Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB in Howth Broken!

• 11-06-2004 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Right well seems my brief use of broand band is about to come to and end :mad:

Ive had it working fine since January and no problems till 3 weeks ago when suddenly my dsl sync kept going on and off - finally get a tech out to the house who is mistified by this but after changing the socket, changing the network cable and simply for the most part glaring at the netcom modem it suddenly starts working! He did discover that somehow along the cabel that i was losing half the dignal :dunno:

Well I had it back and was happy..for awhile..before it keeled over ONCE AGAIN! Now been on through the phone to them and after numerous times of reapeating whats wrong I have finally gotten a call back! "Yes well we have established taht the problem is something to do with the cable laid down in your area and it was not really meant for broadband, so we are bumping this up to the Eircom techs [ I was onto the self-install BB ppl ] who will look at it" Right good enough and the sync was back! :D Oh happy day..well week cause it was gone again! :mad:

Now after several more calss to Eircom they call me to tell me that the line isnt really suitable for Broadband and should never of gotten the a.o.k. to run it. The guy mentions the fact that he sees Ive been having problems with it for awhile and gives the impression that the braodband is most likly going to be dissconnected! I politly ask, Im not into biting peoples heads off over the phone, why though I was having no problems what so ever since January to 3 weeks ago and he honestly replied that he has no idea what has happened to teh line in the past few weeks and that the Eircom tech lads are still investigating.

Now I do know that Im at the very fringe of the area to recieve bb - a guy came looking to sign me up and when I told him I was already on eircom he was surprised saying that teh people across the road we not able to get it..though why he was bothering trying to sign people up Ill never know!. Anyway - has anyone else suddenly experienced similure pros like these? Or anybody out near Howth, Dublin who is able to conect? I hope they find whatever happened and fix it quickly but curious how many people are affected like i am :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Can you look into the properties of your modem? Many have basic stats about the DSL circuit, giving the approximate length of copper and signal strength. If you can find those, please post them here.
    IF you are at the upper distance limit, small changes to the cable plant might adversely effect your connection. Things like water are a big problem but you would think it would've been worse in the winter. Although, it has been wet quite a bit lately.

Advertisement