Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Keeps us (and them) in the Dark..

• 11-06-2004 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

From RTE-
    RTÉ welcomes ruling on election records

11 June 2004 15:45

RTÉ has welcomed a High Court judgement over-ruling a decision by the Information Commissioner regarding the release of records of in-house monitoring of RTÉ election campaign coverage.

The Information Commissioner had ruled that the national broadcaster must release records of its monitoring of its own election campaign coverage.

RTÉ had argued that the release of the records could undermine its journalism.

The broadcaster says its journalism depends on a degree of confidentiality and should therefore remain outside the terms of the Freedom of Information Act.

RTE being the *cough* national broadcaster should be fully accountable in its use of airtime vis a vis political coverage. You dont need to be Einstein to know many in RTE have a certain bias (the puff piece on New At One yesterday for Christy Moores' anti Bush tune was a textbook example) so it seems to me they have to be as accountable as the politicans they cover.

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

this is good to see, I think its vital that bias in Irish elections should be kept to a minimum, and monitored as much as possible.

As far as bias against Bush etc, that doesn't concern me as much. I dont see any major or worrying bias, or one that is uncalled for, but at the same time, even if there was, I'd much rather that than a bias on local issues (which are the ones the viewer makes a decision on)

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

This post reminds me of the divorce referendum. Could there have been MORE biased coverage in all media at the time (with exception of Sunday BP if memory serves me) including RTE's coverage which was quite stagerring in it's hostility to the no camp.

Advertisement