Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

download speed

• 11-06-2004 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Ok this will probably prove to be a spectacularly stupid question but hey...

Basically I got UTV Clicksilver last night. Now I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that this would allow me to download lots of cool stuff from kazaa lite. However it seems to take ages to downlaod stuff. Perhaps in my naivety I figured that I would be able to download the odd movie fairly handily but when i tried this out last night it said that it would take 8 hours or more to do this.

Was I worong in thinking that broadband would enable you to download movies very quickly? Or is there something that I may be doing wrong. The connection itself seems to be pretty fast in downloading web pages.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Phelim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

(a) kazaa is a Peer to Peer based network - What does this mean to you? the combined upstream of the user(s) you are downloading from is the maximum potential speed you can download at. look at the bandwidth tab on kazaa lite, the higher the better. The more sources, the better.

(b) An average movie encoded in Divx is about 700 megs. You would be lucky to take a 700meg movie down in 5 - 8 hours depending on the amount of sources and the bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

go into the options screen, change the maximum sources to something like 10.
    do a search and only download something that has more than 7 or 8 sources.
    then go to the download window, right click on the file you've started downloading and choose 'find more sources for download'

you'll never get full speeds from a file that only has a couple of sources

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Your connection is also contended so you are gonig to get different speeds at differnt times fo the day depending on how many other users are using the service at the same time and what they are using it for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by Phelim 3:16
    it said that it would take 8 hours or more to do this.
    8 hours is good. 3 days non-stop (69ish hours) is kinda bad :rolleyes:

Also, 700MB in 8 hours is about 1.4MB/sec, which is VERY good. What were you expecting, by the way? To download a DVD in 2 minutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I always use a single, known, reliable source for speedtests, usually a local ftp server - generally HEANet. Of course, this is also where I do a lot of my downloading from, so I get confirmation of my speed (50KB/s and over) and the latest iso at the same time. No movies there though,,,,,

More relevant to your original query, I also use bittorrent - never bothered with any other P2P stuff - and I generally get 40KB/s or more that way, and often 50KB/s. And I believe you can get movies that way too...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

the problem is kazza is crap
    use dc++ or bit torrent

both require you to forward port on your router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by the_syco
    700MB in 8 hours is about 1.4MB/sec

Can you handle a small correction, syco?!

8 hours = 8 x 60 x 60 = 28800 seconds

700MB in 28800 seconds = 0.0243MB/sec = 24.3KB/sec

Not the worst, but you can definitely do better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

would be interesting to rknow where you can up with the 1.4MB/sec figure syco

Advertisement