Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No more signings at united.

• 11-06-2004 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

In an interview on M.U.T.V. David Gill has said that Fergie is happy with his squad and there will be no more signings in the near future.

At first I wasn,t happy about this but I was forgetting about Miller arriving to give us more options in Midfield and with his recent excellent performanc for Ireland I do think he can hold down a position at united. I alos highly rate Alan Smith nd I,m sure he will do well at united. I don't know much of Henize but the word is that he will play at left back.

So while initally disappointed at the statement united have strengthened in all 3 areas of the pitch and there and with Fletcher and Ronaldo showing signs of maturing nicely and Djemba x2 and Klebeson settled in and another couple of youth team players knocking at the door things are not as bad as I first thought.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm fairly happy with the squad now, I would have liked Mexes but ya can't win em all :)

You got

Howard/Caroll

----

G Neville - Ferdinand - Sylvestre - Heinze
    with P Neville, O Shea and Brown as cover

----

Ronaldo - Keane - Scholes - Giggs
    with Miller, Kleberson, Butt, DD, Fletcher, and Fortune as cover

----

Saha - Van Nist
    with Smith as cover

It ain't a bad squad tbh :)
    I'd like Fergie to try out a Diamond formation with Keane and Scholes but I doubt that'll happen :)

The one thing I think we miss in midfield is a creative spark.
    I think Man Utd will now work hard and get the goals consistantly, but I think its missing an extra creative spark that someone like Zidane or Ronaldinho can provide, I'm hoping fergie has something hatching :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Did they sell solsjaer ?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

How could you forget Ollie;) Here is the squad AfAIK for next season Unless i,m forgetting someone

GK: Howard, Carroll, Ricardo
    DF: GNeville, Ferdinand, Silvestre, O'Shea, Brown, Fortune*, PNeville, Heinze
    MF: Ronaldo, Scholes, Keane, Giggs, Solskjaer, Butt, Djemba, Kleberson, Miller, Fletcher
    ST: van Nistelrooy, Saha, Smith, Forlan, Bellion

Happy enought with that Myself TBH but I was expecting another one or two to arrive with some moving out forlan and Butt being the obvious ones to go.

* Fortune is out with a long term injury??

Werder Bremen looking likely to have Kleberson on loan for undisclosed period of time.

kdjac

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Werder Bremen looking likely to have Kleberson on loan for undisclosed period of time.

kdjac

Yeah I heard that all right but I,m not too sure that its true. He has had some problems in his private life since his move so I think he may get another season at United to prove himself. Fergie usually gives his signings a fair crack of the whip(veron) before giving up on them. Klebesons quotes from the article below suggest he is staying.

KLEBERSON: NO REAL PROBLEMS

Brazilian midfielder Kleberson insists he has endured no major problems adjusting to life in England, despite failing to sparkle at Manchester United.
    The World Cup winner signed for the dethroned champions last summer but has been unable to recapture his best form.

He has suffered with injuries and a lack of regular action during his debut season at Old Trafford, whilst failing to justify his price tag.

Kleberson has also undergone personal upheaval following the birth of his first child in November but the Samba ace is adamant it has not seriously affected him.

"I am really happy here, so is my wife and also my baby was born here," Kleberson told the club's website. "I am really happy that my baby was born here in Manchester.

"There have been no real problems. Obviously there has been some acclimatisation but no real problems.

"I'm looking forward to next season when I can really show what I am worth."

The South American has occasionally filled in on the right flank and has also been deployed as the support man for a lone striker during the campaign.

Being played out of position has contributed to a disappointing season but Kleberson is confident he can rediscover his peak form next term.

He added: "It's been really frustrating. I played a few games at the start of the season but then got injured.

"I haven't had a full run but I am just looking forward to next year. Next year I really want to help Manchester United.

"You've seen a little of me but not the full me. Next season the fans will see the real Kleberson.

"My true position is in the midfield, that is where I played before I came here and that is where I played during the World Cup.

"However, I don't mind if I play on the right of midfield, I can play there. I don't care where I play as long as I am performing consistently for Manchester United."

• Advertisement

He Utds best signing in years ,but as football goes he may never get his form back owith Utd. he the one player i looking forward to seeing next season hope its with Utd.

kdjac

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

First of all, I doubt this is true - saying United aren't signing any new players keeps the value of their potential targets down.

If it is though, it's a pretty unimpressive summer spending show by United. Now there's nothing wrong with what they've done so far - Heinze will probably replace O'Shea at LB, Miller will get a few games and Smith will be a useful sub. It gives their squad more strength in depth and marginally strengthens their first XI. However, it's not much of a statement of intent and is hardly going to have Chelsea and Arsenal quaking in their boots, much less the likes of Real Madrid and AC Milan in Europe. When you have so much money as Manchester United do, I would have thought they'd be setting their sights a little higher. For a club their size they should be matching their ambition with their stature and be trying to dominate the premiership as well as win multiple CLs. Heinze, Miller and Smith don't really suggest they are doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I agree with Kaids here, very average signings by United, no established players, looks like they are following the same pattern as last year.
    Heinze - dont know anthing about him, will hold off on judgement
    Miller - has pottential but i feel more than likely another Colin Healy
    Smith - OverHyped average player at best

Theres not a hope in hell united will get anywhere in the champions league or even close to Arsenal or Chelsea in the league if they don't sign a central midfield player with a bit of creativity.

With Euros on now ,they maybe should have bought "the player" that comes out of it with an extra 20 million on his price thus avoiding buying poborsky again.

kdjac

Originally posted by kaids
    First of all, I doubt this is true - saying United aren't signing any new players keeps the value of their potential targets down.

If it is though, it's a pretty unimpressive summer spending show by United. Now there's nothing wrong with what they've done so far - Heinze will probably replace O'Shea at LB, Miller will get a few games and Smith will be a useful sub. It gives their squad more strength in depth and marginally strengthens their first XI. However, it's not much of a statement of intent and is hardly going to have Chelsea and Arsenal quaking in their boots, much less the likes of Real Madrid and AC Milan in Europe. When you have so much money as Manchester United do, I would have thought they'd be setting their sights a little higher. For a club their size they should be matching their ambition with their stature and be trying to dominate the premiership as well as win multiple CLs. Heinze, Miller and Smith don't really suggest they are doing that.

For those of you who don 't get MUTV, here are the quotes from Gill in his interview with Steve Bowyer tonight : I have to say I had the same initial reaction as Kaids when I heard this first but on reflection United have purchased 9 new first team players in less than 12 months.

I suppose with Uniteds resources the expectancy is to for them to buy household names but Chelsea have shown that does not guarentee you the premeirship and Arsenal have done ok without splashing silly money on established "superstars". It can be argued that it is shortsighted for europe but then again Porto did ok without going down that road. Team spirt is very important in soccer and it's difficult to maintain that when you are dealing with huge ego's. Over all I,d be happy enough and Gill did leave the door open if some one special like Gerrard became available.

Bowyer: Is that the end of the spending?

Gill: I think we’ve done a lot of it now. I’ve spoken with Alex. We’ve got a large squad now. There should be some trimming of that…potentially. But I think if you look at the composition in all areas now, goalkeeping, defence, midfield and attack, we’ve got a very, very strong team. And around about the 24 sort of players in that squad and I think it’s a level we’re comfortable with, Alex is comfortable with, so I think it’s there or thereabouts.

Bowyer: So it’s fair to say that it’s unlikely to see any more new faces arriving now before the new season arrives?

Gill: Well, you can never say never but in terms of what…we sat down with Alex before he went away and talked about the targets, we’ve achieved the 2 key targets that he wanted, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I think squad is fine along with the 3 signings of Smith,Miller,Heinze.
    United were top of the premiership in january last year, then we lost Rio and replaced him with an UN-FIT Wes Brown and it all went wrong. But with the signings Fergie has made i would expect United to do alot better then last season.

I'm worried about where O'Shea will play for United? If fergie wants a back for of :

Neville Rio Heinze Silvestre

then its not looking good for O'shea. he did say he started playing football as a winger so maybe a replacement for giggs?? just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I've no real problem with signing big names, but I don't see why a signing isn't good unless its a big name.

Case and point Henry :)

I can't imagine any reason why United would say this unless it was a ploy?
    Why would you tell everyone you won't be buying anyone? What upside is it to you?
    The upside is that the prices of their targets will go down.
    Seems kinda odd to me :)

Originally posted by Dewey

I'm worried about where O'Shea will play for United? If fergie wants a back for of :

Neville Rio Heinze Silvestre

then its not looking good for O'shea. he did say he started playing football as a winger so maybe a replacement for giggs?? just a thought.

I think Heinze will play at Left back with the first choice defence next season being

G Neville Rio Sylvester Heinze,

Wes will replace Rio until he returns. If John O Shea reproduces the form of his first season he will be challenging for a place and he can play at right back too so he may be seen as the long term replacement for Neville.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Ricardo ain't with Utd no more by the way.

I also would expect at least one more big signing. Call it a hunch but I don't buy that crap by Gill.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'd say we'll see one more big name signing, after Euro 2004. It will probably someone who performs well at the Championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Yeah Alex likes those fad players. A long haired Czech srings to mind.

Originally posted by NightStrike
    Ricardo ain't with Utd no more by the way.

Where is he then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Sporting Lisbon I think.

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    Sporting Lisbon I think.

He was only on loan there and was dropped for the last match. They are not interested in offering him a contract so at the moment he is still a United player and unless anyone else tries to sign him he will be back in the united squad next season.

Advertisement