Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Higher level

Options
  • 11-06-2004 4:37pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭

any pointers cause im not sure what to study??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

genetics, digestion, excretion, biochemistry, reproduction and experiments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Where exactly did you gain these pointers?

6 biggest chapters in the book and have been on every sample paper so it sounds about right

ps ecology

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

everything!! anything could come up.

two things that definatley will tho are food and ecology. it'd be a help to know all the exeriments in those two topics too!

What exactly would they ask about experiments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Procedures (what do you do before cutting cow's head off?)
    Apparatus used (What chemical was used and what effect did it have?)

That sort of sith.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

ehh section B?? the section of short questions devoted entirely to experiments. (its also here that one of the questions will undoubtably be ecology or food.)

also one or two of the long questions may have "describe an experiment to show [blah blah]"

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by Kold

Hehe did you even look at the sample papers this year Kold? :)

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Does anyone know if there was any other experiment to demonstrate osmosis? My class did not do the Visking Tube, we did another one, but I totally forgot any details on it. It's frustrating.

• Advertisement

Anyone?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

there is only the one as far as the course is concrned

Does the second experiment involve potatoes or some ****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Originally posted by conZ
    Procedures (what do you do before cutting cow's head off?)

Kill it ?

Sorry I couldn't resist ;)

Does the second experiment involve potatoes or some ****?
    exactly!!!! wat's it called and do u have any info on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

We read about it, but we didn't do it. It's something to do with cutting two equal-sized cubes out of the same potato (so that they're of the same density, weight etc), rinsing them, drying them, weighing them, putting one in a solution and just leaving another out, leave them for a few hours and then take them out and weigh them again. The one in the solution will have gone up in weight, thus proving osmotic activity has taken place blah blah blah.

PS: That was made up. Don't count on it, but I think it's okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 uary

Cut out a scoop in 2 potatoes,
    put them in water
    put sugar or salt in cavity of one
    levae other one alone
    water comes into cavity of one with salt or sugar
    no water in other.

Just studied that Potatoe demonstration of Osmosis in study, so it's fresh in my,.. what the **** is that called.. thing in your head. Goes beep,... Ahh! fresh in my mind.

Do demonstrate Osmosis:

Get two spuds (I think I might actually use spuds in the exam if it comes up) - two spuds of any/different size.

Weigh them both.

Set up two beakers - one with 5% salt solution, and the other with distilled water.

Label them, or whatever.

Leave both for 20 minutes. Come back, and measure each spud after taking them out of the water.

Results:
    Spud 1 : Salt solution : Weight 7.5g -> 7.5g
    Spud 2 : Water : Weight 9.0g -> 10.5 g

You get the general idea. Draw a little picture, to waste time and look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Photosynthesis hasn`t come up for the last 2 years

I'm sure ye're all aware that this is the first year of the new Biology Syllabus. Therefore, with the Education departments retardedness and following on from trends set in recent years, there will most likely be a few mistakes in the paper (that frog question that came up a few years back, that also appeared sometime during the 70's).

Well, the Biology question-setters are infamous for their papers.

I was told about that question by my Maths grind teacher, and he said that everyone who attempted the question got full marks.

So what deems an attempt at the question? --Writing the question number at the top of the page, or writing a sentance or two.
    I know in maths an attempt is deemed an attempt when you get the first line correct.

I'm pushing on 8/1 with a dodgy question this year.

• Advertisement

I haven't studied. So I'm pretty much relying on every question being messed up, resulting in me getting full marks for my pathetic attempts at them, and being given an A1. That's the plan, at least.

I didn't do a bean for the mocks. Not a sausage, and I managed to get 40% on the button by taking pot-shots at a few parts of each question. It was pathetic, but I passed - so with any bit of effort and knowledge of experiments, you could go far.

Hopefully though, my experience will be somewhat different tomorrow evening.

I've only done the human biology, no plants for me. Gonna cram some Ecology and Experiments in after my Business exam... hopefully I'll have enough time.

I didn't do a bean for the mocks. Not a sausage, and I managed to get 40% on the button by taking pot-shots at a few parts of each question. It was pathetic, but I passed - so with any bit of effort and knowledge of experiments, you could go far.

Hopefully though, my experience will be somewhat different tomorrow evening.

I don't know. My Biology's gone to hell, really, since the mocks. In the mock, I got 82%, but I don't remember a thing. I did way more work for the mocks than for the actual Leaving Cert...

Originally posted by Cathy
    I don't know. My Biology's gone to hell, really, since the mocks. In the mock, I got 82%, but I don't remember a thing. I did way more work for the mocks than for the actual Leaving Cert...
    Me too, I've actually only started to revise about half a week ago

Try this on for size: I haven't looked at a Biology book since school ended. And that's including this evening. I really have to go and study... good luck tomorrow, everyone! If you're as bad as me, you'll need it...

Thanks, you too, I'll need luck for Business haven't studied that since school finished, ugh! :(

T minus 2 hours

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

hmmm.....
    looks like nobody left early so far....

(i dont do biology....)

• Advertisement

****ing hell, That was a **** hard paper. What the hell was with that DNA diagram? For the first exam of the new syllabus you'd expect it to be easy.

I think I just barely passed if even. :mad:

Advertisement