bit too OYRISH though. Latest posts is still too small. Though a scroll bar I like. I would say the latest posts should be given the most priority on the homepage, since I'm guessing most people use the home page for that and for checking for PM's.

Last warning. I'm not joking. Stick to discussing the front page. FYI, a lot of your criticisms are actually based on cosmetic details that were just put there as temporary filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I reckon stick with at least one of the little boards 0_o men. There's something very "boardsy" about them. And the link he draws to the old page would be nice. And without him all the people who went out and bought boards T-Shirts would have to fork out for next seasons new ones.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by ecksor
    Last warning. I'm not joking. Stick to discussing the front page. FYI, a lot of your criticisms are actually based on cosmetic details that were just put there as temporary filler.

Fair enuff. I missed you saying that earlier. Edit both my post and CuLT's lest anyone else slips up. I just realised that I'm seeing a lot of empty space, padding is because I'm running at 1280x1024 and rather than areas like the recent posts stretching to use that space and thus showing more posts you've fixed the height of it. The boards logo and the buttons above the latest post take up too much real estate. They should all be on the same line and alot smaller. It stretches horizontally so I get extra space in the middle. Theres enough room to have two columns of latest posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think replacing the "boird" with the boards "person" would look better. I like the "get on" tag better than the previous though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

We have a split between get on and now ye're talkin' slogans - but I think get on has a number of good links to boards "get on boards", "get on with each other", "get on in business" etc.

Anyway, version 2 of the design is coming soon - and there'll be an old school option for those who miss the boardsmen.

J.
    --

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That's moving in the right direction. Maybe reduce the size of the boards guy buttons slightly and/or move them up slightly to remove the space below the curve.

I'm not gone on the "night-time" theme with the Moon and stars thing either.

Something else that needs to be looked at is the way the google ads show above the dropdowns on society sports and new.

Keep it up, it's getting there!

Well, most of us boards people are night time people so I think it's kind of apt :)

Also,

Om nyom = My moon

:D

What I need now is someone to program some PHP that will display the correct moon depending on the time of month - I've done up the different phases as images, so just need some code to get behind it.

Changes:
    • Cyan in drop down gone (back to yellow)
    • Icons recoloured from cyan (just redoing the last ones now)
    • The redundant space up top has been reduced in size by 25 pixels
    • Squiggles gone, stars shining
    • Get on made bigger
    • boird gone, replaced by moon
    • Old school parameter added (see above)
    • Latest posts now have split forum / thread title (easier to read)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Nothing is impossible when you're an airborne collection of water molecules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Cloud

What I need now is someone to program some PHP that will display the correct moon depending on the time of month - I've done up the different phases as images, so just need some code to get behind it.

That would be pretty impressive me thinks, would it be possible to program sun moving across the sky as the day goes on that updates every half hour or hour or something and then replace it by the moon as night time comes in?

the split forum/thread title is much better as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Originally posted by plazzTT
    But it would be much easier to read the new topics, if the topic titles were listed directly under each other, ie- in a new table cell.

Looks much better like this, I think.

The new yellow icons are nicer, too. I had to refresh my browser once to see them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Originally posted by Cloud
    Also,

Om nyom = My moon

:D

and Naomi is I moan backwards. giggidy giggidy giggidy.

Ahh, i was kinda scared when i first looked at it. It was more professional, made me want to touch myself for the wrong reasons.
    I think the old front page had a bit of homelyness to it and since people were so used to it the change was scarey and sticky.

Its a way forward, the style may change but the contents are still the zainy same.

More cosmetic changes - added space after footer.

Going to add some old school icons on left too (in oldschool=true) mode.

Centered the latest posts categories.

Adding Google search (trial).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats with the News section? There is no news as far as i can see.....the google ads obscure the drop down menus as well.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Not reading the several pags beforehand but the post count is a good thing ,looks a lot better.

Good job :0

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I like the old school one too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ewww place is turning into a google love in

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

latest improvements are cool... although I think white instead of yellow on the left hand icons would be better (or even grey).

Also, theres a gap in the stars thingey on the right, underneath the search button and before the ads, would look better as one piece,.

otherwise, i still think the welcome info should be centered, the bottom looks better with the gap now, but the latest post section is abit cramped (maybe put a gap between the title, the list of all, subbed etc etc, and the actual posts.), infact, alot of the columns there are abit cramped, too close together.

/edit, thinking about it, maybe the searchbar should be at the bottom, and something else (or nothing) in the top right)

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Originally posted by CuLT
    ok, it's not all bad; COMPARISON, folks, this is what 'might have been' :).

Thats actually better than the current one IMO, at least it's not cyan! It's reasonably laid out, athough a unnecessary and slow to load.

Also, while we're mentioning google, a search pane on the frontpage would be cool. Personally I liked the old front page and definitely get the feeling that this is "Changing for change's sake"

Also, DOWN WITH CYAN!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I like the layout, but hate the left bar, and the stars on the right.

And Get On??!?!?!?!

Jesus thats just rubbish.

Now Yer Talkin'!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

"old sckoool" is a great improvement visually but It'd be nice to see the recent posts area increased at the expense of the "events" section - though if this section isn't currently "in use" as its final functionality we'll have to wait to see what will actually be going in there I suppose.

I still vote for white / light grey with small areas of green over the dark blue. Maybe make the top arch continue off to the side of the page rather than continue as two blue colums either side - no need for stars or squiggles then. Otherwise an improvement all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Looking better alright. Still kinda reminds me of a theatre stage, even without the squiggly lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    Thats actually better than the current one IMO, at least it's not cyan! It's reasonably laid out, athough a unnecessary and slow to load.

Also, while we're mentioning google, a search pane on the frontpage would be cool. Personally I liked the old front page and definitely get the feeling that this is "Changing for change's sake"

Also, DOWN WITH CYAN!!!!

Um...the cyans gone.....

Looks good no, but the grey should prolly be white or something, looks out of place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I like it now!

As for "boird", that did smack of tokenism unless it was going to be a link to the Irish forum and then again, it wouldn't be fair to have a special link on the frontpage for that forum only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Oh, big improvement. I like it now.
    The stars .... hmmm.. look a bit childish or something, would that change for the time of the day? :)
    Suns during the day ? :)
    Anyway, a lot nicer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, the cyan has disappeared since my last reply, pleasantly.

Is there any way we can still use the older version of the front page? I much preferred it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

i LOVE this brand new look we have now ^_^

[edit] gah they've changed it again now :( [/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Umm, icons need to be resized along the top, they're taking up two lines on 1024 x 768 or is that just down to the mySQL problems?

Advertisement